RW/C Mikko Rantanen (2015, 10th, COL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So the team loses 5-1. Rantanen scores the goal on a play that created and finished by him and finishes the night +1.

I think the Rampage will be in trouble when he goes to play in the WJC.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
So the team loses 5-1. Rantanen scores the goal on a play that created and finished by him and finishes the night +1.

I think the Rampage will be in trouble when he goes to play in the WJC.

To me he is the best NHL prospect playing in the AHL right now. To be doing what he is doing in the year he was drafted is relatively unheard of.

9 goals, 14 assists, +14 in 19 games. 1.21 PPG. Those would be great numbers for seasoned vets in the AHL. Not a first year just drafted rookie.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
It looks like finland has a good future, with all this young talent comming up. I havnt seen that much of rantanen, but what i have seen has impresse me.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
It quite literally, happened last year.

lol

I am not aware of any other just drafted player doing what Rantanen is doing this year as a player scoring at a 1.21 PPG pace as of Dec 17 of an AHL season.

Which is noteworthy in itself, he should be even better after Christmas and the World Juniors when he is even more acclimated to NA.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
This^

Is not this^

Please be more consistent.

Thank you.

It is consistent. No player that was just drafted is putting up a 1.21PPG pace after almost 20 games in the AHL.

Not sure why you disputing this. And he is achieving this from the start of the year. That's doubly impressive.

That was my point in my first post you replied to.

mikebel111*

To me he is the best NHL prospect playing in the AHL right now. To be doing what he is doing in the year he was drafted is relatively unheard of.

9 goals, 14 assists, +14 in 19 games. 1.21 PPG. Those would be great numbers for seasoned vets in the AHL. Not a first year just drafted rookie.

Nylander's production has been more impressive

Prins Filip

Jun 3, 2010
Filippines
Nylander's production has been more impressive

But he is not on his first post-draft season.

Also Nylander is an one-dimensional offensive player while Rantanen is more of an all-around player who brings a lot more to the table than you are able to see from the scoresheet. :sarcasm:

God damn, don't fill this thread with unrelated Nylanderbation again...

Last edited:

Sergei Berezin

You're Wrong
Jan 5, 2007
Ottawa, ON
It is consistent. No player that was just drafted is putting up a 1.21PPG pace after almost 20 games in the AHL.

Not sure why you disputing this. And he is achieving this from the start of the year. That's doubly impressive.

You realize that Rantanen is a '96 born, too, right? The difference between the two players is 6 months. They took a very similar route to get to where they are now (playing and being drafted out of a European mens league, coming overseas and playing extremely well in the AHL). The only difference being that MR was given a stint with the NHL squad, whereas Nylander hasn't been given that option yet.

Anyway, I've been a huge fan of MR for some time now. I'm surprised he fell to Colorado.I would have taken him over Werenksi, Meier and Zacha.

Anyone else think that staying in Finland was a mistake on his part for his draft position? It definitely helped his two-way game, but he was unfairly relied on to be almost all the offence on a terrible TPS team at the age of 18... maybe he could have joined the CHL for his draft season, dominated for a year and had been drafted somewhere around where Zacha was taken? For Colorado's purposes, though, I'm sure they wouldn't change a thing. He's a huge, two-way forward who should be quite a player.
Also, how long has he been playing wing? 2 years?

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008

No.

To be doing what he is doing in the year he was drafted is relatively unheard of.

This sentence here is broad/ambiguous. What that means is, it also applies to players drafted in years prior; especially with the 'relatively unheard of' part. Now, in other posts, you changed the sentence to around to include 'just drafted', that is much better, and accurate.

I don't get the need to compare Rantanen to fellow Finn Puljujarvi, like that poll that was created a while back. Both players are fantastic in their own right, both should develop into elite players that Finland will be smiling about.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011

Name me a recently drafted player that put up 1.21 PPG with a similar game sample size as Rantanen's. You challenged this when I said it was unheard of for a player to be almost putting up 1 1/4 points per game that was drafted 3 months into the pros.

You disagreed, so you should have an example without even thinking about it.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Name me a recently drafted player that put up 1.21 PPG with a similar game sample size as Rantanen's. You challenged this when I said it was unheard of for a player to be almost putting up 1 1/4 points per game that was drafted 3 months into the pros.

Pasta was 1.12, they are too just completely different players, like Nylander and Rants.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Name me a recently drafted player that put up 1.21 PPG with a similar game sample size as Rantanen's.You challenged this when I said it was unheard of for a player to be almost putting up 1 1/4 points per game that was drafted 3 months into the pros.

Once again, too vague.

Pastrnak was drafted recently.

What is even crazier is that Pastrnak started in the AHL 5 months younger than when Rantanen started.

Two very impressive young players.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014

1.21 is closer to a fifth than a quarter. Like way closer

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Like it matters whether one's ppg is 1.19 or 1.36 over a span of 20 games.

That is exactly my point, thank you.

Both are very impressive prospects and every team should covet them. I believe they both produced very well for their age and situation and should both be celebrated.

Scary to think that the Finns can have three top 5 scores in the WJC with Laine, Rantanen and Puljujärvi

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Once again, too vague.

Pastrnak was drafted recently.

What is even crazier is that Pastrnak started in the AHL 5 months younger than when Rantanen started.

Two very impressive young players.

Pastrnak, that's one, which is virtually unheard of and consistent to what I posted. I would prefer Rantanen's skillset of size, skill, and power 10/10 times all things equal, though I do like Pastranak as well.

HockeyHistorian

Mar 17, 2015
Like it matters whether one's ppg is 1.19 or 1.36 over a span of 20 games.

This. They are both great in their own right and it's next to impossible to say who is better now or in the future. And this applies not only to them, but to the majority of these pissing matches here on HF.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
Want some raving? Rantanen is a fantastic prospect, one of the best born 96 born players in the world, and one of the best prospects currently not in the nhl. I'd go so far as to say as he may be the best 96 born winger.

As for unheard of at the NHL level, there's another 96 doing it this year also as a 19 year old, and one did it last year as an 18.

Last edited by a moderator:

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Pastrnak, that's one, which is virtually unheard of and consistent to what I posted. I would prefer Rantanen's skillset of size, skill, and power 10/10 times all things equal, though I do like Pastranak as well.

Relatively unheard of? It happened in back to back years. Just goes to show, if more young players were allowed in the AHL, we might see this more often. Heck, Vrana had 5 points in 3 games, Fabbri had 4 points in 3 games, players like Eberle have put up a PPG as both an 18 year old and a 19 year old.

All these kids are high quality, would love to have any of them.

Wish the AHL let in exceptional CHL players.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Relatively unheard of? It happened in back to back years. Just goes to show, if more young players were allowed in the AHL, we might see this more often. Heck, Vrana had 5 points in 3 games, Fabbri had 4 points in 3 games, players like Eberle have put up a PPG as both an 18 year old and a 19 year old.

All these kids are high quality, would love to have any of them.

Wish the AHL let in exceptional CHL players.

Stop. Please stop with this and recognize Rantanen for what he is doing at the AHL level as a player that was drafted just 3+ months ago.

Posting players with 3 game samples and comparing them to Rantanen is silly. This was already addressed where I asked you to post players that have played the similar sample of games Rantanen has played. 3 games does not equal 20. Even if he goes scoreless his next game he will still be comfortably above 1 PPG.

Based on this, and the one example you gave. There should be no objection to what I posted that you said was not consistent.

Let's get back on Rantanen and the terrific player he is. And less with these posts where I have to address these inaccurate claims.

Originally Posted by The Mentalist View Post

To be doing what he is doing in the year he was drafted is relatively unheard of.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Stop. Please stop with this and recognize Rantanen for what he is doing at the AHL level as a player that was drafted just 3+ months ago.

I've said many times Rantanen is a great prospect.

Not sure where this hostility is coming from.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
I didn't say anything conclusively, I simply said it was fair to think that Nylander could be MVP. He already has experience toying with that tournament (which Mikko has never done) and in absolute terms he has produced more this year, that's a fact. If Mikko were to maintain his pace, then he will produce the same as Will, but until he does that he hasn't produced as much.

Can we have a discussion without the automatic defensiveness? Mikko is a hell of a player, and right now his closest comparable in terms of production, draft position and age is being brought up, who would've thought?

Nylander may have had more points but Rantanen caught my attention much more. He scored some huge goals and was a physical force all over the ice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad