RW Jake Virtanen (2014, 6th, VAN) IV

lawrence

May 19, 2012
bust.

he's lazy fat and out of shape.

"you Jake, we like to thank you for being drafted by Vancouver. If we were drafted by Vancouver we be taking the heat instead of you. "

Signed, Michael Dal cole and Haydn Fleury.

Luongos Knob

PDO Kings
Jan 20, 2009
Sure would be nice to have Nylander and Pastrnak vs Virtanen and (Mccann)

Thats 2/3rds of a future 1st line there

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Bust. Trade for scraps and late round picks...

Beninho*

Mar 19, 2016
I honestly don't think he would be a ppg in the ECHL, we may find out soon with his current trajectory

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
bust.

he's lazy fat and out of shape.

"you Jake, we like to thank you for being drafted by Vancouver. If we were drafted by Vancouver we be taking the heat instead of you. "

Signed, Michael Dal cole and Haydn Fleury.
You do realize its a two-way street right? Canucks fans hype their players up more than Isles or Canes fans do, so they get more backlash later on. The same logic applies to Leafs players on this board to an even more extreme degree. Magnify by the fact that these posters argued with Leafs and Jets fans about Virtanen over Ehlers (not all, but some) and this is what it eventually turns into.

It is also that he hasn't been able to stay out of the limelight. He was terrible at a high-profile event and wasn't great with the Canucks. Whereas Fleury was average with Team Canada, but mostly forgotten about and Dal Colle got cut twice, so he didn't hurt how people viewed him.

You also have to acknowledge, Benning and co, do things that are quite comical and make no sense (the "stuff quote"). That is before even getting into his divisive style of play.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario

The funny thing is I kinda agree too. I don't know if he would be a PPG player in the ECHL. He seems to be the kind of guy who can be a complimentary player, opposed to someone who drives the offense himself. If he doesn't have a lead offensive player on this team, I don't think he could generate enough offence.

Roberto Lu bongo

Apr 14, 2016
The funny thing is I kinda agree too. I don't know if he would be a PPG player in the ECHL. He seems to be the kind of guy who can be a complimentary player, opposed to someone who drives the offense himself. If he doesn't have a lead offensive player on this team, I don't think he could generate enough offence.

You have clearly never watched him play, he never uses his teammates, he generates almost all of his chances by using his speed off the rush

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
You do realize its a two-way street right? Canucks fans hype their players up more than Isles or Canes fans do, so they get more backlash later on. The same logic applies to Leafs players on this board to an even more extreme degree. Magnify by the fact that these posters argued with Leafs and Jets fans about Virtanen over Ehlers (not all, but some) and this is what it eventually turns into.

It is also that he hasn't been able to stay out of the limelight. He was terrible at a high-profile event and wasn't great with the Canucks. Whereas Fleury was average with Team Canada, but mostly forgotten about and Dal Colle got cut twice, so he didn't hurt how people viewed him.

You also have to acknowledge, Benning and co, do things that are quite comical and make no sense (the "stuff quote"). That is before even getting into his divisive style of play.

Disagree about Dal Colle. Him not cracking Canada's WJC roster even though he had the reputation of a top5 pick definitely changed peoples views of him to the worse.

I haven't read the thread about Virtanen right after he was drafted so i don't know if there were a lot of Canucks-fans hyping him up at the time. I know there have been a lot of Canucks-fans critizing the pick also though, me included. I also went back to read Virtanen's 1st thread here, and it seems a lot of people were hyping him up back then. Fans of all sorts of teams. Not just Canucks-fans.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Disagree about Dal Colle. Him not cracking Canada's WJC roster even though he had the reputation of a top5 pick definitely changed peoples views of him to the worse.

I haven't read the thread about Virtanen right after he was drafted so i don't know if there were a lot of Canucks-fans hyping him up at the time. I know there have been a lot of Canucks-fans critizing the pick also though, me included. I also went back to read Virtanen's 1st thread here, and it seems a lot of people were hyping him up back then. Fans of all sorts of teams. Not just Canucks-fans.

I do agree with your points, at least initially. Basing strictly off of the WJHC, when Da Colle was cut, I, like many others were very surprised. That was the first red flag for me regarding Da Colle as a prospect.

However, I, like many others are left with a stronger memory of Virtanen being such a negative contributor to the team. Taking those 2 penalties, which many hold firmly to their beliefs, cost us the game again Finland. Being such a negative player for a 19 year old was a bigger overall surprise, even with prior NHL experience, than Da Colle being cut.

In terms of who has the brighter future for these two prospects, it is really a coin toss. It is easier to point out Virtanen's flaws as it is magnified playing in Canadian market in the NHL. However, his body of work definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

Eternalize

Nov 8, 2013
Sweden
I do agree with your points, at least initially. Basing strictly off of the WJHC, when Da Colle was cut, I, like many others were very surprised. That was the first red flag for me regarding Da Colle as a prospect.

However, I, like many others are left with a stronger memory of Virtanen being such a negative contributor to the team. Taking those 2 penalties, which many hold firmly to their beliefs, cost us the game again Finland. Being such a negative player for a 19 year old was a bigger overall surprise, even with prior NHL experience, than Da Colle being cut.

In terms of who has the brighter future for these two prospects, it is really a coin toss. It is easier to point out Virtanen's flaws as it is magnified playing in Canadian market in the NHL. However, his body of work definitely leaves a lot to be desired.

I were also surprised. Still, looking back at Dal Colle's junior career, he had a pretty successful junior career besides not making Team Canada. Problem was probably that he had a great draft year, so people expected him to produce better and better every year even though his offensive numbers were already very good. He won the Memorial Cup in his post draft year, being the leading scorer on the team in the regular season, and tied for leading scorer on the team in the OHL-playoffs. Also tied for most points on the team in the Memorial Cup.

His last year was a little bit of a disappointment, which was probably a big reason why he didn't crack Team Canada once again, even though this time he really had ALL the advantages of making it. Still, he bounced back and finished the season off strong after being traded to Kingston. I still think he's got a reasonable shot of being a 2nd liner.

Yes a lot of people definitely remember Virtanen for his last WJC tournament, which was a big disappointment. Probably the reason why people bother showing up to the thread just to point out what a bust he is whenever they get the chance. I personally don't bother dissing other teams prospects. I know a lot of people were fans of him (even Leafs fans) after his 1st WJC tournament when he wasn't bad at all. He threw big hits left and right and i know a lot of people were actually jealous of the Canucks for having a prospect like him back then. He played really good in a bottom6 role which made him advance to the top6 when Ritchie wasn't really up to the challenge. But yes, people definitely remember him more for his last appearance when he was put in a leader role but couldn't really handle it, which is a shame.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In the end, is the only difference between Virtanen and Tyler Biggs going to be that Virtanen was at least given a chance in the NHL?

Love

Feb 29, 2012
In the end, is the only difference between Virtanen and Tyler Biggs going to be that Virtanen was at least given a chance in the NHL?

No not at all. Virtanen actually has a lot of talent and raw ability but he also has a horrendous attitude problem. Biggs never had NHL talent or ability.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Tyler Biggs and Virtnanen have some comparables but anyone who follows hockey will know that Virtanen is (and at their respective ages was) a better prospect. When drafted Tyler Biggs did have some raw tools and talent, but was seen as project. If he blossomed offensively he could have been a good pick. However, as we all know, his offense never came and his other skills were not enough to propel him to becoming a regular NHL player. Last I heard he is still floating around the East Coast league.

With Virtanen, in principle, they may have similar skillsets - as in, they both are/were raw and have talent, but Virtanen has the upper hand in regards to offense - at least at this point in their careers.

The main question at this point is if his offense can translate to the NHL. At this point it is up for debate, and I won't further give my personal opinion. If it does not translate, then he may follow a similar path as Biggs. The benefit of Virtanen over Biggs is due to his high draft status. If it does not work out in Vancouver, I feel teams will have some interest in him opposed to him being buried in some NHL affiliate's system. Also, as I said all along, it may be wise from both a Virtanen perspective and Vancouver management perspective to split ways, as the current situation looks rather bleak.

Last edited:

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
As often is the case with young prospects, a change of scenery can be the best thing for their development. I am sure there is am enormous amount of pressure on Virtnanen, especially being a high profile draft pick and a local kid playing in a Canadian market. Also, with him being the center of talk due to an abysmal Vancouver team cannot do him any favours. At the time of his draft, he was Vancouver's highest draft pick since 1999 (Daniel/Henriks draft year), and thus the "savior" role could have been placed on him to an extent. That would be such a huge burden to carry, especially when his confidence is already taken a dive. Best of luck kid, I hope you can turn it around.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Sorry, I didn't mean they were particularly similar players or similar level prospects at draft time. But it seems like Virtanen is headed down Bust Blvd, same direction Biggs went, and in the end it will look like he achieved a lot more by getting into some NHL games, but he was given a chance (that he didn't really deserve) and Biggs wasn't.

Like Biggs, he can't seem to score even in the AHL. On the other hand, he found a way last season to score about 13 more points than I think Biggs might have scored in 55 games...

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
http://vancouversun.com/sports/hock...ey-news-comments-i-dont-hold-that-against-him
“I don’t hold that against him,” said Benning. “Jake has a good heart, but he’s a young player and sometimes a little naive.

I told him not to worry about it, but now when guys ask you the plan, here it is: ‘You’re there to practise and play hard a lot in games and keep improving and there’s no timeline as to when you’re going to be up.’

“Every player’s path to the NHL is different. We want to do what’s best for Jake’s development because he’s an important guy for us. He understands that and I think we’re all on the same page. We’re going to be patient with him.”

“Nope — not trading him,” stressed Benning.

From poster "oldnews" on Canucks.com:
A 19 yr old - with the best corsi on the team last year. In addition, his ozone starts are middling (with ozone finishes actually a touch higher than starts) - as well as middling quality of competition.
Add to the context that he was playing on a depleted lineup with a whole bunch of other youth and tweeners stepping up - as a teenaged rookie pwf. That is anything but sheltered minutes for a teenager. Credit where credit is due.

And as I've pointed out before, the young guy has 26 takeaways in 65 games (and a +11 turnover differential) playing 11 minutes a game.
Not sure how many people realize what kind of numbers those actually are - particularly for a teenaged pwf. It's a small sample, but it puts him in a class with some very good veteran two way players / puck hounds.

135 hits aren't inconsequential either - and his ability to separate the puck from the opponent in those situations would be another interesting statistic that don't show up in his takeaways.
He's big, he's fast enough to blow by NHL defensemen on the rush, he hits hard, and he's nowhere near as vacant or lacking hockey intelligence as a lot of prejudgemental would like to sell.

Virtanen stumbled in 10 games early this year - he's having a setback - but if any market can blow something like this way out of proportion, it's Vancouver.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stat...+3+5+4+6+7+8+13+14+29+30+32+33+34+45+46+63+67

I'd encourage you to read the full vancouver sun article, there are some interesting quotes from Sven Baertschi regarding the Virtanen situation as well.

Before the vultures start typing away, regarding Benning questioning if he should pick up the phone or not, he said it while laughing and in a joking manner, wasn't clear in this article but it is in Jason Botchfords article for the province.

No reason to call this kid a bust, absolutely none.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012

Regarding the post that you quoted... Does he really have middling QOC if he plummets to the bottom when you check his Corsi Rel QOC? The only players still playing on the team with a worse Corsi Rel QOC are Granlund and Dorsett. I only have an elementary understanding of advanced stats so maybe someone more knowledgeable can put that more into context.

Secondly is turnover differential really indicative of anything? From what I have seen Virtanen rarely makes any attempt at making a play or generating offense. He will have less turnovers than someone that takes risks and actually tries to do more more with the puck.

Hits are good and it shows that he is a physical player which is valuable but if he cannot get over his other deficiencies and become a more dynamic player then all he ever projects to be is a 4th liner.

He is still young and Vancouver can afford to be patient with him but he has just shown so little in his pro career thus far. I don't think he will ever be the player he was projected to be. The more I watch him the more underwhelmed I am by his play.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Hoping for him to become Torres at this point. Originally was hoping for David Booth(pre-concussions) or Chris Krieder. Still think he could develop into a Kreider, but only if he turns things around in the AHL this year.

BDizzle*

Jul 7, 2010
Ontario
Hoping for him to become Torres at this point. Originally was hoping for David Booth(pre-concussions) or Chris Krieder. Still think he could develop into a Kreider, but only if he turns things around in the AHL this year.

The Torres comparison is quite fair, and I really loved watching him play in the NHL. This year and possibly next will be very instrumental in the direction of Virtanens career. If he shows he not only belongs, but excels in the AHL; and can put up some solid numbers, then I think he will be able to be a respectable player (akin to Torres). That is a big IF though. He has the tools to make it happen, but everytime I watch him I do have some serious doubts.

In some aspects he reminds me of a player like Kerby Rychel. A young player with good size and respectable junior stats, who can play a physical game. May not be the best defensively, but can add a unique element to the game. The issue thus far with Rychel is consistency and offensive abilities at the pro level, which is quite similar to Virtanen. I know Kerby is older, but he did have better junior stats as well as AHL. Not sure where is pro career is headed as of this moment either. I see and value them very similarly as prospects.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
The Torres comparison is quite fair, and I really loved watching him play in the NHL. This year and possibly next will be very instrumental in the direction of Virtanens career. If he shows he not only belongs, but excels in the AHL; and can put up some solid numbers, then I think he will be able to be a respectable player (akin to Torres). That is a big IF though. He has the tools to make it happen, but everytime I watch him I do have some serious doubts.

In some aspects he reminds me of a player like Kerby Rychel. A young player with good size and respectable junior stats, who can play a physical game. May not be the best defensively, but can add a unique element to the game. The issue thus far with Rychel is consistency and offensive abilities at the pro level, which is quite similar to Virtanen. I know Kerby is older, but he did have better junior stats as well as AHL. Not sure where is pro career is headed as of this moment either. I see and value them very similarly as prospects.
I've seen this thrown around a bit, but Virtanen has one major advantage over Rychel which is his skating. There's a reason Virtanen won the on-ice combine at the Top Prospects game, which is he is an explosive skater. The thing Virtanen probably has to accept is that he just doesn't have the skill to be an elite scorer in the NHL and focus on other aspects of his game. He needs to be a tenacious forechecker at all times using his size and speed. Maybe he can have a year or two where he gets hot and pots 25. While he does a bunch of frustrating things, the one thing all people love about Evander Kane (and why he will stick around the league unless he is truly a cancer) is that he is a tenacious forechecker. If you aren't a high-iq guy, you should try to create situations where you can capitalize when teams breakdown under heavy pressure. He's never going to be the guy to make that pin point pass or read to consistently break down a team. The quicker he realizes this the better player he will become.

DeltaSwede

Jun 15, 2011
Gbg
Lot's of definitives and conclusions being thrown around about a 2nd year pro. Never knew projections were this easy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad