RW Jesse Puljujärvi (2016, 4th, EDM) VII

McKappa

philip bruhberg
Oct 16, 2011
Edmonton
Jesse Puljujarvi has recently been sent down to the AHL, I think he still qualifies as a prospect as this point. Time to reopen his prospect discussion.

Just scored his first goal in the AHL, currently quite dominant in his first handful of games on the condors.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
He's looked awesome in the AHL.

Completely different player than in the NHL, he's driving his line, controlls the puck a lot better, has made some beatiful patient plays and you can see he wants to make a difference.
His skating also really stands out there.

Basically looks like a guy who should be in the NHL but as it's Pulju 1st line minutes with sniper role on the pp is best for him in the AHL.

Just wish he didn't have defenseman as Lw on his line.

Last edited:

jebs

Mar 4, 2011
He's looked awesome in the AHL.

Completely different player than in the NHL, he's driving his line, controlls the puck a lot better, has made some beatiful patient plays and you can see he wants to make a difference.
His skating also really stands out there.

Basically looks like a guy who should be in the NHL but as it's Pulju 1st line minutes with sniper role on the pp is best for him in the AHL.

I just wish he didn't have defenseman as Lw on his line.

NHL is just too fast for him atm. They should leave him down there to work on things.

The fact he's dominating in the AHL is great at his age tho.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
NHL is just too fast for him atm. They should leave him down there to work on things.

The fact he's dominating in the AHL is great at his age tho.

I agree that AHL is the best place for him right now.
Let him work on puck handling and let him build his confidence up.

But he just looks like a player who should be in the NHL.
A month or so in the AHL and then call up if he keeps playing like this.

(Damm he just hit the post :shakehead )

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
His goal tonight

He has 4 points in 4 games now and from what I've seen in these first 3 games, he has been pretty much a tier above everyone on the ice. Most of the times he looks as dominant as he was in the prospect camp games back in the summer.

I think one of the biggest things he needs to work on to fully get his potential shown is to compete harder for the puck. He has the reach, skating and mindset to be great at takeovers but he isn't aggressive enough most of the times but that could be just him adapting into what he can do on the ice and what he can't.

He is still raw and it's going to be really awesome to see him reaching his full potential in the future.

YourAverageFan*

Jan 19, 2016
Puljujarvi is sooo good. Even as a Flames fan, it annoys me how the Oilers handled him (like they have with every other top prospect) this season.

To me, he's clearly NHL ready as he's an amazing skater, is already pretty reliable defensively, drives play, and his offense speaks for itself among many other things.

He never really got a chance to prove his worth. Even when he was given a few games on the top line with McDavid, he was quickly thrown back down the lineup.

He's gonna be a great player

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
Wow that shot of the face-off... we haven't had a player like that in ages, his confidence in just 4 games is already much higher than it was in the NHL. Next season will be the unleashing of the one they call Jesse Puljujarvi.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
When comparing Draisaitl's first season (39 games) vs. Pulju's, Pulju has looked much, much better than Draisaitl did. Bodes extremely well for the future for him and the Oilers.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
His goal tonight

He has 4 points in 4 games now and from what I've seen in these first 3 games, he has been pretty much a tier above everyone on the ice. Most of the times he looks as dominant as he was in the prospect camp games back in the summer.

I think one of the biggest things he needs to work on to fully get his potential shown is to compete harder for the puck. He has the reach, skating and mindset to be great at takeovers but he isn't aggressive enough most of the times but that could be just him adapting into what he can do on the ice and what he can't.

He is still raw and it's going to be really awesome to see him reaching his full potential in the future.

Packed house

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
When comparing Draisaitl's first season (39 games) vs. Pulju's, Pulju has looked much, much better than Draisaitl did. Bodes extremely well for the future for him and the Oilers.

Indeed.

I said it before the season started and i still believe in it, that once Pulju becomes NHL regular he's going to do it with a bang. He doesn't need to improve his skating, he's a strong kid with great skill, heavy shot.. For him it's all about learning how to be good along the boards and work in tight spaces. And of course work on his stamina so he can go up and down the ice and use his skating to his advantage.

Once he gets comfortable and puts all the tools in the right toolbox there is no "development" period after that. He's going to be a capable top 6 player right away. Then the sky is the limit how far he can go.

I think there's no need to rush him this year. He hasn't gone through a longer stretch of playing a top 6 role against men in his career yet. Back in Finland he played for the deepest offensive team and got some favorable matchups at times. I think it would work wonders for him to be that go-to guy for a longer period of time, and to do that in the smaller rink just makes it all the better.

While i do think it's obviously not good for a young kid to sit in the pressbox, for Pulju it was probably a good thing to see what the NHL is about and stick with the team for a while. To me it sends a message that the Oilers management trust he's going to be in the NHL soon. It probably took longer than people expected to send him down, but it was only 30 games or so. A lot of hockey to be played in the AHL this season.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
1/10 no stick twirl celly.

Although Cherry would be so proud.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Predicting 1.2-1.3 Ppg for Pulju at 2:3 goals to assists.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
Indeed.

I said it before the season started and i still believe in it, that once Pulju becomes NHL regular he's going to do it with a bang. He doesn't need to improve his skating, he's a strong kid with great skill, heavy shot.. For him it's all about learning how to be good along the boards and work in tight spaces. And of course work on his stamina so he can go up and down the ice and use his skating to his advantage.

Once he gets comfortable and puts all the tools in the right toolbox there is no "development" period after that. He's going to be a capable top 6 player right away. Then the sky is the limit how far he can go.

I think there's no need to rush him this year. He hasn't gone through a longer stretch of playing a top 6 role against men in his career yet. Back in Finland he played for the deepest offensive team and got some favorable matchups at times. I think it would work wonders for him to be that go-to guy for a longer period of time, and to do that in the smaller rink just makes it all the better.

While i do think it's obviously not good for a young kid to sit in the pressbox, for Pulju it was probably a good thing to see what the NHL is about and stick with the team for a while. To me it sends a message that the Oilers management trust he's going to be in the NHL soon. It probably took longer than people expected to send him down, but it was only 30 games or so. A lot of hockey to be played in the AHL this season.

Excellent post. I think another factor commonly forgotten is the kid barely speaks any English, Laine was more prepared for life in Western Canada (it was the best situation for both to come to the Prairies like Kurri and Selanne did IMO).

I think the Oilers might have had some hesitations about sending him to California right away and wanted him around the team.

In any event, he's dominating in the AHL right now which is awesome to see.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Wow that shot of the face-off... we haven't had a player like that in ages, his confidence in just 4 games is already much higher than it was in the NHL. Next season will be the unleashing of the one they call Jesse Puljujarvi.

I was surprised by that wrister, I don't recall him having such a fast and effortless release back in Liiga, just a really hard slapper!

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
The enormous Draisaitl talk is bit stupid given how Draisaitl in comparison was moving like a tanker ship while Puljujärvi at least should be physically ready given that he has been a professional ice hockey player since the age of 15 with large ice surface ice ball background. Those factors should work in your favour early on.

Joe MacMillan

Aug 10, 2005
Helsinki
With a defenseman and ECHLer in his line? Doubt it.

Not that unlikely. On top of his points he has two posts, been robbed by a goalie of a goal he scores 9 times out of ten, and has created several grade-A chances for his line mates (that didn't materialize). He truly looks dominant and going around 1.5 PPG isn't far-fetched at all by the looks of it.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The enormous Draisaitl talk is bit stupid given how Draisaitl in comparison was moving like a tanker ship while Puljujärvi at least should be physically ready given that he has been a professional ice hockey player since the age of 15 with large ice surface ice ball background. Those factors should work in your favour early on.

The comparison is once you are a blue chip elite prospect you dont suddenly lose that because of a cold stretch in NL as an 18 year old rookie

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
As for Puljujarvi he is doing very well in the AHL, some may say borderline dominating very early on. It is my belief all JP needed was some confidence. He looked solid in games 7-20 this year in NHL but lost confidence due to missing a bunch of chances/playing lower in lineup/struggling a bit, a couple of factors. When he lost confidence his play started to really dip and he wasnt dynamic at all

In the AHL he is getting his confidence back in spades. I could see him in NHL by game 65

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Who are his linemates? I can't figure out how to find line combinations for AHL.

Laleggia Lw, Currie C, Pulju Rw.

His linemates have 11& 12 points in 30+ games.

Last edited:

Narow

Nov 11, 2016
I was surprised by that wrister, I don't recall him having such a fast and effortless release back in Liiga, just a really hard slapper!

His shot is really good, some people have compared it to Laines during the WJC even.
Might be quite the stretch in my opinion but his shot will rock the AHL.

Hokinaittii

Aug 15, 2015
His shot is really good, some people have compared it to Laines during the WJC even.
Might be quite the stretch in my opinion but his shot will rock the AHL.
His shot is right there with Matthews as one of the top shots in 2016 draft, in my opinion. The only lacking part in his shot is the accuracy and poise in it.

I mean, there have been times when he gets a real good scoring chance and he either misses it wide or just randomly fans on the puck. Puljujärvi also has a deadly onetimer WHEN he actually hits the puck. :laugh:

But if he finds that poise to his shooting, I have no doubt why he couldn't crack 30-40 goals on McDavid's side.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Laleggia Lw, Currie C, Pulju Rw.

His linemates have 11& 12 points in 30+ games.

Laleggia was a D before this. I wouldnt call him chopped liver. Struggled in the AL last year but in NCAA he was one of highest scoring D in that league. Won almost all the major awards in his conference. As a forward in AL hes put up good numbers in the short time hes been there

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad