RW Filip Forsberg (2012, 11th overall, Washington; traded to Nashville)

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
I used to have my ear to the ground regarding Swedish hockey, but other things in life grew more important, so nowadays I know next to nothing. As such, I understand that Filip Forsberg has seen some action on Leksand's first team and done it well (?)... or is it just media hype?

I know he is draft material for 2012, but can anyone fill me in on this guy?

Mods: I don't know much about this kid except for the U-17 NT and recent Leksand success, so maybe it's not worthy its own thread. Feel free to merge if that is the case.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
He has played pretty good in the two Allsvenskan games I watch with him, looked like one of Leksands best forwards. In the superelit-games I watch with him he has been very noticable and even dominant. Forsberg seems much more comfortable than Victor Rask ever did when he was first called up. Hes been pushed around a bit in the allsvenskan-games, but thats not so surprising. He doesn´t shy away from the dirty areas though. In todays game against Västerås, he was the guy that managed to dig the puck underneath the goalie on the 2-2 goal, that Bibic later put in the net. (should have had an assist for that) Also scored a nice penalty shot in the shootout.

What is really striking about this kid is that he is a true sniper. His shot is excellent and he is a great finisher overall. Further more he is good at creating chances, often by stealing the puck in the offensive zone near the goal. He creates his own offense.

You never know with kids that age, and I am by no means an expert on judging talent, but from where im sitting he looks like a real supertalent.

Ribban

May 16, 2005
USA
He has played pretty good in the two Allsvenskan games I watch with him, looked like one of Leksands best forwards. In the superelit-games I watch with him he has been very noticable and even dominant. Forsberg seems much more comfortable than Victor Rask ever did when he was first called up. Hes been pushed around a bit in the allsvenskan-games, but thats not so surprising. He doesn´t shy away from the dirty areas though. In todays game against Västerås, he was the guy that managed to dig the puck underneath the goalie on the 2-2 goal, that Bibic later put in the net. (should have had an assist for that) Also scored a nice penalty shot in the shootout.

What is really striking about this kid is that he is a true sniper. His shot is excellent and he is a great finisher overall. Further more he is good at creating chances, often by stealing the puck in the offensive zone near the goal. He creates his own offense.

You never know with kids that age, and I am by no means an expert on judging talent, but from where im sitting he looks like a real supertalent.

Another "Foppa" rising?!

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Makes me raise the question is he a first round talent? On the top 15 lists people make for 2012 draft I do not see any Swedes in the top 15 so maybe they are unheralded and largely unknown but much can change in the next year. Is it a weaker draft year for Sweden? Collberg was the other talent I'm hearing about.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Makes me raise the question is he a first round talent? On the top 15 lists people make for 2012 draft I do not see any Swedes in the top 15 so maybe they are unheralded and largely unknown but much can change in the next year. Is it a weaker draft year for Sweden? Collberg was the other talent I'm hearing about.

Both Forsberg and Collberg could be top-15 picks next draft, they got that kind of talent. Sebastian Collberg have produced better numbers than any other u-17 player have ever had in Superelit, Filip Forsberg is second on that alltime-list which should be a good sign. They obviously got to progress well to be firstround picks, but that goes without saying.

It's a bit hard to tell if next year is going to be a great year or a offyear. The 1994's are rumoured to be a excellent age group, but the u-17 team haven't had much succes this season. Theres a significant number of u-17 players that have made an impact in Superelit this year though compared to last year, which should be a good sign I think.

Besides Collberg and Forsberg theres for example:
Pontus Ã…berg (lateborn 1993 that got some serious talent, could be a firstrounder next year, speed, hands and a great shot.)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16835
Erik Karlsson (Yes theres another one, this one is a very skilled forward, also might have firstround potential)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=33395
Oscar Dansk (looks like a fantastic goalie talent)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=42373

Theres no clear number one swedish d-men for next years draft. Considering sweden has produced quite a few good d-men lately maybe some guy will pop up next season, or maybe it´s a offyear for d-men?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Both Forsberg and Collberg could be top-15 picks next draft, they got that kind of talent. Sebastian Collberg have produced better numbers than any other u-17 player have ever had in Superelit, Filip Forsberg is second on that alltime-list which should be a good sign. They obviously got to progress well to be firstround picks, but that goes without saying.

It's a bit hard to tell if next year is going to be a great year or a offyear. The 1994's are rumoured to be a excellent age group, but the u-17 team haven't had much succes this season. Theres a significant number of u-17 players that have made an impact in Superelit this year though compared to last year, which should be a good sign I think.

Besides Collberg and Forsberg theres for example:
Pontus Ã…berg (lateborn 1993 that got some serious talent, could be a firstrounder next year, speed, hands and a great shot.)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=16835
Erik Karlsson (Yes theres another one, this one is a very skilled forward, also might have firstround potential)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=33395
Oscar Dansk (looks like a fantastic goalie talent)
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=42373

Theres no clear number one swedish d-men for next years draft. Considering sweden has produced quite a few good d-men lately maybe some guy will pop up next season, or maybe it´s a offyear for d-men?

Thanks, I'm coming to expect 5-10 Swedes drafted in the first round which is far more than could have been expected just a few years ago. For some unknown reason many of these prospects go under the rader despite Swedes usually delivering on theior promiose to cross the pond they drop, and this results in talented players like Jarnkrok and Rodin for example great talents getting picked way later than their talent suggests. Too bad with Kim Lilja'a situation, he was being hyped for a while as the next up and comer now he'll have to work hard to get picked.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
The Official Filip Forsberg Thread

Does this kid have what it takes to crack the top 10 in 2012? The top 5? The top 3? Number 1?

Craig Button said just now that he feels he's in the top 2 right now with Yakupov.

This kid sounds like the real deal. Will be fun to follow him.

SChan*

yeah if Jonas Brodin can crack a top10 draft, I think FF will too.

thomast

Oct 23, 2009
Yeah i think he'll crack 10 maybe even top 5. Skilled swedes are wanted in the NHL.

Bure

Jan 3, 2011
Ottawa, Ontario
I find when Button likes something a lot, i.e Forsbergs tournament so far, he gets extremely excited, and exagerates a little bit.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
I find when Button likes something a lot, i.e Forsbergs tournament so far, he gets extremely excited, and exagerates a little bit.

With that being said this kid has still been a potential top 15-20 prospect for the last 6 months or more....

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Looks like he's going to be 1-2 among the Swedes at least. Dunno how what means in terms of overall pick, but top 15 should be almost lock?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Is he really ahead of Sebastian Collberg? Could Collberg outrace him when it's all said and done?

With my limited watch of the two I've always been more impressed with Collberg. Then again i've only been able to see a few games with each so I mightve watched good games for Collberg :laugh:

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
Is he really ahead of Sebastian Collberg? Could Collberg outrace him when it's all said and done?

They are very close IMO, both great scorers, but with quite different style of play.

Forsberg has great vision and hands, his offensive game is superb and he can deke opponent defenceman to an extent that they don't know what just happen. Good size and very good skater. On a PP you want Forsberg to have the puck as much as possible, because good things will happen.

Collberg is more straight forward, he relies heavily on his skating and excellent shot. Can blow by defenders and simply snipe it. He is smaller and plays more feisty, doesn't shy away from contact. On a PP you want Collberg to be open for a one timer, will often be positioned down low to the side of the net.

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
I remember this kid from TV-Pucken two years ago, he was way ahead of most players but I got really annoyed that he never wanted to pass the puck. Sometimes he had the option to give his teammates an open net or a breakaway but would instead turn away to try to make some fancy move or to deke an opponent. He just didn't look like a teamplayer to me, at all.

Hope it has gotten better with age, his numbers in J20 are very impressive for his age.

sg58

Jul 15, 2008
Both him and Collberg are two prospects that very well could play their way into the top-10, perhaps the top-5, even, with great seasons. If I had too choose one, it would be Forsberg. Not necessarily because he's gonna become the better hockey player, but he's gonna get better exposure, and you shouldn't under-value that.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Button isn't the only one impressed. EJ Hradek was tweeting about the Ivan Hlinka and I aksed him Nail or Mikhail and he said Nail but was most impressed by Forsberg at the tourney. Kids gettin some love.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad