RW Brock Boeser - North Dakota, NCAA (2015, 23rd, VAN) II

JA

Otherwise known as "Brock Besnar," according to Liam McHugh.

2:37:00, 2:39:06, and 2:40:42:

7Shtm6I.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Szechwan

Sep 13, 2006
In the interest of continuing where we left off..

Szechwan said:
Even if he looks great in the preseason I would prefer he start in the AHL. I don't see why anyone would argue that either to be honest- If he's NHL calibre, then he'll dominate with the Comets and be up in no time anyways.

At this point it should be pretty clear to Vancouver fans that you need to make these kids earn it every step of the way.

PrinceOfPucks

Jan 4, 2016
Canucks and Boeser fan here ..

As of right now I think Brock should spend at least half a season if not more in the AHL ..

His IQ and Shot is definitely NHL level right now but I think his skating can use a lot of work. His strides are short and lack power and he loses speed when he is on his edges. His acceleration will get better with added leg strength

Boesers skating actually reminds me a lot of Horvats skating before BO spent the whole summer w a power skating coach and has now become a top end skater.

I hope Boeser can improve his skating as it will put him better positions and opportunities to score. He is so smart and his shot is elite that if he added skating with it I wouldn't 've surprised if he became a top end winger scoring 30/30 a year.

A good comparison I would use to describe Boeser is Shane Doan without the greasyness.

Laterade

Feb 9, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Canucks and Boeser fan here ..

As of right now I think Brock should spend at least half a season if not more in the AHL ..

His IQ and Shot is definitely NHL level right now but I think his skating can use a lot of work. His strides are short and lack power and he loses speed when he is on his edges. His acceleration will get better with added leg strength

Boesers skating actually reminds me a lot of Horvats skating before BO spent the whole summer w a power skating coach and has now become a top end skater.

I hope Boeser can improve his skating as it will put him better positions and opportunities to score. He is so smart and his shot is elite that if he added skating with it I wouldn't 've surprised if he became a top end winger scoring 30/30 a year.

A good comparison I would use to describe Boeser is Shane Doan without the greasyness.

A clean Shane Doan is actually an amazing thing.
I Approve of this comparison.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I hadn't been following him for a bit, but looks like he's really struggling to get on the score sheet. 0 pts in his last 5 games? Both his linemates are producing at a higher rate.

I watched him play UMD and he was quite invisible. What concerns me most is that it looks like his skating has stopped improving, and maybe even gotten a bit worse. During the summer he seemed to make some huge strides in that department, but it looks like he's reverting to his old style (shorter stride lengths, leaning over a bit, slower first step). The reason that concerns me is that I watched the same thing happen with Schremp.

Reactions: Fixxer

Tobi Wan Kenobi

May 25, 2011
Vancouver
I hadn't been following him for a bit, but looks like he's really struggling to get on the score sheet. 0 pts in his last 5 games? Both his linemates are producing at a higher rate.

I watched him play UMD and he was quite invisible. What concerns me most is that it looks like his skating has stopped improving, and maybe even gotten a bit worse. During the summer he seemed to make some huge strides in that department, but it looks like he's reverting to his old style (shorter stride lengths, leaning over a bit, slower first step). The reason that concerns me is that I watched the same thing happen with Schremp.

Well he had been playing hurt most of the year and then was shut down with wrist surgery...sorry but anyone who's had surgery midseason knows it's a difficult road. Especially to your wrist in hockey. I'm not gonna have a strong opinion him until next year in training camp. Button still says he's one of it not the best player not playing in the NHL right now

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Well he had been playing hurt most of the year and then was shut down with wrist surgery...sorry but anyone who's had surgery midseason knows it's a difficult road. Especially to your wrist in hockey. I'm not gonna have a strong opinion him until next year in training camp. Button still says he's one of it not the best player not playing in the NHL right now

Do you think he's the best or one of the best players not playing in the NHL?

Puljujarvi
Keller
Barzal
Chabot
Connor
White
Steel
McAvoy
Malgin
Sergachev
Nylander
Jost
Greenway
Roslovic
Fischer
Patrick
Hischier

Hard to say he's better than these guys - and that's just North America. I'd say Gersich is even the better player right now.

I'd also think it a stretch to say his wrist problems are affecting his skating ability.

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC

Puljujarvi
Keller
Barzal
Chabot
Connor
White
Steel
McAvoy
Malgin
Sergachev
Nylander
Jost
Greenway
Roslovic
Fischer
Patrick
Hischier

Hard to say he's better than these guys - and that's just North America. I'd say Gersich is even the better player right now.

I'd also think it a stretch to say his wrist problems are affecting his skating ability.

Idk...not playing from Nov 19 2016 - Jan 6 2017, due to wrist surgery might have an affect. Also he's still getting his timing back on his wrist shot, once that happens he should be back to last season/early this seasons form, but we'll see.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014

Its concerning thats for sure but Button recently called him maybe the best hockey player outside the nhl which is pretty over the top so will have to be a lil more patient with these struggles. Maybe the ahl is the best for him next year well Gaudette makes the jump raight away to the Canucks. I hope he makes it but if is best for his development in the ahl then thats ok too i guess

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Its concerning thats for sure but Button recently called him maybe the best hockey player outside the nhl which is pretty over the top so will have to be a lil more patient with these struggles. Maybe the ahl is the best for him next year well Gaudette makes the jump raight away to the Canucks. I hope he makes it but if is best for his development in the ahl then thats ok too i guess

But, but wouldn't that make him a bust like you call Kyle Connor?

SelltheTeamFrancesco

Aug 11, 2015

Puljujarvi
Keller
Barzal
Chabot
Connor
White
Steel
McAvoy
Malgin
Sergachev
Nylander
Jost
Greenway
Roslovic
Fischer
Patrick
Hischier

Half of these player are not better Boeser lol. What a bad list open your eyes.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles

Puljujarvi
Keller
Barzal
Chabot
Connor
White
Steel
McAvoy
Malgin
Sergachev
Nylander
Jost
Greenway
Roslovic
Fischer
Patrick
Hischier

Judging by your post history, you seem to have some sort of bias against Boeser. Out of all the players on that list, only a handful are better prospects than him.

And, yes, he is the best player on his team.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
The quote was by Craig Button. Who seems to watch a lot of players.

And despite that, his opinion on the player is extremely debatable. Do you agree with his opinion?

I really don't get the appeal to authority with regard to evaluating prospects.

Judging by your post history, you seem to have some sort of bias against Boeser. Out of all the players on that list, only a handful are better prospects than him.

And, yes, he is the best player on his team.

Nothing "against" Boeser, I just find whim highly overrated. Like when last spring he was voted as a better prospect than Aho (lol).

Which players on that list is Boeser definitively better than? Because he's certainly not better than Jost. I'd argue Gersich has been better this year as well.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
I love Boeser as a prospect, but calling one of the best players not in the NHL is crazy imo.

Do you really think he's better than Kovalchuk and Datsyuk? Shipachyov, Mozyakin, and Voynov?

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam

I don't like his skating at all. I'm legit concerned that he won't translate to the NHL because of it. He needs to focus 100% on improving skating IMO. Everything else looks top notch.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I love Boeser as a prospect, but calling one of the best players not in the NHL is crazy imo.

Do you really think he's better than Kovalchuk and Datsyuk? Shipachyov, Mozyakin, and Voynov?

There's a lot of players not in the NHL.

When I hear "one of the best not in the NHL" I'm not thinking top 5-6. Let's just say Button was suggesting he thought he was one of the top 30 outside the NHL. I'd still classify that as "one of the best not in the NHL" and quite realistic.

Disappointed EP40

Jan 13, 2015
I don't like his skating at all. I'm legit concerned that he won't translate to the NHL because of it. He needs to focus 100% on improving skating IMO. Everything else looks top notch.

Yes. Until he makes the big jump in skating, which can be impossible for many, I'm reserving expectations. `Hopefully mgmt sees this and puts in some extra attention to it as soon as they can. ****... talk to Horvat about his skating coach connection.

Evolu7ion

#firelindenning
Sep 20, 2010
Victoria, BC

Puljujarvi
Keller
Barzal
Chabot
Connor
White
Steel
McAvoy
Malgin
Sergachev
Nylander
Jost
Greenway
Roslovic
Fischer
Patrick
Hischier

So based on your last few posts, you appear to be judging Boeser's merit as a player on a few weeks of play just after an injury to the body part that drives his greatest strength (shot)...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad