RW Cameron Askew - Drummondville Voltigeurs, QMJHL (2015 undrafted)

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
Askew is in the QMJHL after bailing on two different college commitments. He's no longer eligible for NCAA hockey.

Seems like he had an average rookie year at best in the Q.

He didn't have much ice time. He played on the fourth line. He'll get more nex season, Drummondville will be in rebuild mode.

Askew is probably the only American I've seen showing up to the Q draft in several years.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
He didn't have much ice time. He played on the fourth line. He'll get more nex season, Drummondville will be in rebuild mode.

Askew is probably the only American I've seen showing up to the Q draft in several years.

I still have big hopes for Askew next season. Like you said he was buried on the 4th line and hopefully he can find a way to get top 6 minutes next year. If he can do that he will be a name again to really consider as a top prospect for this draft as 6'3 power wingers with skill do not grow on trees.

herbst20

Jul 8, 2011
Askew is in the QMJHL after bailing on two different college commitments. He's no longer eligible for NCAA hockey.

Seems like he had an average rookie year at best in the Q.

Not to mention hanging Indiana (USHL) out to dry by signing a tender and then bolting. Cost Indiana a 1st round pick.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
He had a bit of an underwhelming year to be honest but didn't get much of a chance on a deep team. The raw potential is definitely there as is his size and tools. I think he'll have a big season playing top 6 minutes next season if he can put it all together.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
Apparently traded to Moncton. I think he was supposed to be a top 5 talent in the last draft, can anyone comment on him that has seen him play? Didn't seem to have that great of a year.

Moncton must have about over half the Americans in the Q on their roster now.

Mathletic

Feb 28, 2002
Ste-Foy
Apparently traded to Moncton. I think he was supposed to be a top 5 talent in the last draft, can anyone comment on him that has seen him play? Didn't seem to have that great of a year.

Moncton must have about over half the Americans in the Q on their roster now.

I can't say he stood out in any of the games I watched last year.

Zach Malatesta will join Moncton. Didn't hear anything about Askew being traded.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
I can't say he stood out in any of the games I watched last year.

Zach Malatesta will join Moncton. Didn't hear anything about Askew being traded.

Jérôme Bérubé @Jerome_Berube
From what i was told, Cam Askew will be traded to Moncton. More details to come.

Kirk- NEHJ

Aug 22, 2002
CAV Country!
www.hockeyjournal.com
Askew is no doubt talented, but his jumping around from commitment to commitment, team to team has not served him well.

He'll have some tough questions coming his way from NHL teams for sure. Unfortunately, talk is cheap, so barring a major breakout with Moncton, these last couple of years will cost him. How much remains to be seen.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
He asked for a trade at Christmas. He wasn't even halfway in his first QMJHL season and he had already asked for a trade.

Drummondville said they didn't see eye to eye with the family about his development. He also had a tough time with the french environment.

A lot of things that will scare NHL teams.

Lazy.
When things don't go his way, he gives up.
Can't adapt to different environments.

WildcatMapleLeafs28

Jun 30, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Glad to have him aboard. Only caught a couple of his games last year but like his size and potential. Hope he can put these issues behind him with this fresh start and make up some ground in his draft year.

wein

Jul 2, 2013
how are his chances now for getting top 6 minutes?

I obviously understand he needs to earn it, but how much of a log jam is infront of him forward wise?

Moncton has a bunch of returning forwards (I think 10 now not including those rumoured to be traded) but I would be surprised if he doesn't get some time up there. They plan to bring in a 20 for forward so that leaves one spot in the top six since 5 are likely filled by Tkachev, Barbashev, Garland, Lalonde and 20 year old forward they bring in.

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Askew is no doubt talented, but his jumping around from commitment to commitment, team to team has not served him well.

He'll have some tough questions coming his way from NHL teams for sure. Unfortunately, talk is cheap, so barring a major breakout with Moncton, these last couple of years will cost him. How much remains to be seen.

It's been a damn disaster.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
great rebound season for Cam.

nearly as many goals this year compared to last year in 40 plus less games :handclap:

6'3 200lbs plus center, kid has some upside here as he has rebounded nicely. I have to imagine some team taking a chance and drafting him this year with the numbers he is putting up.

Dodospice

Jan 19, 2012
Really with 45 points last year and his size, I'm surprised a team didn't take a flier on him in the 6th or 7th round... Maybe they didn't see anything that lead them to believe he could make it to the NHL but there are tools there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad