RW Hudson Fasching (2013, 118th, LAK; traded to BUF)

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
now I am a little confused over the WHL territories and the OHl. I know Mike Modano went the WHL route back in his day, but was technically in an OHL territory????

now it seems that super stud Hudsen Fasching might be going the same route? The Kelowna Rockets drafted Hudsen in the 8th round of the 2010 Bantam draft. Now eighth round may sound like a flier pick, but I have to imagine they have thoughts of getting this kid to come over next year.

From all the hype that we are starting to hear about Fasching, maybe someone can comment on the possibility of him heading to the WHL, staying in Minnesota highscool, or even joining up with the USNDP?

I guess I was shocked to see him drafted period, especially being an Apple Valley boy, but maybe he will report to Kelowna at some point...

Surprised Brian Williams (from California) went a few picks later in the 8th round as well. Brian was a kid that many of us felt would be a top 5 WHL pick, but I guess concerns over him going to the NCAA really dropped him a lot. Williams is an electric player, that hopefully can grow some over the next few years as well. As an fyi, Adam Erne (the other super stud from California) didnot get drafted as he lives on the East Coast I believe, so his draft rights would go to the Quebec Major Junior League...so he was ineligible for the WHL draft...

G-Double

Aug 5, 2002
left coast
Visit site
I think you may be slightly confused, Modano was from Livonia, Michigan, which would traditionally be an OHL territory. This kid is from Minnesota, same with Mueller, Byuflien (sp) and other MN kids that have gone to the dub. MN is in the WHL territory, that's essentially my only point.

Hope this helped,

G

Last edited:

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
my bad guys....got confused by the whole Modano thing (being a Michigan native, then going the WHL route), wasnt sure if parts of Minnesota were in the OHL territory as well....

...still weird that very few kids get drafted from Minny into the WHL...I guess most stay local to finish highschool, then continue on to college, so I guess it kind of shocked me to see Hudsen getting drafted in the WHL...

arsmaster*

my bad guys....got confused by the whole Modano thing (being a Michigan native, then going the WHL route), wasnt sure if parts of Minnesota were in the OHL territory as well....

...still weird that very few kids get drafted from Minny into the WHL...I guess most stay local to finish highschool, then continue on to college, so I guess it kind of shocked me to see Hudsen getting drafted in the WHL...

I think its going to start to change. With the state of the University of Minnesota's hockey program, I can see a lot of kids either choosing to go to other schools, or get persuaded by the NHL teams that draft them to go to the WHL. The reason I mention University of Minnesota is because a lot of Minnesotan kids grow up wanting to play for the Gophers (sort of like a tradition), but since they seem to be stunting as much talent as they are developing, I can see kids wanting to go to the WHL to pursue their dreams.

PuckFan01

Apr 14, 2002
Visit site
I think its going to start to change. With the state of the University of Minnesota's hockey program, I can see a lot of kids either choosing to go to other schools, or get persuaded by the NHL teams that draft them to go to the WHL. The reason I mention University of Minnesota is because a lot of Minnesotan kids grow up wanting to play for the Gophers (sort of like a tradition), but since they seem to be stunting as much talent as they are developing, I can see kids wanting to go to the WHL to pursue their dreams.

It's not like this is the first time the University of Minnesota has had a few below average seasons. It won't stay that way. If they have one more, they will get a new coach and it will be a well known head coaching name.

Not to mention, there are four other college teams in MN and a couple good programs (North Dakota and Wisconsin) close by. MN is a college hockey state. Kids grow up watching it on TV and going to games. They see kids that come from their local schools going this route and see them as role models. It is a part of the fabric of the state to take the progression toward college hockey. Your theory is spoken by somebody who clearly must not be from the state. It will never send more than the odd player here or there to the WHL and that is usually because of poor academics as much as anything. The WHL has very little pull in this neck of the woods.

As for Hudson Fasching, he'll go to college hockey.

Sore Loser

Sorest of them all
Dec 9, 2006
Spokane, WA.
IIRC, any state west of the Mississippi is WHL territory.

1. Where do the players come from?
The Western Hockey League has teams in four Provinces (Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia) and two States (Washington and Oregon). Players who reside in Alberta, B.C., Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Northwest Territories, Yukon, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Kansas, Minnesota, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Dakota, Texas, Utah, Washington and Wyoming are protected for the WHL and are eligible to be listed by WHL clubs through regular WHL listing procedures. Top level players will develop through the various age groups of hockey and in the year of their 16th birthday, become eligible to play in the Western Hockey League. Players can begin playing, and continue to play in the WHL until the year of their 20th birthday, after which they graduate from the Major Junior ranks.

Courtesy of WHL.ca

http://www.whl.ca/FAQ-p121244

Small Brain Presence

It's not like this is the first time the University of Minnesota has had a few below average seasons. It won't stay that way. If they have one more, they will get a new coach and it will be a well known head coaching name.

Not to mention, there are four other college teams in MN and a couple good programs (North Dakota and Wisconsin) close by. MN is a college hockey state. Kids grow up watching it on TV and going to games. They see kids that come from their local schools going this route and see them as role models. It is a part of the fabric of the state to take the progression toward college hockey. Your theory is spoken by somebody who clearly must not be from the state. It will never send more than the odd player here or there to the WHL and that is usually because of poor academics as much as anything. The WHL has very little pull in this neck of the woods.

As for Hudson Fasching, he'll go to college hockey.

And our next contestant on Mastermind is Sybil Fawlty of Torquay... Category: the bleeding obvious.

Colin Black

Cut back, Smokey!
Jun 24, 2009
Washington State
It really wouldn't surprise me at all if he decided to play for the Rockets. They've outdrafted and outscouted every team in the WHL and have had some amazing players over the last decade.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is the first i have ever heard about this kid. How good is he?

talk to the exiled one among other Minny natives on here, and from what is being said is this kid is a legit top 5 pick for his draft right now....only a freshman in highschool, but the kid is 6'2 190 or something like that, and apparently outplayed Bjugstad in the playoffs.....so as it stands currently, this kid could be something special.

The Exiled One

Sep 1, 2006
State of Hockey
www.dahuskies.com
Now eighth round may sound like a flier pick, but I have to imagine they have thoughts of getting this kid to come over next year.
Definately a flyer pick. There's usually one or two each year. Michaelson was a flyer pick. Budish was a flyer pick.

Minnesota's community based youth hockey system is an aberation, always has been. As long as the State HS Tournament is as popular as it is, the status quo remains.

Last edited:

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Bumping. Any info on this kid, guys?

Had faded a bit on a few scouts radars since the start of the season. The above sounds about right. He's a big kid with average skill level (relative to a first round prospect). The few times I've seen him this year he doesn't seem to be an engaged as you'd want him to be, which is probably the same reason some scouts are dropping him on their lists.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
Big kid, great character. Is just kind of solid- doesn't have a standout trait, nor a true identity as a player.

Got blasted with a check in last night's game against Minnesota and didn't return after the 2nd intermission.

....and it appears he is at least somewhat seriously injured as he didn't play tonight.

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I'm definitely rooting for this kid now. As a father how twins with cerebral palsy, I can undestand a little bit of what he's been through. I've just read the article about him in the hockey news and I cried. I wish him all the best. There's more in life than hockey and this kid has been able to perform in hockey despite everything. I'm totally amazed. The next years will be hard for him. If you've read the draft preview of the hockey news, you know why. I really wish him all the best.

Billy6

Dec 23, 2012
Great story about him in THN draft preview even if his stock has fallen. Best of luck!

WreckItRask

Mar 5, 2007
Minnesota
After reading the Connor Hurley thread, Fasching is essentially the exact opposite of a prospect imo. Hurley is a risk/reward type guy because he's top 6 or bust most likely, but his ceiling is as high as just about anyone not named McKinnon, Drouin, etc. Fasching, on the other hand, doesn't have the same ceiling as Hurley, but he's almost assured of an NHL career in some form or fashion. It might be unspectacular, and it might be nothing more than bottom 6, but he's a super high character guy with size and skill...tough to imagine that combination not getting a shot in the NHL at some point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad