RW Jayce Hawryluk (2014, 32nd, FLA; claimed by OTT)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
This kid is pretty fantastic. Have had the chance to watch Brandon about 5 times this year and he's consistently impressing me. Last night in a 7-5 loss to the Blades, he was the best player on the ice. Works so hard, is all over the puck and has dynamite hands. Had 4 points in the loss and now has 9 goals and 23 points in 29 games on a very underwhelming team.

He's not the biggest guy, but he still plays gritty and physical.

He's a guy to watch for the 2014 NHL Draft as he could climb his way into top 60 discussion very easily, especially if it's not a terribly deep draft.

arsmaster*

This kid is pretty fantastic. Have had the chance to watch Brandon about 5 times this year and he's consistently impressing me. Last night in a 7-5 loss to the Blades, he was the best player on the ice. Works so hard, is all over the puck and has dynamite hands. Had 4 points in the loss and now has 9 goals and 23 points in 29 games on a very underwhelming team.

He's not the biggest guy, but he still plays gritty and physical.

He's a guy to watch for the 2014 NHL Draft as he could climb his way into top 60 discussion very easily, especially if it's not a terribly deep draft.

I've only been able to catch one full Brandon game and part of another on shaw this year, he was extremely noticable the whole game (the game I saw was a 7-0 loss to PA).

I don't know much about the 2014 class at this time, but if he isn't a top 2 rounder at this point, it's gotta be a good class.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've only been able to catch one full Brandon game and part of another on shaw this year, he was extremely noticable the whole game (the game I saw was a 7-0 loss to PA).

I don't know much about the 2014 class at this time, but if he isn't a top 2 rounder at this point, it's gotta be a good class.

From what I've seen out west, the class doesn't look that strong. Lots of undersized, but skilled, forwards. I would say with his compete level and skill combo he'd be a top 60 pick at this point in my books.

SaskaToba

Aug 23, 2010
Canada
Watched him play in Swift Current. Other than Bertaggia, he is the best player on the Wheat Kings. I remember watching him play in bantam, this kid just excels at each tougher level he gets to. He already went from a crappy league in Manitoba to AAA MB hockey. Then from the worst team in MB AAA to one of the worst in the WHL. And he has adjusted so quickly at each level it's amazing. Currently the top scoring 16 year old in the WHL.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I've seen the Wheat Kings only twice so far, how does he compare to Brayden Point?

Similar players, but from what I've seen I would actually say that Hawryluk has a better motor.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
I've seen the Wheat Kings only twice so far, how does he compare to Brayden Point?

Glad to see some guys jumping on the Hawryluk bandwagon, about time!
Compared to Point, Point plays a more cerebal game like Sakic or RNH, he's crafty. Hawryluk utilizes speed and is more physical. Should be a lot of fun watching these 2 go H2H the next few years.
I called Hawryluk as my darkhorse for the 2014 first round on the thread named that, and I stand by my call!

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
At times I think his skating is awful. But he is definitely hard nosed and is currently displaying a score at will ability - an intriguing sniper. His D is underwhelming just because he is slow to get there.

Very confusing prospect to me. Wasn't having the best year until these last few games. Has something clicked or is it circumstantial?

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
At times I think his skating is awful. But he is definitely hard nosed and is currently displaying a score at will ability - an intriguing sniper. His D is underwhelming just because he is slow to get there.

Very confusing prospect to me. Wasn't having the best year until these last few games. Has something clicked or is it circumstantial?

I've never thought of his skating as awful, he's one of the better skaters on the team, so maybe thats not saying much for the rest of the players!! But he can beat most guys in a foot race. He is the hardest hitter for Brandon, once again, Brandon is one of the softest teams in the league so he doesn't have much competition in the hit brigade. His weaknesses in my mind are taking a pass on the fly, and making sure his shot hits the net. As a 16 year old he was the best player on a terrible team. He has the most offensive talent on this team. He is a little undersized. He compares well to Matt Calvert, but bigger than Calvert. Has a motor that won't quit.
He was sat for the last 2 periods against Seattle for some lacksadasial defensive play, then not dressed against Portland, learning a lesson, and has responded with 2 back to back hat tricks.
He should be picked late 1st round through the 2nd round. Incidentally, he's a heck of a ball player as well.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Hawryluks quote from the Brandon Sun
"Hawryluk was named the Western Hockey League’s player of the week, while Pulock was picked to play for Team WHL in this month’s Subway Super Series versus Team Russia.

Hawryluk had quite the eventful week, going from head coach Kelly McCrimmon’s dog house as a healthy scratch to the top performer in the league, all in a span of a few days. Hawryluk, a 17-year-old forward from Roblin, was sat out in Wednesday’s 5-2 loss to the league-leading Portland Winterhawks, but bounced back with back-to-back hat tricks to lead the Wheat Kings to a 6-3 victory over the Everett Silvertips on Friday night and a 6-2 triumph over the Lethbridge Hurricanes on Sunday afternoon to wrap up a tough six-game West Coast road trip with a 2-4 record.

"It was a lot of ups and downs and we weren’t doing so well, we weren’t winning and after being sat for a game for just not doing what I can do out there and not playing the game the right way, I really keyed into the little things and the right things out there," said Hawryluk, who had six goals, eight points and a +4 plus/minus rating in three games. "And I think we really realized we needed to get a couple of wins on the road and we all beared down and we all worked hard and stuck to the systems and got the two wins at the end."

Hawryluk leads the Wheat Kings in scoring with nine goals and 19 points in 17 games, but is quick to credit his new linemates, centre John Quenneville and left-winger Jack Palmer.

"I was really working hard and playing alongside John Quenneville and Jack Palmer. They are great linemates and I couldn’t have done it without them and they were great out there as well," Hawryluk said. "They were working hard and their compete level was high and I think we just worked hard for our opportunities to score and when we had the chances, we put the puck in the net."

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
2014 prospect Jayce Hawryluk collapses following playoff hat trick

http://thehockeyhouse.net/junior/jayce-hawryluk-collapses-following-whl-playoff-game/

Brandon Wheat Kings forward Jayce Hawryluk has collapsed after complaining of chest pains following the third game of Brandon’s playoff series with the Regina Pats.

Hawryluk had scored a hat-trick, including the game winner, in the game, which the Wheat Kings won 5-4. Earlier this month, he was named the CHL Player of the Week for the week after scoring six goals and four assists for 10 points in three games.

Phil Andrews, the Play by Play voice for the Pats, tweeted that there were reports that Hawryluk was alert and talking shortly after the incident took place.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Wheat Kings' Hawryluk Taken to Hospital:
The Wheat Kings haven't released many details, but Brandon GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon did release a statement about 90 minutes after the game.

"Jayce was taken to hospital after tonight's game. While concerned the club believes it is not serious. Until we have more information we can not pinpoint the cause. Jayce is resting comfortably."

There are reports that Hawryluk collapsed in the dressing room after the game, but was alert and talking when taken by ambulance to the Brandon Regional Health Centre.

The club is expected to find out more information on Hawryluk's status and update his condition later today.

Sticks and Pucks

Jan 2, 2008
Ouch I hope he gets better. Though it's probably the last thing on his mind, one has to wonder how this will affect his draft stock.

Woodhouse

Dec 20, 2007
New York, NY
Heard it may have been a case of severe dehydration. Lets hope so!
Yes, hopefully it was something minor and is manageable. The latest update:
"The doctor came and looked at him and they felt that they should take him to the hospital and, basically, rule some things out as much as anything," said Brandon GM/Coach Kelly McCrimmon on Thursday afternoon.

The Roblin, Manitoba product was taken to the Brandon Regional Health Centre via ambulance, but McCrimmon says he's apparently completely normal now and feeling fine.

"We haven't been given any feedback as to how any of that has gone, other than to be told that there's no red flags and nothing alarming at this point," said McCrimmon, "We're optimistic that it's not as serious as these things sometimes can be or what you sometimes left your mind fear."

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I've over heard some people say at the game tonight that it might of had something to do with having 2 red bull before the game?

Just some rumbling, but that could cause something like this to happen couldn't it?

Awesome to see him in the line up, he's one heck of a player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad