RW Jake Virtanen (2014, 6th, VAN) III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Sending him back to the Hitmen will be bad for his development,

The main Reason He struggled Offensively this year was because of the Hitmen. He was Playing on a Team that rolled 4 lines, Most Junior Teams Ride their top lines and the stats lines match that. He wasn't on the Top line for the Majority of the Season and wasn't even on the Top PP unit for most of the Season.

Im not Bashing the Hitmen, as their strategy makes their team more competitive, but it doesn't really enhance the development of Top Offensive Players.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
havnt been watching pre season.. Is he making the team opening roster or 9 game try out?

Yes...it looks that way. He will have to show something (mainly that he understands the defensive side of the game) to stay beyond the 9 games though.

Likely to be spotted on the 4th line.

I don't know where to find the exact pre-season stats, but I think he finished with 4 points in 6 games.

Last edited:

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Can't quote the locked thread but in response to this posters question:

Nobody has suggested WHY he needs to play up here other than to show em all that Jake is a 6th overall pick and just as good as Ehlers and Nylander.

Maybe because he's played well enough to earn the spot? Don't know why it's so challenging for you to understand and have to resort to creating false narratives like the one above. What have Ehlers or Nylander done this preseason that makes them deserving of spots? Scored a few goals? Made some nice plays?

Guess what, that's exactly what Jake has done too.

The Jesus*

Can't quote the locked thread but in response to this posters question:

Maybe because he's played well enough to earn the spot? Don't know why it's so challenging for you to understand and have to resort to creating false narratives like the one above. What have Ehlers or Nylander done this preseason that makes them deserving of spots? Scored a few goals? Made some nice plays?

Guess what, that's exactly what Jake has done too.

Typical homerism. I'd advise ignoring this if you're not a Canucks fan looking to get a sense of how Virtanen is developing.
He had one good game playing with Horvat. Every other game he was completely invisible or just not very good.

If he makes the team, it's not because he earned it. He's being gifted a spot.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
Typical homerism. I'd advise ignoring this if you're not a Canucks fan looking to get a sense of how Virtanen is developing.
He had one good game playing with Horvat. Every other game he was completely invisible or just not very good.

typical nonsense.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC

WTF are you taking about? He's had a great preseason, not just one game. I'd advise ignoring this if you're not a nucks fan.:help:

lawrence

May 19, 2012
typical nonsense.

He's not even a Canuck fan, and I doubt he actually watched any Canucks games. If he did, he would know how Virtannan has been playing, which is pretty good, considering the hate. He was very good for the canucks at the young stars tourny. not sure what the hate is about.

But better make it clear. The Jesus is not a Canuck fan, and the credibility of him even watching Canucks game is totally unbelievable and to some degree, B.S.

But i'm for one who think its best he gets sent down.

I don't give 2 ***** about Nylander, since the Canucks already have a Nylander in Sven Baertchi.

bsjezz

Nov 28, 2011

he hasn't made magic happen with linemates like cracknell and prust, or even the sedins - but what those circumstances have shown is that he can make plays at this level on top of the rest of his skillset (several top notch passes tonight - he can feed the blueline from the boards, which will be massive if he uses his size to get in on the puck a bit more consistently)

i'm not convinced he deserves to be here all year at all. but with higgins injured, there's no reason not to give him at least a few games to start the season, preferably testing further that combo with bo horvat and sven baertschi that worked so well.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
He's not even a Canuck fan, and I doubt he actually watched any Canucks games. If he did, he would know how Virtannan has been playing, which is pretty good, considering the hate. He was very good for the canucks at the young stars tourny. not sure what the hate is about.

But better make it clear. The Jesus is not a Canuck fan, and the credibility of him even watching Canucks game is totally unbelievable and to some degree, B.S.

But i'm for one who think its best he gets sent down.

I don't give 2 ***** about Nylander, since the Canucks already have a Nylander in Sven Baertchi.

Well I could make the argument that you aren't a Canucks fan considering you cannot spell the names of the only two players you mention in your post. But that argument is just as tenuous as yours.

Also Nylander is a far superior prospect compared to Baertschi. Like not even close.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Well I could make the argument that you aren't a Canucks fan considering you cannot spell the names of the only two players you mention in your post. But that argument is just as tenuous as yours.

Also Nylander is a far superior prospect compared to Baertschi. Like not even close.

I think their equal, that's all that matters.

the reason for this is because I think nylander and ehlers are dead equal...... As far as I'm concern they are almost the same, and to me at the same age Sven is better then both of them.

Nylander made an impact right away, in men's league, no way anyone can deny that. Ehlers teared up the Q, and he was unbelievably good.

Sven was in the chl, we couldn't really tell what he would have done in a men's league, that said , what he was able to do, was do something no whl player has done since joe Sakic was in the whl, which was was average 2 points a game over the course of 47 games in the whl. Something far more impressive then ehlers did in his post draft year. In the dub. Not the bloody qmjhl, but the whl.

I've grouped them together, in the same category.

Ehlers Nylander undersized highly skilled offensive players, soft eurpean player.
Sven baertchi, highly skilled offensive player but somewhat undersized also.
Nylander although very skilled, also not very tall, and not very fast, despite listed as 6 feet, looks b.s to me. He's kinda reminding me of none other then Cody Hodgson right now,
Ehlers, also,the same, have more speed, maybe a tad inch taller, but he's not any stronger at all. In fact Sven was not known as a weak player.

So this is why I think we already have a Nylander/ Ehlers in Sven. Highly skilled smallish European player?? let alone we just drafted that type of player In hunter shinkaruk just the year before, an undersized highly skilled offensive winger, not to mention we just drafted boesser, my gawd, the more I think about the more I think Jim bemming knows what he's doing. Let me add also picked up a player , immediately in the same draft in Jared McCann for crying out loud, undersized highly skilled player right ?? Speed but lacks size ? McCann is listed as 6 feet, he generates offence in fact he was the teams best offensive prospect this pre season and at the young stats tournament.

Oh man the more I think about it now,the more i see how useless Nylander or Ehlers would have been to us, with so many already similar players we have on our team. Wow are some of you non Canucks fans clueless.

Also,forgot we have a Brock boesser., highly offensive winger, this one is actually not a weakling. Plays a very similar game to those 2 but, he's actually 6'1, not b.s stats and over 190 lbs. Not sure if the ncaa will b.s their stats.

Virtannen is he right player for Vancouver in so many ways. We have enough undersized offensive players. We have l.a , Anaheim, San Jose, Calgary in our division for crying out loud, all physical team. Jake is perfect for us.

Btw, not sure if your just trying to be difficult, or not, if you a post track for me all my posts are for Canucks players related. Feel free to believe I'm not a Canucks fan.

Dec 3, 2012
I think they're rushing the young kids a bit. Particularly McCann. It will be interesting to watch the Nuck this season though.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
I think they're rushing the young kids a bit. Particularly McCann. It will be interesting to watch the Nuck this season though.

Their going to be sent back. There is no question about it. Gaunce and shinkaruk 2 players also had excellent pre seasons, are sent down to Utica, the team just wanted to try them out as long as possible, cause when they are sent back down to juniors, they have no control over them after that.

polarbearcub

May 7, 2011
Vancouver
Their going to be sent back. There is no question about it. Gaunce and shinkaruk 2 players also had excellent pre seasons, are sent down to Utica, the team just wanted to try them out as long as possible, cause when they are sent back down to juniors, they have no control over them after that.

I would put money on McCann being sent down and virtanen staying

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC

Typical Jesus post. You hate the pick. We get it. Seems to limit your objectivity on this player.

Leafidelity

Best Sport/Worst League
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Nylander although very skilled, also not very tall, and not very fast, despite listed as 6 feet, looks b.s to me. He's kinda reminding me of none other then Cody Hodgson right now,

I won't get into specifics since this is a Virtanen thread, but your assessment is well off the mark here.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA

I don't agree with that at all.

In Jake's case, perhaps a little bit...I think the brass wants him to stay up, but only because they don't think Calgary is the best place for him to develop (and he is physically mature enough to play in the NHL).

In McCann's case, I think the opposite is true. I think the Canucks want to send him back down to junior, but his play is making it really difficult. He's probably been our best forward after Bo in the pre-season...but, I still think the brass wants to send him back.

I'd say the same is true of Hutton on defense. He's had a great pre-season, and is forcing their hand to stay up.

You can say a lot of bad things about the Canucks management that is well earned...but rushing the kids is not one of them. As a matter of fact you'll see a lot more people complaining that we don't give the kids a fair shot.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
I won't get into specifics since this is a Virtanen thread, but your assessment is well off the mark here.

Agree. This isn't the place to discuss (bash) prospects other than Virtanen and even if it was that description sounds nothing like Nylander. Would be nice if we could discuss (defend/criticize) Virtanen without having to bring Nylander, Ehlers in every time. The draft is over and there are no re-does. It doesn't add anything at this point.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
I think his been fine/good. Not great, nor bad in camp. McCann and Hutton have been great though.

I think part of him not being sent down so far are 2 reasons personally speaking. Canucks vets haven't been good at all, it's been the kids show from the pre-season games I've watched except for 3rd period of last game.

So It's not like you have bunch of people outplaying him and Canucks refusing to send him back.

The other part which I can maybe see is politics of McCann making the team, while Virtanen doesn't. I don't think their fans would care overall but I can MAYBE see Benning not liking his 6th overall being out-shined by McCann (even though that's his pick as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad