RW Alexander Barabanov - SKA St. Petersburg, KHL (2012 undrafted)

Milos Krasic

Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
2 goals against Lada. Playing with Shirokov and Prokhorkin as line mates.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
He plays a powerforward-ish game based on speed and power, a lot more straightforward than most Russian players. So on one hand, he is a lot closer to a prototypical NA player. On the other, being of a modest size it would be tough for him. By no means impossible though, Nathan Gerbe plays like a big man and it never hurt him.

Last edited:

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
On a side note, this SKA roster is probably the greatest European club roster assembled since the end of the Cold War. Holy moly they are loaded. They could be an NHL playoff team.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
You know hes good when hes producing those #s with 13 minutes a game on the 3rd line.... Meanwhile Tihkonov getting almost 20 a game and has only manage 1 point. SKA needs to cut there team in half, when they get the world cup guys back some good players are going to lose ice time/roster spots.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
You know hes good when hes producing those #s with 13 minutes a game on the 3rd line.... Meanwhile Tihkonov getting almost 20 a game and has only manage 1 point. SKA needs to cut there team in half, when they get the world cup guys back some good players are going to lose ice time/roster spots.
gee, he's been playing for ska? i thought he moved to the na

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Another note on this kid - he might be the best player on his edges in the KHL. Extremely elusive is an understatement, today he slipped another defenseman, made him fall right over with a quick change in direction in the corner. He did the same thing 2 weeks ago when I was watching the SKA game. Kid has high end skating skills no doubt.

NHL RankKing

Fantasy Guru
Aug 31, 2013
Hockeytown
www.nhlrankking.com
He posted 3 assists in his last game with increased ice-time (over 15 mins).
It will be interesting to see how he is utilized once half their team comes back and begins playing after the World Cup.
He's currently top 10 in scoring in the KHL.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Top forward in KHL this week (weekly leaguewide honor). 4 GP, 3 G, 4 A, +4, 12 SOG

9+4 in 12 games.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Top forward in KHL this week (weekly leaguewide honor). 4 GP, 3 G, 4 A, +4, 12 SOG

9+4 in 12 games.

SKA right now is an interesting case of how being trusted and relied upon and getting ice time really impacts numbers.

SKA without 3 forwards sent ot the World Cup has no other choice than give guys like Barabanov and Khocklachev more of a chance. They were not clicking right away. But they are carrying the offence by now. Too bad the World Cup is over for Russia and excpet for injured Datsyuk the guys are coming back, which will push on ice time for the guys mentioned. SKA does have two fully capable KHL rosters. I know it a lot form football when rich clubs just buy too many good players and then some of them rot on the bench. Ska is doing the same now. It's a shame really.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Do people who watch him in the KHL believe he has what it takes to be a successful NHL player?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Do people who watch him in the KHL believe he has what it takes to be a successful NHL player?

It's hard to project with any confidence as I think most people, myself included, believed Sekač or Plotnikov had what it takes. People who signed them believed it too. Turns out, we were wrong. So yes, I believe he does. At the same time, I wouldn't bet on it.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011

Dou you think Telegin could be successful? I don't know if you watched him in the world Cup games, but still... If the answer is yes, then Barabanov surely has at least an aoutside chance(due to size).

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Dou you think Telegin could be successful? I don't know if you watched him in the world Cup games, but still... If the answer is yes, then Barabanov surely has at least an aoutside chance(due to size).

5'10, 200 is more than OK for NHL. I'd say such a stature even gives an advantage, because you're as strong as anybody, but have a lower center of gravity.

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
I wonder if he has any intention of coming over to NA... and if so, perhaps Zaitsev and Soshnikov can encourage him over to the Leafs. ;)

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Toronto has so many NHL ready wingers, why do they need Barabanov? The same can be said about Rangers. I think, Las Vegas can be interested. Or Chicago.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I hope he comes over next year. I selected him in my keeper fantasy league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad