RW Christian Fischer - Windsor Spitfires, OHL (2015, 32nd, ARZ)

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
He's a guy I keep on hearing coming in to multiple mock drafts. Anyone know about how he plays, what round he should be taken in and what is his potential.

9 points in 7 games

Stats

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=226901

A very simple, north/south powerforward type of player. Don't expect much in creativity but the kid is built like a truck, dominates with size and loves bulldozing his way into the offensive zone. Decent skating for his size, slightly heavy, but not to the point of being a flaw. Actually, when the 6-0 212lbss player gets going at top speed, he is extremely hard to stop.

I think he is a possible high 2nd round pick, depending on how deep the draft is. But he is very dominant due to his strength/size, can be dangerous along the boards and in front of the net, just question whether he can provide more versatility to his game other than just pure strength.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
A very simple, north/south powerforward type of player. Don't expect much in creativity but the kid is built like a truck, dominates with size and loves bulldozing his way into the offensive zone. Decent skating for his size, slightly heavy, but not to the point of being a flaw. Actually, when the 6-0 212lbss player gets going at top speed, he is extremely hard to stop.

I think he is a possible high 2nd round pick, depending on how deep the draft is. But he is very dominant due to his strength/size, can be dangerous along the boards and in front of the net, just question whether he can provide more versatility to his game other than just pure strength.

Thanks kind of sounds like from your description a 3'rd line center. Another thing that could be valuable usually when players are strong and quick are very good at drawing penaltys.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Thanks kind of sounds like from your description a 3'rd line center. Another thing that could be valuable usually when players are strong and quick are very good at drawing penaltys.

He is a winger but yeah, his type of game would definitely draw penalties because he loves playing the powergame but has the size to not be pushed over or beaten. Either has to be caught with his feet still, poked skillfully, or outmuscled by an even bigger player. Otherwise, he's going to bring in a lot of hooking penalties. He isn't fast or agile, but he isn't slow or immobile either, sort of in between, but good enough for a 212lb guy.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
He is a winger but yeah, his type of game would definitely draw penalties because he loves playing the powergame but has the size to not be pushed over or beaten. Either has to be caught with his feet still, poked skillfully, or outmuscled by an even bigger player. Otherwise, he's going to bring in a lot of hooking penalties. He isn't fast or agile, but he isn't slow or immobile either, sort of in between, but good enough for a 212lb guy.

Really he's a winger I've only heard he's a center.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
semantics really. EP's USHL stats are correct, they just don't have his NAHL single game and the games against NCAA teams yet. :)

EP has been slowly this year ... think its because they are busy updating their entire site. But yeah, their stats are lagging a few games for some reason.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
I thought he showed some talent at the Americans Prospects Game; handled the puck well and has a very quick release, but could use some work on accuracy. I was impressed with his shot. He played as a winger here.

Looked bigger than 6'0"... looked bigger than Colin White, listed at 6'0", who centered him in this game.

semantics really. EP's USHL stats are correct, they just don't have his NAHL single game and the games against NCAA teams yet. :)
For USNTDP players, their own site has much more accurate stats and should be the first place to look for their stats, IMO.

john g

Mar 6, 2002
Korbi
I thought he showed some talent at the Americans Prospects Game; handled the puck well and has a very quick release, but could use some work on accuracy. I was impressed with his shot. He played as a winger here.

Looked bigger than 6'0"... looked bigger than Colin White, listed at 6'0", who centered him in this game.

For USNTDP players, their own site has much more accurate stats and should be the first place to look for their stats, IMO.

while i agree with you, looking at his whole body of work, EP is broken down by leagues. to lump the NAHL, USHL and vs. college teams into one statistical line isn't how that site works.

thefeebster

Mar 13, 2009
Vancouver
while i agree with you, looking at his whole body of work, EP is broken down by leagues. to lump the NAHL, USHL and vs. college teams into one statistical line isn't how that site works.
Prior to the USNTDP's recent website upheaval, they provided a detailed excel spreadsheet, breaking down the scoring per league. With this new website format, it seems like they are limited to only one stat page, unfortunately. I've asked them about it. But those spreadsheets were always more accurate last season than eliteprospects.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Bump

I've seen him a bit this year and he seems very underrated to me. Could someone that has seen him more often tell me his strengths, weaknesses and where you project him to go in the draft?

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
C Christian Fischer - USNTDP, USHL (2015 Draft)

He is ranked 39 on Bob McKenzie's list. Anybody seen him play?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I have but it was a while ago. He seems like an all-around sorta player. Probably could be the kind of third liner every team could use.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
seems he and Brendan Warren have swapped spots as Warren was hyped up very highly last year and though still a solid prospect, it is Fischer who is rising p the ranks.

big and strong player, a bull-type on his skates. he actually reminds me a bit of a young David Backes. If he puts it all together this kid has the chance to be a real good player because his offense is underrated imo and he has the ability to score and put up goals.

hoc123

Feb 23, 2014
How has he done this year so far? Also how is his draft position looking. I've heard likely for Late 2'nd-Early 3'rd round.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Is he exclusively playing RW or has he had any games at C this year? What does he project as on the NHL level?

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Is he exclusively playing RW or has he had any games at C this year? What does he project as on the NHL level?

Definitely a winger. Luke Kunin is his center and has been all year as far as I know.

As a side note, it's insane that this U18 team lost Kirwan and Yan and still ices an insane top-9.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
he is one of my favs for this draft...big and strong kid that has enough skill to make it to the NHL in a number of capacities.. he is a riser for June, early 2nd as it stands.

whlscowt

I'm really biased but I think he's a first round talent. I think it'll be hard for him to sneak into this first round though, but it's possible. Teams are going to fall in love with his mix of NHL size, physicality and skill. He protects the puck really well, skates above average, has some decent mitts, and he's got a knack for finding open players despite not being known as a passer. He reminds me a bit of Virtanen without the speed and some of the flashy scoring ability, but he also brings a bit more grit, a bit more heart, and a bit more dependability in the defensive zone too. I think a team like Chicago will fall in love with him and based on where he's from and how he does play a -bit- (not saying he is) like Toews.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad