RW Jeremy Bracco (2015, 61st, TOR) Part 2

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
I believe his last thread was full so it's time to give some love to Bracco.

He was excellent in the rookie camp exhibitions this year. Check out this tape to tape pass through traffic.

He said that he spent the summer in Toronto so he could work with Leafs staff and I think it shows early on. Last year he didn't have a big role on a stacked Marlies team, but he's poised to have a huge year in the AHL this season. He'll be counted on to be one of the offensive leaders this time around.

Really looking forward to following his progress this year.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There is no doubt that he is skilled. It's just whether or not his skills will translate to the NHL . I don't see him being a 4th line grinder.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017
I believe his last thread was full so it's time to give some love to Bracco.

He was excellent in the rookie camp exhibitions this year. Check out this tape to tape pass through traffic.

He said that he spent the summer in Toronto so he could work with Leafs staff and I think it shows early on. Last year he didn't have a big role on a stacked Marlies team, but he's poised to have a huge year in the AHL this season. He'll be counted on to be one of the offensive leaders this time around.

Really looking forward to following his progress this year.

With picks like these, it's a nice time to be a Leafs fan for sure. I am quite high on Grundstrom, SDA, Bracco, etc.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
There is no doubt that he is skilled. It's just whether or not his skills will translate to the NHL . I don't see him being a 4th line grinder.
it's top 6 or bust for him for sure...or maybe "top 9" now that most teams are rolling 3 scoring lines. He's not going to kill penalties or be on the ice for defensive zone faceoffs when you're protecting a lead in the 3rd, and I would hazard a guess that his offense will need to be distinctly better than the guys he's competing for a roster spot with because he'll give up ground on the size/strength/defensive fronts. But, he's talented, a nice lottery ticket to be holding - Toronto also has 3 centers that will absorb most of the 5v5 icetime that all work well in the home plate area as finishers, Bracco might fit nicely just like Nylander&Marner do as a guy who will gain the zone cleanly and feed the puck into that area for them to do something with

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Big year for him in the AHL. With Johnson/Kapanen moving on, Bracco should take on a bigger role. Hopefully he can put up ~50+ points.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
it's top 6 or bust for him for sure...or maybe "top 9" now that most teams are rolling 3 scoring lines. He's not going to kill penalties or be on the ice for defensive zone faceoffs when you're protecting a lead in the 3rd, and I would hazard a guess that his offense will need to be distinctly better than the guys he's competing for a roster spot with because he'll give up ground on the size/strength/defensive fronts. But, he's talented, a nice lottery ticket to be holding - Toronto also has 3 centers that will absorb most of the 5v5 icetime that all work well in the home plate area as finishers, Bracco might fit nicely just like Nylander&Marner do as a guy who will gain the zone cleanly and feed the puck into that area for them to do something with

I think he has more to offer in the defensive aspect than the consensus. I didn't watch every Marlies game, but in my viewings I was actually impressed with how he used his positioning to force turnovers. His elite edges gives him the ability to stick with opposing players as they change directions. I think he could end up like Nylander in that regard, someone who's defensive game is probably underrated (even by his own team) because of a lack of physicality.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think he has more to offer in the defensive aspect than the consensus. I didn't watch every Marlies game, but in my viewings I was actually impressed with how he used his positioning to force turnovers. His elite edges gives him the ability to stick with opposing players as they change directions. I think he could end up like Nylander in that regard, someone who's defensive game is probably underrated (even by his own team) because of a lack of physicality.
agree that the perception hasn't caught up to the current reality for him defensively but I don't think it will be considered a strength compared to those guys who he'll be competing for roster spots with (Kapanen, Leivo, probably Korshkov in the future etc).

But I think we see that a player like this can succeed in the Leafs system, if he's willing to work to be in position defensively he'll take pucks away with an active stick and cheating to steal passes at the right time, and if he were to play with any Johnsson/Grundstrom/Hyman - Mattthews/Tavares/Kadri combo I think any defensive blemishes would be covered up pretty well. I think we have a good situational fit for him if he turns out

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
up like Nylander in that regard, someone who's defensive game is probably underrated (even by his own team) because of a lack of physicality.

Just my thought on Nylander. I think a lot of people don't think he's "physical' for the wrong reasons. If a player has the puck at the offensive blue line and throws into the corner and then has to physically try to outman a dman for the puck, folks like it and say that is being physical. Nylander has enough skill by stickhandling and try to keep the puck instead of playing the endless dump and chase game. I just think stick handling into the zone is often a better way of maintaining puck possession.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
I've always liked him as a project. Knowing it would take upwards of a handful of years for him to make it. If he ever did.

But, having seen him for a few years now, I think I will say he will play in the NHL. I don't know for how long and for whom.
But I think he will get into a game at some point.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Food for thought:

He had just as productive of AHL rookie season as Ho-Sang, while toiling on the 4thline, focusing on his fitness and play off the puck, and being a consumate professional while doing it.

Look for this season to be the Memorial Cup to last year's Windsor stretch run.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I agree with your general point....

but I can't understand why there are coaches who think the idea of a 1-dimensional F who can play defense (or maybe not even that, just that they are "physical") is ok to play on the 4th line, but a 1-dimensional F who brings offense can't.

It makes no sense to me to ever put anyone on the ice that isn't a threat to provide offense.

Defense can always be schemed up. Offense requires skill and talent. Give me skill guys at every position on every line and pairing.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN

but I can't understand why there are coaches who think the idea of a 1-dimensional F who can play defense (or maybe not even that, just that they are "physical") is ok to play on the 4th line, but a 1-dimensional F who brings offense can't.

It makes no sense to me to ever put anyone on the ice that isn't a threat to provide offense.

Defense can always be schemed up. Offense requires skill and talent. Give me skill guys at every position on every line and pairing.
Playing Defense is hard, takes talent, and the correct tools. Some players simply aren't able to play good defense.
-They don't know how to, or can't, take the body.
- can't win a board battle
- don't understand positioning w/o the puck( which is 95% of the TOI)
- make risky plays when they do have the puck, w/o regard for the consequences.

If the player is a good offensive player, then he won't be on the 4th line. He will be higher up the food chain. So what you are really talking about is a mediocre offensive player with poor defensive skills being on the 4th line.

I don't understand the thinking that defense is easy to play, when in my mind, it's harder than ever. Players are faster than ever, shots are better, and the obstruction/slashing/etc. is now being called.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS

I think the most simple explanation for that is most coaches in the NHL are just risk averse. Right or wrong a lot of them feel like the 4th line all defense guy is "safe".

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Not much chatter on this guy - not even among Leaf fans - but he's one of the best passers in the Leafs org. and is starting to make some noise. He's been on absolute fire for the past few weeks after a rather slow start. Starting to live up to his USNDP hype.

After tonight, he has 23pts in 26 games as a 21 year old in the AHL. He's the Marlies new Johnsson this year.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Not much chatter on this guy - not even among Leaf fans - but he's one of the best passers in the Leafs org. and is starting to make some noise. He's been on absolute fire for the past few weeks after a rather slow start. Starting to live up to his USNDP hype.

After tonight, he has 23pts in 26 games as a 21 year old in the AHL. He's the Marlies new Johnsson this year.

I don't know if he has a good shot to be an NHLer long term, but it's a positive step at least.

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I don't know if he has a good shot to be an NHLer long term, but it's a positive step at least.
His overall game has come a long way and he's become a much harder worker since his time in Kitchener in the OHL. Still a work in progress defensively but the effort is there.

If you ignore his mini-slump, he has 21 points in his last 17 games, and 13 points in his last 8 games.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
His overall game has come a long way and he's become a much harder worker since his time in Kitchener in the OHL. Still a work in progress defensively but the effort is there.

If you ignore his mini-slump, he has 21 points in his last 17 games, and 13 points in his last 8 games.

He has another year of waiver eligibility left, so it's a bonus. Though if he's still in the AHL come the end of next year I think it's time to re-think how good he is.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017

Anyone else reminded of Marner watching those two highlights?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Bracco has a ton of Mitch Marner qualities. I think the thing that separates the two however is that Mitch is a f***ing energizer bunny while Bracco has a motor that runs in spurts. When Bracco is on his game however, he is as fun as Mitch to watch. When he's going good, he'll get very creative with his skating. Similar to Mitch. When they're having an off game/ shift they tend to appear more sluggish and less evasive.

Rich247

Sep 28, 2014
Maybe be if he puts up 70+ points he will start getting some love. Some people are still saying he can't play in the nhl. Everywhere he has played he has proved people wrong. Too small, to slow, can't shoot. Perhaps if he Leads the Ahl in scoring he can get some love. Also the has grown since he was 18 and is not small anymore at over 5'11'.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad