RW Eeli Tolvanen Milwaukee Admirals, AHL (2017, 30th, NSH) Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It's not a big deal on Russian press, but as far as I understand, most Russian fans agree, that the award had to go to Tolvanen. But it's the KHL (Kolkhoz Hockey League), you can expect all the weird things from the league...

teravaineSAROS

Jul 29, 2015
I'd love to hear an interview from them about Kravtsov's amazing 4 goal season and why he deserved it over Tolvanen

Reactions: Ares

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
How has he looked in pre-season so far?
Laviolette said that he looked good on the powerplay and did good things, but that there are still some things that they need to talk about. He also said that Eeli's the kind of player they've been looking for.

I'm guessing he'll get a few games at the beginning and then it's KHL or AHL if he doesn't show anything. Eeli is in a weird spot right now. He's not a bottom 6 kinda guy, and there's no room in the Nashville top 6.

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
Laviolette said that he looked good on the powerplay and did good things, but that there are still some things that they need to talk about. He also said that Eeli's the kind of player they've been looking for.

I'm guessing he'll get a few games at the beginning and then it's KHL or AHL if he doesn't show anything. Eeli is in a weird spot right now. He's not a bottom 6 kinda guy, and there's no room in the Nashville top 6.

Kyle Connor was in a similar position a year ago. Tolvanen might have to wait for an injury to get the chance, just like Connor did

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula
Wow, I fully expected him to make it and start on the 3rd line. Well, I guess he's got things to learn still before playing with the big boys.

Last edited:
Reactions: LAINEC

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
It's not surprising to me that Eeli got sent down. He's still weak physically at the NHL level and while his skating is fine he's not a guy with blazing speed.

I watched a ton of KHL games last year and big part of why he was able to do well was the time and space. There was so many moments where i thought "that won't work" in the NHL.

And well, he's really all offense type of guy. I don't know if the bottom 6 of the Preds is the right fit for him anyway.

The way i see it he'll probably end up replacing Craig Smith in the end, and Craig still got 2 years left in his deal. Preds have no rush whatsoever with Eeli.

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Tolvanen has a clause in his ELC contract which allows him return back to Europe if he won't make NHL team.
Is that clause terminated or why Preds didn't send him back to Jokerit instead of AHL.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Tolvanen had a clause in his ELC contract which allows him return back to Europe if he won't make NHL team.
Is that clause terminated or why Preds didn't send him back to Jokerit instead of AHL.

I heard there's a 10-game AHL clause before he can go to Europe in his contract. So first AHL then weigh options.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Shame. Hopefully he'll be able to secure a role over the course of this season.

I do feel like he's always performed much better on large ice.

Mass

Feb 18, 2013
Baltimore, MD
19 year old doesn't make Presidents trophy winning team. Wild. Would rather him not play in the bottom six and at best have Nick Bonino and Calle Jarnkrok as his linemates.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Some guys thrive on the small sheet, others paint with a big brush on large canvases, even take trials with frescos on massive walls and ceilings. Tolva Eelinen might belong to the latter dirty dozen of artists making their magic happen in practically unrestricted spatial configurations giving only loose limits for the imagination and creativity to manifest themselves aka chapels, palaces and town squares, let alone air fields.

He is also a surgeon though. And that will be his ticket to the show and limelight. To operate with speed and precision and cut the fancy crap out.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Shame. Hopefully he'll be able to secure a role over the course of this season.

I do feel like he's always performed much better on large ice.

I feel as if he's cut out from the same mold as Pulkkinen and Granlund. Thrive on big ice, have trouble with physicality on small ice. Granlund adapted to it in AHL, Pulkkinen not quite as well. Tolvanen has more or less disappeared or taken out with physicality against the big teams at KHL playoffs and World Championships, so I think he should use his AHL time carefully and patiently. Learn and adapt. When it comes to his NHL future, the attributes he needs to work on, are learned better in North America than KHL. How to do things in tight/small space, how to do things more quickly. Granlund is a prime example of what can result in that.

TitansVolsPreds615

Feb 19, 2015
He had some nice looks in the preseason. The game is just moving too fast for him at the moment. He looked better in each game he played with the big club but with a team that's pretty much intact from last year there is no room for him. Really hope he stays in the AHL and learns to play a complete game, I don't know that returning to the KHL helps his development much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad