RW Deven Sideroff - Kamloops Blazers, WHL (2015, 84th, ANA)

R S

Sep 18, 2006
As a likely mid-round pick, he's probably deserving of his own thread.

He comes in at #24 on my final WHL player rankings for 2015 with that full piece here: http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2015/05/final-whl-rankings-2015-nhl-draft.html

#24 Deven Sideroff

Team: Kamloops Blazers
Position: RW
Shoots: R
Height: 5’11
Weight: 171
GP: 64
Goals: 17
Assists: 25
Pts/Gm: 0.65
PIM: 25

Player Analysis: Deven Sideroff is a smart offensive forward for the Kamloops Blazers…is a very strong skater with quick feet in tight spaces…has a bit of a straight-legged look to his stride at times but has well above average top speed…has an extra gear once he really stretches out his stride, allowing him to get a step and attack the net from the wing…with that being said, he could stand to be a tad more aggressive in the way he patrols the offensive zone…is creative and smart in the way he makes plays with the puck…has a definite playmaking lean to his game and can help burn a defence with short and quick passes around the offensive zone…his shot is good but not among the top of this class…has definite 30 or 35 goal potential at the WHL level when looking a couple years into the future…uses his body well when it comes to puck protection both in traffic and along the walls and in the corners…is really solid positionally both offensively and defensively…away from the puck I really appreciate his motor and work ethic…despite mentioning his motor I think he does a fairly good job picking his spots of when to really compete hardest in all zones…an efficient player both with and without the puck…his smarts translate well on the defensive side of the puck and he should have fairly decent defensive value going forward…isn’t an overly physical player…will definitely need to get stronger to be an impactful player at the next level…could stand to be far stronger on his stick on both sides of the puck…was on a line with Cole Ully and Matt Needham for 60 of the Blazers 72 games this season based on my line tracking project…while the line had fantastic chemistry it was pretty clear to me that those two veterans were the driving forces in all zones…while I see Sideroff as a player with few weaknesses overall, I will be curious to see if he can adjust to being more of a focal point for the Blazers going forward as Ully likely graduates to pro for next season…his offensive production took a 20% dip when comparing pre-December 31st totals to his numbers after that point…had 16 primary assists this season, tied for 9th best among all first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…scored 9.39% of all Blazers goals during the year, the 8th best mark of all first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…15 of his 17 goals came at even-strength, which was T-9th among all first-year draft-eligible WHL forwards…was recognized as the Blazers co-Rookie Of The Year, sharing the award with goalie Connor Ingram in 2014-15…Sideroff was never drafted into the WHL but was instead listed by Kamloops…overall I see Sideroff as a prospect who could offer some solid value in the last few rounds of the 2015 NHL Draft…while none of his traits truly stand out in a big way against this class, he has few holes in his game and has above-average hockey sense…in my mind he projects as a player who will have to continue to work hard to climb each rung of the professional ladder, topping out as a top 9 NHL player if all goes very well…I expect we’ll see him come off the board starting near the middle of the 5th round at the 2015 NHL Draft…

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Loved him for first half of the year but then cooled off a lot as season went on. I am very curious to see how he will do next year with Ully gone. I wouldn't be surprised to see a team draft him, but I think it will be late in the draft. Extremely hard working right handed forward that had a pretty good season stats wise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad