RW Eetu Tuulola - HPK, Liiga (2016, 156th, CGY)

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
RW Eetu Tuulola - Everett Silvertips, WHL (2016, 156th, CGY)

Height 6'3 (190cm)
Weight 225 lbs (102kg)
Shoots Right

1297854717857_ORIGINAL.jpg

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=123542

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Strong showing for him in the first game at Hlinka. Scored a nice goal and had an assist too. Seemed perhaps a tad slow.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Two goals against men today. Too bad I didn't see the game. Intriguing prospect. If he can - and I don't see why he couldn't - add more speed, he will rise in the draft. Especially if he plays with men and produces.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
How much of his weight is muscle?

Who knows? Though I must say I have heard only good things about his physique and conditioning. There's no harm in having some excess weight as long it doesn't slow you down too much. As I said above, if he can add a little speed, he will be a force to be reckoned with. At the moment he could very well project as a middle six power forward in the NHL if all goes well.

Can anyone tell me, does Tuulola compare in any way to Jesse Joensuu? Both big bodies with some skill to score goals but perhaps lacking in some other departments?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I've heard somewhere he has been hitting the gym with his dad (hard hitting d-man Marko Tuulola) ever since he was a minor so I could see him having more muscle than an avarage kid of his age.

You be the judge:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSLOTWb400k

He's a big kid forsure but doesn't seem out of the ordinary muscle wise for an athlete his age. But that women in the pink jacket towards the end wow. :naughty:

Jack DiBiase

Team Iceland Coach
Nov 15, 2008
Can anyone tell me, does Tuulola compare in any way to Jesse Joensuu? Both big bodies with some skill to score goals but perhaps lacking in some other departments?
From what I have seen, at this age Tuulola seems to be using his body as an advantage better than Joensuu. Tuulola likes to play physically and play the traditional North American powerforward game. Never really saw that from Joensuu.

Very hard to say at this point how much offensive upside Tuulola would have, but 21 goals as a 16-year-old in junior A is definitely is a nice number. He obviously needs to improve footspeed, but that's normal given he is a 220 pound teenager who just turned 17 (Not everyone is Puljujärvi). He got strong genes from his father, but we'll see if he got any fast genes also. His dad wasn't very fast, but was rock solid. Looking forward to seeing his progress next year as he is a pretty unique prospect for Finnish hockey. We don't have many players who like to initiate contact, but also have the abilities to score goals. Tuomo Ruutu may have been the latest of this kind.

Last edited:

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
From what I have seen, at this age Tuulola seems to be using his body as an advantage better than Joensuu. Tuulola likes to play physically and play the traditional North American powerforward game. Never really saw that from Joensuu.

Very hard to say at this point how much offensive upside Tuulola would have, but 21 goals as a 16-year-old in junior A is definitely is a nice number. He obviously needs to improve footspeed, but that's normal given he is a 220 pound teenager who just turned 17 (Not everyone is Puljujärvi). He got strong genes from his father, but we'll see if he got any fast genes also. His dad wasn't very fast, but was rock solid. Looking forward to seeing his progress next year as he is a pretty unique prospect for Finnish hockey. We don't have many players who like to initiate contact, but also have the abilities to score goals. Tuomo Ruutu may have been the latest of this kind.

Thank you for the answer. Looking at their stats at the same age Tuulola seems to have an edge. Got to think that if Joensuu was picked at #60, Tuulola should also be gone after the first two rounds. I think a good, solid season in the U20 league would have him around late second round, but if he plays, say, half of his games in Liiga and manages to produce some offense, I could see him sneaking towards the late first round. We shall see what the season will bring.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Eetu Tuulola is a favorite of mine. Hard nosed, shot heavy, puts in the work, and is relied upon by Team Finland. Surprised he's listed at 227lbs. He has improved his skating since the U17.

Currently have him NHL valued in between Julius Nattinen and Aleksi Saarela for reference.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
Eetu Tuulola is a favorite of mine. Hard nosed, shot heavy, puts in the work, and is relied upon by Team Finland. Surprised he's listed at 227lbs. He has improved his skating since the U17.

Currently have him NHL valued in between Julius Nattinen and Aleksi Saarela for reference.

How likely do you think it is that he'll become a solid 3rd liner or even a top 6 forward in the NHL?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008

His dad also wasn't from the strength and conditioning generation we have today. Tuulola if he remains a good prospect, will likely work with elite level skating coaches as well in North America.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Eetu will play his first Liiga game tomorrow along with his brother Joni, as HPK retires their father's number. Must be a nice day in the Tuulola household :)

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Updates on this kid? I watched some footage of him in the U18's and he impressed me. Looks like a potential power forward who can play up and down the lineup and just be a nuisance to the other team. Looking at the numbers though it doesn't look like he had a very good year in Finland with his production dropping significantly. Any idea why? Where would you guys rank him right now and where does he slot in among the finnish prospects in this draft?

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
I didn't watch him in the U20 league, but looking at the stats of other HPK players as well, it appears that they just didn't score much as a team this year. In my opinion he has the potential to become an NHL player, but at the moment he seems slow and especially his first steps need improvement. It's understandable though, he has such a heavy frame for a young player. He has a great shot and good instincts around the net and isn't shy about using his big body to his advantage. In my opinion he is very much like a prototypical North American power forward. If he manages to get significantly faster, he could be a nice option from second line to fourth. I think he'll get drafted in mid-late rounds.

JJTT

Jan 18, 2013
Oulu
Updates on this kid? I watched some footage of him in the U18's and he impressed me. Looks like a potential power forward who can play up and down the lineup and just be a nuisance to the other team. Looking at the numbers though it doesn't look like he had a very good year in Finland with his production dropping significantly. Any idea why? Where would you guys rank him right now and where does he slot in among the finnish prospects in this draft?

Had couple of bad injuries this year and didn't really get into good scoring form all year. Bounced back between the senior and junior team when he healthy too.

He has some really good potential in him. Hard working guy, has a good wrist shot, decent skating and build like a tank(6'3 230lbs) 3rd or 4th round pick.

Quethas

Jan 19, 2010
Tampere
Mostly because his skating hasn't improved as much as hoped and because outside the national team, his season was actually a lot worse than the previous season. The lack of progress this season is a bit worrying even though Tuulola has some qualities that could make him NHL player.

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I see him on the 5th or 6th round. He had a good tourny but that's all he had. There are a lot of players had a good tourny at the under 18. He hasn't improved and there's nothing he does that's extraordinary

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
After watching him at the u18s I saw how good he was Posted before the draft on the Flames board that I wanted this guy in the 2nd round. Was so happy when we picked him in the 6th.

Just scored 3/7 total goals at the Flames annual prospect scrimmage. Big, strong and can he ever shoot. My lawd.

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
After watching him at the u18s I saw how good he was Posted before the draft on the Flames board that I wanted this guy in the 2nd round. Was so happy when we picked him in the 6th.

Just scored 3/7 total goals at the Flames annual prospect scrimmage. Big, strong and can he ever shoot. My lawd.

link to video???

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad