RW Jesse Puljujärvi - Kärpät, Liiga (2016 Draft) IV

Status
Not open for further replies.

buttman*

Puljujärvi has one weakness that will hamper him in the NHL. Good skater, great size, good shot, good iq but still weak in one area.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
How convinient ;)

Not really a stretch, as his game is far more well-rounded than Laine's. He's also big, way better skater, better hockey sense...

He doesn't have the release or booming shot, but he's got Laine beat in a lot of important categories.

yourbestfriend

May 28, 2010
Not really a stretch, as his game is far more well-rounded than Laine's. He's also big, way better skater, better hockey sense...

He doesn't have the release or booming shot, but he's got Laine beat in a lot of important categories.

I would say outside of shot, he might have laine beat in a lot of categories.
With that being said, goal scoring is at a premium in the NHL right now and having that guy who can just flat out score is important.

Laine will most likely turn out to be the better goal scorer, but it's very possible jesse ends up being the better player.

strat1

Jan 14, 2016
Hands: Laine>Pulju
Shot: Laine>Pulju
Skating: Pulju>Laine
Hockey IQ: Laine>Pulju
Fitness: Pulju>Laine

I have watched both of their games lot recently.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Pulju would be welcomed in Edmonton with open arms. Besides, he would feel more at home in Northern Alberta, Canada than in the USA :sarcasm:.

McDavid-Pulju would be absolutely insane. That could become the deadliest C-RW combination in the NHL very quickly.

Blabber

Mar 20, 2016
How can Columbus not be sold on this guy???

Well some seem to have opinion that Jesse is not a star potential, because he doesn't have the smoothest hands and doesn't slow down the game like most of the stars do. Hes got the full on mentality most of the time wich can be interpreted in Philström kind of game. That type of player is too familiar for us Finns so nobody wouldn't like to see them anymore.:)

But most of us see that there is more to his game than just skating fast. He also knows where to be near the net to get the puck.. That's also a quality star players have.

PLUS I'm a fan because Jesse entertains me! Like his attitude, speed and love for the game!

ijuka

May 14, 2016

All of this is accurate, good job.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki

I would have them:

Hockey IQ: Laine=<Pulju

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

you're forgetting stamina, Pulju has a crazy amount of stamina where as Laine is very efficient by doing smart gliding and stuff to save energy

edit: i guess stamina fits under 'fitness'

Last edited:

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015

If you had followed Liiga you'd know his shot is booming and slapper is harder (but not as awkwardly accurate) than Laine's (I know Laine said he had a bad stick in the competition but I just dont buy the excuse). He needs to work on his wrister, and his goal scoring in general.

Ippenator

Jan 6, 2016
Espoo
If you had followed Liiga you'd know his shot is booming and slapper is harder (but not as awkwardly accurate) than Laine's (I know Laine said he had a bad stick in the competition but I just dont buy the excuse). He needs to work on his wrister, and his goal scoring in general.

Otherwise I agree with you, but I would say that Pulju is quite close to Laine with his slapper and onetimer. I don't necessarily agree that Pulju's slapshot accuracy is really even worse than Laine's. And he can also shoot excellent onetimers. But I see it so that Laine can shoot better slappers and onetimers from very difficult positions and this makes him a better shooter with his slapper and onetimer. But it really is the truth that Pulju's slapper is even harder than Laine's.

In my opinion Pulju has much more to fix with his wrister. His accuracy with his wrister has been much worse than Laine's. And Pulju takes also way too long to wind up his wrister, which makes it easier for opponents to get close to him and block his shot, or get under his skin, which leads in a desperate and not so accurate wrister.

Seriously Pulju's slapper and even onetimer are almost on Laine's level, but he is way behind Laine with his wrister. Hopefully he can develop his wrister much closer to Laine's level though. I do believe that it could be possible.

Blabber

Mar 20, 2016

It's accurate although could put it differently and it would still be pretty accurate. Great thing is that when thinking about margins.. We can say we have two exceptional players here. Puljujärvis shot is not that far from excellent yet Laines shot is amazing.

By the way, Jesses scoring ability in front of the net is better than Laines who can only score in front of the net on a breakaway. Has anyone noticed this? But the things Laine trys to do is what one should try do in these situations and that's why I'm not worried. It will come.. Same for Jesse, his wrister and other stuff will get refined by time.

ijuka

May 14, 2016

That's on a stationary puck. Laine's one timer is much more powerful than Pulju's. This is a fact. Pulju has a really weird one timer style. It's not at all like his full power slapper. I guess the most important thing still is that Laine's one timer is almost always on target, Pulju's goes wherever and he often whiffs the puck entirely. Well, not "often" but moderately commonly.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I would have them:

Hockey IQ: Laine=<Pulju

How can anyone say that Pulju's hockey IQ is on par or even better than Laine's?

I mean anyone that has watched more than 10 games from them?

Laine's hockey IQ is one of his best assets. Finnish so called hockey analyst, actually more like a clown Vesa Rantanen did put it well: Pulju has to rush where the puck is. Laine goes to where puck will come later.

Laine also sees his team mates better than Pulju, altough Pulju also does very clever passes every now and then. Against Tappara in FEL playoffs I thought that most of decisions by Pulju were just bad. He was mostly just shooting the puck towards the net just after the blueline and then tried to fight that puck back.

I challenge you to make a shift-by-shift videos of Pulju playing FEL playoffs. And then compare them to videos of Laine.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Mhm, Puljujärvi's IQ isn't a huge strength of his. His strengths lie in effort, fitness, speed and battling along the boards. He also is pretty good offensively and in front of the net and his vision for passing is actually quite good. While his IQ isn't bad and he'll have some good and innovative plays, he's not quite the artist and his situational awareness for the momentum of the game isn't that great, leading into him being in the wrong place at the wrong time as a relatively common occurance. He is able to fix those mistakes with his skating for the most part, but that's no reason to pretend that they don't happen.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
Finnish so called hockey analyst, actually more like a clown Vesa Rantanen did put it well: Pulju has to rush where the puck is. Laine goes to where puck will come later.

I don't really agree with Rantanen's statement here but there is a lot more to hockey IQ than positioning. It's more about an understanding of the flow of the game, being able to think ahead of the play and how quickly the events that occur around the player are processed inside his mind.

Pulju shows quicker thinking on the ice. He's the smarter player inside the perimeter where he's better at finding open ice, while Laine excels more within the area where he finds most of his scoring opportunities. Pulju's thinking and processing of the play clearly happen on a larger scale.

Laine also sees his team mates better than Pulju, altough Pulju also does very clever passes every now and then. Against Tappara in FEL playoffs I thought that most of decisions by Pulju were just bad. He was mostly just shooting the puck towards the net just after the blueline and then tried to fight that puck back.

The ability to see the ice relates to vision rather than hockey IQ. But I disagree Laine has better vision, it's a wash in my book. Both can see the ice very well.

Regarding the bolded, simply not true. But you have said Pulju was as bad in the series as Laine was in the Gold Medal Game at the WHC, in which Laine played brutal for most of the time, so obviously we're going to disagree on this to no end. Pulju didn't make bad decisions as many or to the extent as you make it out to be.

I challenge you to make a shift-by-shift videos of Pulju playing FEL playoffs. And then compare them to videos of Laine.

I don't have the footage, tools and even time or interest to compile a shift-by-shift video. If you do you can share and I will analyze it. But of the highlights available over the internet here is one that represents well Pulju's high IQ:

ijuka

May 14, 2016
A shift by shift video takes maybe an hour to make for a single match.

Here's one from u-20s. Let's see if you see what I see.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
A shift by shift video takes maybe an hour to make for a single match.

Here's one from u-20s. Let's see if you see what I see.

There was a pretty big contrast between the first two and the third period.

A few viewpoints from periods 1-2:

- Excellent puck support both defensively and offensively.

- Showed great situational awareness on the Laine goal (along with his vision).

- Impressed by his positioning in front of the net and as he was skating towards the net far side.

- The most glaring mistake: as he was entering the zone with the puck off a rush during the 1st period, he took the puck to the corner which led to a shot from a pretty bad angle. Would have rather seen him pass it to the second wave instead of going for a rebound. I get what he was going after, it just didn't end up looking good for him.

The third was a pretty bad period from him and as I recall it was bad from everyone else as well. A couple brutal turnovers and misshandles of the puck and didn't show nearly the same positional awareness as during the first two.

Next thread: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2088731

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad