RW/C Ruslan Iskhakov (2018, 63rd, NYI)

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Oooh, that's an ugly one. It's essentially impossible to tell if he leaves his feet before or after contact, and if the head is the primary point of contact, and on top of that everyone's right that Ishkakov needs to be more careful. Having clarified those points, I still think that D has a responsibility not to try to hurt the player... which he pretty obviously did.

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
For better or worse football is penalizing hitting defenseless players now. I think probably for the better and we'll see the same change in hockey. For sure players need to be aware and avoid putting themselves in dangerous situations but I don't think a failure to do that gives license to their opponents to make a play that has a significant risk of doing permanent harm. There has to be some onus on players not to make a dangerous play. You can still hit a guy with his head down, but lining up a high speed head on collision like this shouldn't be ok.

I can guess what the reaction these ideas will be. If you think I'm wrong I don't think you've understood the severe consequences of concussions or how public opinion is trending on the issue (outside of the macho "just keep your head up" culture).

Where is the double like button?

Oh and, wuss.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
For better or worse football is penalizing hitting defenseless players now. I think probably for the better and we'll see the same change in hockey. For sure players need to be aware and avoid putting themselves in dangerous situations but I don't think a failure to do that gives license to their opponents to make a play that has a significant risk of doing permanent harm. There has to be some onus on players not to make a dangerous play. You can still hit a guy with his head down, but lining up a high speed head on collision like this shouldn't be ok.

I can guess what the reaction these ideas will be. If you think I'm wrong I don't think you've understood the severe consequences of concussions or how public opinion is trending on the issue (outside of the macho "just keep your head up" culture).
If you think the defenseless player rules have improved the NFL then the only explanation I can come up with is we are watching a different league.

blindpass

May 7, 2010
If you think the defenseless player rules have improved the NFL then the only explanation I can come up with is we are watching a different league.
It will improve the lives of the players, post-retirement. If your entertainment is worth more than that then you might come to a different conclusion than I do.

LordNeverLose

Jul 2, 2015
Picking a fight
It will improve the lives of the players, post-retirement. If your entertainment is worth more than that then you might come to a different conclusion than I do.
If you've got a problem with people getting hurt I suggest you don't watch football. The only reason those guys make the millions of dollars they do is because people like seeing athletic freaks slam into each other at high speed. A big hit is one of the most exciting plays in football.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
If you've got a problem with people getting hurt I suggest you don't watch football. The only reason those guys make the millions of dollars they do is because people like seeing athletic freaks slam into each other at high speed. A big hit is one of the most exciting plays in football.
As someone whos delivered his fair share of big hits, and not always legal ones I must say, Id say most of the hits are actually not that hard for the body.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
He has scored 2 goals but both have been beauties. Nice to see he has recovered after getting knocked out not to long ago.

Thrasymachus

Jul 1, 2018
Glad he is healthy. I don't care about point totals, so much as health. The two goals he has scored are indeed quite beautiful, he has talent, just needs to keep his head up.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
He kinda reminds me Khomutov, but Khomutov wasn't just an entertaining player, but a very effective one as well. You can't say the same about Iskhakov.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
That’s my boy.

I was a bit skeptical when we drafted him, but his elite skill level purported in pre-draft scouting reports seems legit. If he can avoid getting killed out there from here on in and keeping his head up, dimunitive yet supremely skilled individuals have been thriving in today's NHL. I like the gamble considering Wahlstrom was already in the fold.

Reactions: SI90

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
I was a bit skeptical when we drafted him, but his elite skill level purported in pre-draft scouting reports seems legit. If he can avoid getting killed out there from here on in and keeping his head up, dimunitive yet supremely skilled individuals have been thriving in today's NHL. I like the gamble considering Wahlstrom was already in the fold.
I was hoping we drafted Ruslan just didn’t think it would happen in the second as most draft stuff I read had him going in the third. Ruslan still doesn’t get first pp minutes from what I’ve read from UConn fans. Kid has skill great vision and plays with some bite. Sure his size is always concerning but after watching him in the under 18 I was hoping the islanders took a chance on this kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad