RW JC Lipon - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2013, 91st overall, Winnipeg)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Guys slip through the cracks, don't get picked for various reasons. Kid has a good motor, great speed and dynamite offensive skills.

Was supposed to be going to Avs training camp before the lockout occurred. He'll get a contract this season (unless that window is closed now and if not, he'll get drafted for sure).

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
I've never seen him play... does HC give him any consideration for the U20 team...as it looks as though our lock out team won't be going....

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
He'll fight too. This guy is a great show of what can happen when you put your head down and keep working to be a team guy. Lots of 16 and 17 year olds who aren't highly heralded can get buried in junior lineups and be in and out. I've seen a lot of them lose that passion and fire under their butt once that draft year passes and they didn't get their top-six time or PP time and no scouts came to talk to them. Keep working your ass off and earn your ice-time and good things will happen.

With a good attitude and hard work you can still make a name for yourself in NHL circles. Lipon basically clawed his way up the lineup year-by-year and embraced every opportunity to show what he had and has been very adaptable. Will be nice to see him rewarded with a contract.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I noticed him last night, was my first view of the Blazers this year to see Bozon in action but ended up being impressed with Lipon as well as the team overall. Would like to see the Blazers Memorial Cup bound.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Anyone know if it will be possible for the Avs to offer him a contract still like we would have been able to post-camp before the lockout?

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
Anyone know if it will be possible for the Avs to offer him a contract still like we would have been able to post-camp before the lockout?
Not sure, the usual rule is that they have to be given a try-out and signed prior to the start of the regular season.

I don't think he'll be going to camp though, as the only junior players allowed at camp are those specifically named by a team (list is limited to three players).
I can't seem to find it now but I'd guess the Avs list is Siemens and that's it.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Not sure, the usual rule is that they have to be given a try-out and signed prior to the start of the regular season.

I don't think he'll be going to camp though, as the only junior players allowed at camp are those specifically named by a team (list is limited to three players).
I can't seem to find it now but I'd guess the Avs list is Siemens and that's it.

We didn't include anyone from the CHL, Siemens will remain in the CHL because Saskatoon is hosting the Memorial Cup.

My reasoning behind the question is along the lines of the lockout preventing us from having camp and therefore preventing us from signing him.

If not, guess we have to hope he is willing to give us first crack at signing him if the NHL allows us or we draft him if he is prohibited from signing with us.

YEGJuniorFan

Dec 3, 2009
Edmonton
He only scored 3 goals in his draft year, pretty low numbers. Looks like a player now, if he keeps above 1.5ppg he could get taken in the 4th-7th rounds.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
We didn't include anyone from the CHL, Siemens will remain in the CHL because Saskatoon is hosting the Memorial Cup.

My reasoning behind the question is along the lines of the lockout preventing us from having camp and therefore preventing us from signing him.

If not, guess we have to hope he is willing to give us first crack at signing him if the NHL allows us or we draft him if he is prohibited from signing with us.

I believe he just meant Siemens would head to Colorado's training camp for a few days, not with the intention of sticking there all season.

jfb392

Jul 7, 2010
See below.

I'm not sure if you'll be prevented from signing him or not.
It's not something anyone can be sure about until we see the new CBA.

Perhaps they'll let you since they don't necessarily have to be at camp to sign a deal.
The Sabres, for example, signed Andrey Makarov just before the lockout.
He hadn't been to camp obviously since it had not began, but they did extend a tryout to him, which gave them that ability.
Since you had made the offer prior to the lockout, maybe they'll give you a chance to follow through.
It also comes down to whether you want to sign him or not without evaluating him at your camp though..

I believe he just meant Siemens would head to Colorado's training camp for a few days, not with the intention of sticking there all season.
Precisely.
Some teams put players on the list that are realistically longshots to make their team (like Dallas including Matej Stransky), but it's probably better to be safe and give themselves the option.
Since Siemens is the only CHL prospect that that the Avs have that would have a decent shot at making the team, I just guessed he'd be on the list.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Perhaps Lipon could be this year's Tanner Pearson? Hopefully he will get some consideration for the World Juniors though it would be tough to make the team if the lockout is still going on.

Lundface*

He only scored 3 goals in his draft year, pretty low numbers. Looks like a player now, if he keeps above 1.5ppg he could get taken in the 4th-7th rounds.

Gillis will take him far before that. See his selection of Mallet in the 2nd round last draft as proof. He loves these late bloomers.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I am also curious if there is or (if) a rule about the players who were invited to training camps back in September. Is it frozen until they reach a deal or all the players rights now "open" to any team. Because as an Avs fan I would be kind of mad if this lockout made us have the inability to sign or take a look at Lipon who then would be selected early by another team in the draft.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Dats true. For those who have seen him play, is he as good as a Tanner Pearson was last year?

I don't think so, what Pearson had above Lipon is a nice frame, actually played a hard nose game and was a tough player to bump off the puck. Lipon is probably a faster and more creative player, but he doesn't have any of those strength's that Pearson had to warrant him a low 1st rounder. In any case I think Lipon might be a decent 5th round selection, but I could see a team gamble on him much higher like Avs did in 2012 with Heard in the second round.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
I just wish Lipon had a little more top speed to separate himself from the pack a little better. He disrupts a good amount of plays, but he just doesn't have that next gear that allows him to blow past everyone...he's not a bad skater at all, that next gear would really sell me on him though, personally...

kyle44

Jan 7, 2007
Just to bump.. after tonights win Lipon now has 31 points (13 goals) in 13 games. His line mate, Avs draftee Colin Smith is on a roll as well. 29 points in 13 games

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad