RW Blake Speers (2015, 67th, NJD, traded to ARI)

TheGoodShepard

Mar 29, 2014
Noticed that he didn't have his own thread, so I guess I'll start it here.

19+21=40, +1 in 62 games in the regular season and had 3 assists last night in the Round 1 series clincher vs. Owen Sound.

Anyone want to give me a more detailed scouting report on the kid? Notice the OHL website has him listed at 5'11", 162, so is his size a detriment?

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com

19+21=40, +1 in 62 games in the regular season and had 3 assists last night in the Round 1 series clincher vs. Owen Sound.

Anyone want to give me a more detailed scouting report on the kid? Notice the OHL website has him listed at 5'11", 162, so is his size a detriment?

He's hot and cold, which is to be expected at his age and experience. But he's got really good tools. I could see him taking the next step and becoming as dangerous as an Ehlers. He's a really smooth fast and a beaut to watch.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

On the "smaller" side, but he's fearless in front of the net. Scored the majority of his goals just inside the slot or above the crease this year. Has a really good head for the game and already gets himself in positions to make plays in the offensive end.

I had him as the 4th most impressive '97 in the OHL this year.

http://ohlprospects.blogspot.ca/2014/03/sunday-top-10-most-impressive-1997-born.html

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Gained confidence as the season went on. He is a very smooth skater with great hands and a nice accurate shot with a quick release. He reads plays very well and knows where to go to score after he dishes the puck off. Although small he is growing and filling out and improved his strength a ton from the start of the season and goes into the dirty areas and fights well for the puck. I think he is defiantly a 200 foot player as well who strives to be the best and is a perfectionist. I will not be surprised if he goes top 10 in next years draft but should be a sure fire first rounder because I only see him getting better.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Blake Speers is off to a good start this season in Sault St. Marie. 6 points (3G3A) in 3 games. I think this kid has the potential to be an early riser, and I wouldn't be surprised to see his name mentioned more and more in top 30 draft rankings.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Hope this kid can have a big year and climb high into the 1st round.

cookie

Fresh From The Oven
Nov 24, 2009
Oven then stomach
Puting up a 5-12-17 in 12 games played so far. +2 and 2 PIM. Leads team in scoring as a 17-year old. Not too shabby... listed 5'11 185.

w e l o s t b o y s

Drawing Frog 8
Nov 21, 2009
London
Hattrick today. Don't watch much of the Soo, what's holding him out of the first round vs. some of the other OHL forwards? Is it mostly size?

richardn

Mar 6, 2004
Sault Ste. Marie
Hattrick today. Don't watch much of the Soo, what's holding him out of the first round vs. some of the other OHL forwards? Is it mostly size?

Scouts just don't seem to like him. The knock on him is his strength and sort of shys away at times from going into the dirty areas to battle for pucks. I see him as a speedy playmaking winger with excellent hockey sense. Kind of reminds me of Alex Tanguay. He is more then capable of scoring goals with a nice acurate shot with a quick release. He's definatly highly skilled and reads plays on the fly very well. Right now I would call him the most under rated player in the OHL. Sitting 4th in scoring behind McDavid , Strome and Marner in OHL draft eligible players and yet is left off the CHL top prospects game and getting no love in the draft rankings.

OttMorrow

Sep 18, 2003
Blake Speers - Sault Ste. Marie Greyhounds, OHL (2015 Draft Eligible)

Can anyone give me a scouting report on him? Somebody that has watched him in action.

Thanks!

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
gimme the skinny someone. really liking this pick. 4th highest OHL PPG among 17yr olds. seems like a solid choice

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
gimme the skinny someone. really liking this pick. 4th highest OHL PPG among 17yr olds. seems like a solid choice

Very talented player. Needs a bit of work in pretty much every aspect of his game. Nearly dominant in Juniors, will need several years of AHL development but could turn into a top 6 forward in the NHL.

He's essentially perfect for NJD, imo.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Not as many points/game as last year but he's leading the Soo in scoring and p/g, so definitely a great sign development wise.

KovalSNIPE

Feb 9, 2011
Staying at just above a PPG pace on a much offensively weaker SSM team than what they had last year. Plus ahead in points than "1st round talent" Zack Senyshyn.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Staying at just above a PPG pace on a much offensively weaker SSM team than what they had last year. Plus ahead in points than "1st round talent" Zack Senyshyn.

C'mon. Senyshyn has 41 goals including several highlight reel plays...and he does it all "on a much offensively weaker SSM team than what they had last year."

Speers is fine. Senyshyn is proving doubters wrong.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Quite honestly, I don't think he or Senyshyn are good enough to make it. Blake is especially a tough one because he's from the Sault and we were all hoping he'd be the next guy to make it from here.

Next year will be huge for both of them (almost certain to come back to OHL) and they can really dominate. They remind me a bit of the Catenacci and Cousins duo a few years back.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
Quite honestly, I don't think he or Senyshyn are good enough to make it. Blake is especially a tough one because he's from the Sault and we were all hoping he'd be the next guy to make it from here.

Next year will be huge for both of them (almost certain to come back to OHL) and they can really dominate. They remind me a bit of the Catenacci and Cousins duo a few years back.

Senyshyn was our best prospect in this year's rookie camp. He's already 6'1" almost 200lbs, skates like Modano and can create offense on his own. You think he doesn't have NHL upside?

Interesting.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Senyshyn was our best prospect in this year's rookie camp. He's already 6'1" almost 200lbs, skates like Modano and can create offense on his own. You think he doesn't have NHL upside?

Interesting.
Size and skating are not his problems believe me. He's a really selfish player and it costs us goals. He needs to learn to make simple plays and if he doesn't there's no way he'll be capable of it at the next level. I know you're probably rolling your eyes, but no there's a reason why he can't draw assists. It's a thing and a weird one.

EDIT: I should note, I'm just being critical relative to their position on the hounds. Both these guys can be 5-6 year nhlers, I'm just not convinced they'll be scorers like I would've thought 15 months ago.

Mar 15, 2011
NJ
Speers finishes the year with 74 pts in 68 games, leading the Soo in scoring. He also probably got unlucky shooting wise as he scored on just over 10% of his shots (OHL goalies put up much worse stats than those in the NHL).

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
Speers finishes the year with 74 pts in 68 games, leading the Soo in scoring. He also probably got unlucky shooting wise as he scored on just over 10% of his shots (OHL goalies put up much worse stats than those in the NHL).

The thing I am most excited over is that he is doing it on a weak team compared with last year. They had a dynamite team last year, this year it's only him and senythen that carried the load.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad