RW Anton Rodin - Brynas, SHL (2009, 53rd, VAN)

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Has anyone had the chance to see this kid play? The Canucks took him in the second and it seems that Thomas Gradin (Canucks Euro Scout) is very high on him.

I'm just trying to get a feel for the kind of player he could be, so any scouting reports and/or NHL comparables are welcome.

Bruce Wayne*

fwiw the Oilers also took an Anton......Anton Lander lol. Apparently Lander is future captain material and will be a solid 3rd line guy, whereas Rodin is more skilled, but small and if he doesn't crack the top-6 he will be useless on the bottom lines. Can't really say much else

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
fwiw the Oilers also took an Anton......Anton Lander lol. Apparently Lander is future captain material and will be a solid 3rd line guy, whereas Rodin is more skilled, but small and if he doesn't crack the top-6 he will be useless on the bottom lines. Can't really say much else

Where is all this future 3rd liner talk coming up? Lander is a scorer, guys who were full-time SEL players at 18 y.o recently: R.Nilsson, Backstrom, Markstrom, Hedman, MPS, Josefson, Lander, M.Johansson, T.Erixon, Rundblad. Lander was PPG in J20 year ago, when most of top prospects are PPG or over PPG in draft year. Rodin for example had 19 pts in 35 games and that's good for 17 y.o. Lander had 19 pts in 18 games.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Anton Rodin

The Canucks seem to be really high on their 2nd round pick, Anton Rodin. They even went as far as to say that they were considering him with their 1st if Schroeder wasn't available. Looking at his stats, he seems to have dominated in the Swedish junior league, but wasn't given the opportunity at the next level.

My question is what caused such a huge difference of opinion? How come Vancouver ranked him so high, and why did so many other teams (and scouting services) rank him so low?

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Hmm he did indeed put up great numbers in the juniors... I want to know this aswell :) I've never seen him play so I cant answer your question but as you already said.. those numbers look pretty awesome :)

tyler_sens

May 26, 2007
The Brynas Junior team was stacked last year and was easily head and shoulders above the competition, thats why they won the title and had the record they did. Players stats such as Rodin and Thegal and even to some extent Silfverberg were inflated a bit. By most scouts and Brynas management they see Silfverberg as the best prospect which is why he was playing on the top two lines for his 16 game call up + playoffs and the end of the season. Rodin is next in line and Henrik Thegal is viewed as a future SEL player only. Rodin should play in the SEL this season with maybe a few games back in the minors. I would expect Rodin to play either on the 4th line or the 3rd line with another sens prospect in Emil Sandin. His offensive potential is really high but he also has the potential to bust, plus we don't even know how he will stack up against men in the SEL. Only time will tell but yes Rodin does have solid potential to be a 2nd / 3rd line NHL player.

So ya to answer your question I think the reason why most scouting services didn't rank him all that high is because maybe they thought he was just another player picking up lots of points on a powerhouse junior team.

Last edited:

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
The Brynas Junior team was stacked last year and was easily head and shoulders above the competition, thats why they won the title and had the record they did. Players stats such as Rodin and Thegal and even to some extent Silfverberg were inflated a bit. By most scouts and Brynas management they see Silfverberg as the best prospect which is why he was playing on the top two lines for his 16 game call up + playoffs and the end of the season. Rodin is next in line and Henrik Thegal is viewed as a future SEL player only. Rodin should play in the SEL this season with maybe a few games back in the minors. I would expect Rodin to play either on the 4th line or the 3rd line with another sens prospect in Emil Sandin. His offensive potential is really high but he also has the potential to bust, plus we don't even know how he will stack up against men in the SEL. Only time will tell but yes Rodin does have solid potential to be a 2nd / 3rd line NHL player.

So ya to answer your question I think the reason why most scouting services didn't rank him all that high is because maybe they thought he was just another player picking up lots of points on a powerhouse junior team.
I was looking for more of something about how he plays and the flaws that saw him drop. I know that Brynas was stacked, but Rodin still led the team in points and points-per-game. I'm just curious as to what particular advantages a player like Silfverberg has which allowed him to be called up to the SEL despite being outscored by his teammate, Rodin. Is it physical maturity or something deeper?

tyler_sens

May 26, 2007
I was looking for more of something about how he plays and the flaws that saw him drop. I know that Brynas was stacked, but Rodin still led the team in points and points-per-game. I'm just curious as to what particular advantages a player like Silfverberg has which allowed him to be called up to the SEL despite being outscored by his teammate, Rodin. Is it physical maturity or something deeper?

I can't really give much detail about Rodin just because I havent seen him play but from what I've heard of and seen of in Silfverberg is that he just an overall better player (two-way player). The senators scouts said that hes the type of player that dances with the puck and that he comes back deep into the defensive end and is really good and stealing the puck and leading counter attacks with his speed. They also said that the puck just follows him and its a very hard trait to find in players. From what ive read about Rodin is that he is very good in the offensive zone and apparently him and Silfverberg were deadly on the powerplay. Rodin may be more dangerous in the offensive zone but perhaps more of a liability in the defensive end (perhaps thats the reason he never got called up to the SEL team). Rodin is a very good player but his chances of become an NHL pro are a lot less compared to a player like Silfverberg. I would personally compare Rodin to another sens draft pick Andre Petersson.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
I can't really give much detail about Rodin just because I havent seen him play but from what I've heard of and seen of in Silfverberg is that he just an overall better player (two-way player). The senators scouts said that hes the type of player that dances with the puck and that he comes back deep into the defensive end and is really good and stealing the puck and leading counter attacks with his speed. They also said that the puck just follows him and its a very hard trait to find in players. From what ive read about Rodin is that he is very good in the offensive zone and apparently him and Silfverberg were deadly on the powerplay. Rodin may be more dangerous in the offensive zone but perhaps more of a liability in the defensive end (perhaps thats the reason he never got called up to the SEL team). Rodin is a very good player but his chances of become an NHL pro are a lot less compared to a player like Silfverberg. I would personally compare Rodin to another sens draft pick Andre Petersson.

After reading the Hockeysfuture talent analysis for both (cause thats all I can go on), Rodin is does not sound like the one dimensional your comparison Petterson does.

arsmaster*

Silfverberg is a strong skating two-way forward with good hockey sense. He is a very smart and mature player and is solid both offensively and defensively. Silfverberg has good technical skills and plays with plenty of intensity. His shot is quick, but could be more accurate and he does not really play very physical.

Rödin's offensive game stands out thanks to his superb skating, his shot, hockey sense and puck handling. Usually scores quite spectacular goals and does not shy away from playing physical. Could use some more strength though.He has the offensive arsenal to be a productive player in the future, but has also the fundamental skills to be used as a role and checkling-line player.

Both quotes are from Eliteprospects.com

I think the main reason why Rödin didnt get into SEL is because he is pretty small, 5'11" 176lbs as compared to Silfverberg's 6'1" 190lbs, who is more physically mature.

Tyler-sens just sounds like a Sens homer, I would like to here from someone who has actually seen him play, not looked online, because obviously we all do that.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Both quotes are from Eliteprospects.com

I think the main reason why Rödin didnt get into SEL is because he is pretty small, 5'11" 176lbs as compared to Silfverberg's 6'1" 190lbs, who is more physically mature.

Tyler-sens just sounds like a Sens homer, I would like to here from someone who has actually seen him play, not looked online, because obviously we all do that.
Yeah... no offense to you, Tyler, but I am looking to hear some insight from someone who's seen them play. Your analysis is mostly speculation based on the same cryptic evaluations that I've already read (none of which say that Silfverberg is the better prospect).

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
I saw a few Brynäs games during the 2008-09 season, but I wouldn't say that I noticed Silfverberg that much. My guess is that Jakob was viewed as farther along in his development by Brynäs, or that management were looking for more of a two-way player (that at least I noticed about him).

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Five months later...

and now with the WJC providing a ton of exposure for Anton Rodin. Can people who watched Sweden's games comment on the strengths/weaknesses in Rodin's game? How did he compare with Silfverberg? Does he project as an NHL player?

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
The Red Wings had him ranked very highly also, they would have taken him had Ferraro not been available, same thing with the nucks and Schroeder, so the nucks got lucky and were able to take him before the Wings did, so the wings had to settle for Tatar instead.

Last edited:

Tiranis

Jun 10, 2009
Toronto, ON
The Red Wings had him ranked very highly also, they would have taken him had Ferraro not been available, same thing with the nucks and Schroeder, so the nucks got lucky and were able to take him before the Wings did, so the wings had to settle for Tatar instead. Also he was overlooked because alot of teams just look at the size of a player and say "nah", they also did not like his interviews at the combine apparently, the nucks did better tests on him than just interviews, so they knew what he was really about and really liked what they found.

I'll be that guy... Source?

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Rodin reminds me of Hemsky in that he is a guy who likes to dangle in traffic and is willing to take the hits that come with it.

He isn't as good of a skater as Hemsky, but there is definatly an intriguing prospect here.

Scouter

Oct 21, 2007
Rodin reminds me of Hemsky in that he is a guy who likes to dangle in traffic and is willing to take the hits that come with it.

He isn't as good of a skater as Hemsky, but there is definatly an intriguing prospect here.

I hope he can put the puck in the net more than Hemsky.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I wouldn't compare Rodin to Hemsky as he seems to shoot more than Ales does (see the game against US where Sweden lost. Both goals came off rebounds where Rodin was just putting it on net from a good shooting position).

I'm not quit sure on Rodin yet but i'm hoping next year he's back with Swden in the WJC on a higher line as he seemed to be getting 3rd line time for most of the tourney despite being tied for 2nd most points on Sweden behind MPS.

Love

Feb 29, 2012
So this is a reeeeally old bump, but I think it's warranted.

Are there any SHL followers who can comment on this guy? He Currently has 24pts in 16 games this season. Rodin was drafted in the 2nd round of the '09 Entry Draft and after struggling in NA, he went back to Sweden and it appears he has found his game this season at the age of 24.

The Canucks still hold his rights are there have been some very quiet rumblings around Vancouver that they may be interested in bringing him back.

Anyway, I just wanted to hear from people who have actually seen him recently and what they think he is/could be at the NHL level. Thanks!

Love

Feb 29, 2012
The Canucks still hold his rights are there have been some very quiet rumblings around Vancouver that they may be interested in bringing him back.

OK maybe the rumblings aren't as quiet as I thought. Didn't see this before I posted:

“We have scouts over there this week watching him,” Benning said. “I might try to get over there in early February. We still own his rights so we could sign him and bring him back if that’s what we decide.”

“I think if he comes over it is to play in the NHL,” Benning said. “He is not going to want to sign a contract at this stage to come and play in the American league. We have to make the determination first if he makes this team and where we think he is going to fit on our team. Once we make that determination then we’ll look into what his contract status is and go from there.”

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/canucks+notes+team+considers+swedish+prospect/11505425/story.html

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad