RW Daniel Sprong (2015, 46th, PIT; traded to ANA)

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Eh, maybe...but he did make the championship squad as an 18 year old...I can't imagine he's going to toil about in the minors for very long...but, yet again, who knows...

If I was a betting man - which I am - nothing negative comes about from the situation and he goes on to have a nice career...
He didn't really make the championship squad though. He was there for 18 games in what appeared to be a dispute between management and the coaching staff.

We will see how it plays out, but I'm sure the Pens wish they sent him down prior to 10 last year and never activated his ELC.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
He didn't really make the championship squad though. He was there for 18 games in what appeared to be a dispute between management and the coaching staff.

We will see how it plays out, but I'm sure the Pens wish they sent him down prior to 10 last year and never activated his ELC.

They're probably more concerned with the 40 game mark that, once surpassed, makes you eligible to become an unrestricted free agent a year earlier.

Thebesthockey

Aug 6, 2013
as of friday, he becomes the best player playing in the Q
period

loads of talent
no issues making pittsburgh in 2017/18 season

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
They're probably more concerned with the 40 game mark that, once surpassed, makes you eligible to become an unrestricted free agent a year earlier.
There burning an entire NHL year off his contract this year, I don't think they are too happy about that. He becomes an RFA (and I'm pretty sure has to clear waivers) in 2018/19 and is coming off major surgery. That is not an ideal situation on a boom/bust prospect taken in the 2nd round.

Spade

Resident Tool
Mar 12, 2014
Digging a Hole
There burning an entire NHL year off his contract this year, I don't think they are too happy about that. He becomes an RFA (and I'm pretty sure has to clear waivers) in 2018/19 and is coming off major surgery. That is not an ideal situation on a boom/bust prospect taken in the 2nd round.

Well, Sprong isn't going to have the body of work to get a huge 2nd contract, so I think the Pens are okay with having him on a cost-controlled contract for longer. If Sprong is as good as people think he'll be, the waiver eligibility won't even come up by year 3.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com

This is not correct.

He signed at 18. He has 5 seasons or 160 games before he loses waiver exemption I believe. In other words, like I said above, "burning" that year on the contract could break either way but will likely not have a substantial effect on anything...

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
This is not correct.

He signed at 18. He has 5 seasons or 160 games before he loses waiver exemption I believe. In other words, like I said above, "burning" that year on the contract could break either way but will likely not have a substantial effect on anything...
Nope, read this.

There is an exception for 18 and 19 year olds: If an 18 or 19 year old skater plays 11 NHL games or more, the year exemption will reduce to 3, and the following two season will count against these 3 years regardless of games played.

https://www.capfriendly.com/waivers-faq

The 5 years applies if the player is returned to Jr, europe or AHL. Once he plays 11 games the next years start burning off regardless of what level he is playing at.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
Regardless of the waiver rule, I'm not concerned that Sprong will even need a full season in the AHL before he's fully NHL ready, nor do I think he'll have a big enough body of work to get a big second contract. Losing that year of his ELC sucks, but I doubt his bridge deal breaks the bank.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Can anyone chime in on how he's looking in his first handful of games back?

He's been the same old Sprong really.

Rarely uses his team mates, tries to dangle around everyone and fails 9 times out of ten, but that one time he gets to the goalie its a guaranteed goal.

I have seen some flashes of light back checking but not much.

He is a very polarising player, some love him because he does have that high end skill and can make those flashy plays. Some hate him because he is not a team first guy, he is a Sprong first guy, he is a defensive liability, and can't drive a line.
Also many RUMOURS yes just rumours but could carry weight to it, that he is not very liked by his team mates.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Rarely uses his team mates, tries to dangle around everyone and fails 9 times out of ten, but that one time he gets to the goalie its a guaranteed goal.

He is a very polarising player, some love him because he does have that high end skill and can make those flashy plays. Some hate him because he is not a team first guy, he is a Sprong first guy, he is a defensive liability, and can't drive a line.
Also many RUMOURS yes just rumours but could carry weight to it, that he is not very liked by his team mates.

That's disappointing to hear. Hopefully it's just a case of him not caring all that much about junior hockey, but it's still not a good sign regardless.

Attitude aside for a moment, what does his game look like right now? Speed, strength, shot, positioning away from the puck?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

Similar things were said about Athanasiou when he played in Juniors. He's doing well so far in the NHL.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
That's disappointing to hear. Hopefully it's just a case of him not caring all that much about junior hockey, but it's still not a good sign regardless.

Attitude aside for a moment, what does his game look like right now? Speed, strength, shot, positioning away from the puck?

Nailed it right there, I just don't think he cares. which is disappointing.

He has a high speed skill game. He seems to be stronger this year, but it hasn't helped him any, he's pretty easy to knock him off the puck as he's always trying to deke around you, instead of guarding the puck, and going down the boards. He has a great shot when he uses it properly, gets caught trying to be to fancy with the shot and misses the net due to it, but when he tries its A+. Positioning away from the puck is mediocre at best, in the defensive zone, he's always skating up around the blue line waiting and calling for the pass, he likes to carry the puck so much its hard to get a good read on him without it..

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
Nailed it right there, I just don't think he cares. which is disappointing.

He has a high speed skill game. He seems to be stronger this year, but it hasn't helped him any, he's pretty easy to knock him off the puck as he's always trying to deke around you, instead of guarding the puck, and going down the boards. He has a great shot when he uses it properly, gets caught trying to be to fancy with the shot and misses the net due to it, but when he tries its A+. Positioning away from the puck is mediocre at best, in the defensive zone, he's always skating up around the blue line waiting and calling for the pass, he likes to carry the puck so much its hard to get a good read on him without it..

Sounds very similar to how Garland had went abouts during his time in the Q, which is very alarming if Sprong doesn't adjust his game soon. He's not gonna get away with that for long.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Like what other people have said, I think this is just an issue of him not caring about playing junior hockey and wanting to go pro. I really wouldn't be surprised if he's not liked by his teammates, he gives off that kinda vibe of a super arrogant skill guy. He'll need to fix his selfish play issues though. I think you can attribute his lack of backchecking and stuff like that to being indifferent on playing in the Q, but he can't continue to not use his linemates. That simply won't work when you're playing with guys like Crosby and Malkin.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
He's 19 lol, he has plenty of time.

This gets back to the point about how he's going to have only one year left where he can go to the AHL and back before requiring waivers, which isn't the best situation for a player who might need development time.

This is my first extensive look at Sprong, just figured he was getting eased back into things because he was out so long. Charlottetown has a lot of skilled forward now and Sprong isn't really standing out to me. As said above, when he does score goals they are really nice but everything in between leaves you wanting more.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
He has looked ALOT better the last week or so. Using his size and team mates alot more. Back checking more. Even has had some PK time (didnt look great on it, but thats another story for another time). Now I'm not sure if this was a factor in his change of play or not but Mark Recchi watched 3 or 4 straight games of his the last few weeks. So itll be interesting to see if he was just putting on a show or if hes finally changed for the better.

Ive been one of his biggest critics since his draft year, and ive been happily surprised with his play as of late.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad