RW Alex DeBrincat (2016, 39th, CHI)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyssy

Jan 2, 2004
Jyväskylä, Finland
I haven't heard anything about this kid. Has put up excellent numbers throughout his junior career. Does he play on the same line with McDavid and Strome and where do you see him go in the draft?

E: Is 2016 draft eligible. How can I edit the topic?

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Been playing on the top line with McDavid. Strome is usually centering the second (though the first line has been stacked a few times).

Like you said he is 2016 eligible, late '97. Putting up great numbers so far. Obviously he is benefiting from the passes he's getting from McDavid but he's small, quick, solid center of gravity, a good finisher and passer, and he's very aggressive. Always looks to force turnovers and isn't afraid to hit guys much bigger than him.

Honestly no idea where he will end up going. Lot of time between now and the 2016 draft.

AwesomePanthers

Maybe next season
Aug 20, 2009
F Alex DeBrincat - Erie Otters, OHL (2016 Draft)

Have anyone seen this guy play? Late 97 born, and small (5'7). But so far 13 goals in 10 OHL games. Product of McDavid or the real deal?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Product of McDavid. Seems like every goal DeBrincat has was McDavid feeding him.

Halfy

yes its Jack from MVP
Jul 23, 2013
Canada
Getting fed like a fat kid on his birthday. :laugh::naughty:
Good player though, just EXTREMELY tough to gauge with Crosby 2.0 on his line. Remember Pouliot from Rimouski? Or the other guy lololol:laugh: (Roussin or something?)

Plastic Joseph

Unregistered User
Mar 21, 2014
Getting fed like a fat kid on his birthday. :laugh::naughty:
Good player though, just EXTREMELY tough to gauge with Crosby 2.0 on his line. Remember Pouliot from Rimouski? Or the other guy lololol:laugh: (Roussin or something?)

To be fair Pouliot was a first round pick in the NHL before Crosby even entered the Q

Colin Mcdavis*

He is a great player and goal scorer with or without mcjesus. Erie lucked out grabbing this Kid. H:handclap:e definitely plays with an edge.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
I think he's a legit prospect. Small, but he's only 16, could grow quite a lot still. As others have noted, plays with a real edge for a little guy, likes to hit and battle for the puck. Seems to have lots of offensive talent, and is obviously ripping it up like crazy with McDavid. Next season will be very telling for him, playing without McDavid, but he looks like a good NHL prospect to me.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Alex DeBrincat Erie OHL 2016 draft

Havent seen anyone really talking about this kid but 15 goals and 12 assists for 27 points in 14 games for the rookie is insanely impressive...I know he is benefiting from the talent around him but from what I have seen this kid has tons of potential ahead for him. Cant wait to see him grow and mature more over the next year plus.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Search didnt bring up anything on my phone...still like the kid and is off to an impressive start regardless of the talent around him..you cant be a scrub to be a 16 year old playing on a line with McDavid

SECRET SQUIRREL

Jan 17, 2007
Clarence
I saw him live when they played in Buffalo and the kid definitely has a lot of talent, no doubt. Just think that he will be judged on his play when he doesn't have a God feeding him the puck all game.

Zarpan

Apr 27, 2010
Vancouver
Obviously McDavid helps a lot, but you need to have some skill to put up those numbers and his USHS numbers looked pretty good too.

He could grow a decent amount still, and even if he doesn't Cam Atkinson could be a reasonable comparable.

Colin Mcdavis*

He had a hat trick tonight vs. Sarnia. Currently third in pts. for the OHL. Not bad for a rookie:handclap:

savard95

May 9, 2014
Montréal
He had a hat trick tonight vs. Sarnia. Currently third in pts. for the OHL. Not bad for a rookie:handclap:

McDavid, Strome and DeBrincat... All for Erie. Top 3 in scoring in the O... :help:

Also, even if McDavid won't be there next year, he'll still play with players like Strome (will most likely go back to the O next year). If he can produce next year, he's a second rounder maybe. Too soon to tell though because of McJesus.

couture23

Jun 23, 2012
Toronto
McDavid, Strome and DeBrincat... All for Erie. Top 3 in scoring in the O... :help:

Also, even if McDavid won't be there next year, he'll still play with players like Strome (will most likely go back to the O next year). If he can produce next year, he's a second rounder maybe. Too soon to tell though because of McJesus.

lol

I think you mean "when"

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Wasn't even drafted in the OHL which, while not taking anything anyway from how well he's played with McDavid, says something. Late '97 so I believe he was passed up in two consecutive drafts (despite a highly productive season with his high school team last year)?

Obviously you can still do well after being passed up in multiple OHL drafts, other players have done it, but he's got a hard road ahead. Even next year since he'll play with Strome it'll be tough to gauge him as player on his own. Right now he's incredibly tiny, and I'm not all that impressed with his skating. Still he must be doing things great.

I do want to know why no team drafted him in 2013 or 2014, and why no one else signed him. Plenty of impossible to sign players get drafted anyway? That must have been a good reason.

EON

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 31, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Wasn't even drafted in the OHL which, while not taking anything anyway from how well he's played with McDavid, says something. Late '97 so I believe he was passed up in two consecutive drafts (despite a highly productive season with his high school team last year)?

Obviously you can still do well after being passed up in multiple OHL drafts, other players have done it, but he's got a hard road ahead. Even next year since he'll play with Strome it'll be tough to gauge him as player on his own. Right now he's incredibly tiny, and I'm not all that impressed with his skating. Still he must be doing things great.

I do want to know why no team drafted him in 2013 or 2014, and why no one else signed him. Plenty of impossible to sign players get drafted anyway? That must have been a good reason.

his skating is pretty good. It doesn't look good when he's next to McDavid but he can move well. The best part of his game is his aggressiveness, even against players much bigger than him. Always attacking and looking to force turnovers, always trying to hit people. You are right it will be more difficult than some to gauge how good he really is but that's what scouts get paid for. We'll see how he progresses this season and next but he looks like a potential NHL talent to me, just hope he grows.

No idea why he didn't get drafted, it's shocking how a guy with this kind of skill falls through the cracks. Erie's GM Bassin saw him back in February scouting another Erie prospect and immediately approached him after the game, he got representation from Bobby Orr's agency and was afraid of him getting attention before Erie could officially sign him.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
his skating is pretty good. It doesn't look good when he's next to McDavid but he can move well. The best part of his game is his aggressiveness, even against players much bigger than him. Always attacking and looking to force turnovers, always trying to hit people. You are right it will be more difficult than some to gauge how good he really is but that's what scouts get paid for. We'll see how he progresses this season and next but he looks like a potential NHL talent to me, just hope he grows.

No idea why he didn't get drafted, it's shocking how a guy with this kind of skill falls through the cracks. Erie's GM Bassin saw him back in February scouting another Erie prospect and immediately approached him after the game, he got representation from Bobby Orr's agency and was afraid of him getting attention before Erie could officially sign him.

I don't think he's a bad skater, he's plenty good for the OHL. Pretty speedy, but there's a lot more to skating then speed. He's fast enough to keep up with McDavid, but I'm not impressed with his skating in other areas. His aggressiveness might mitigate the size issues in the OHL but in the pro game it'll be significantly harder.

Scouts must have seen him prior to Erie signing him. He had pretty impressive numbers, so it's highly unlikely he wasn't at least known. Erie took a chance on him and he's making the most of it, so good for him and good for them.

He's definitely showing he's a talent to be observed keenly by NHL scoting, but is he a Brad Richards to Lecavlier or a Christian Thomas to Tavares/Jordan Weal to Eberle? I think he's the latter. But he's got two years to prove me wrong. Seal this in a time capsule and look at it two years from now, but my best guess would say he'll be picked after the second round, I'll go with mid-third round 2016.

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Search didnt bring up anything on my phone...still like the kid and is off to an impressive start regardless of the talent around him..you cant be a scrub to be a 16 year old playing on a line with McDavid

Debrincat is an above average skater in all facets and he has good hockey sense. His hockey sense shows itself by good positioning without the puck anticipating what will happen and with possession he can set up his linemates as well passing to the man u may not think he is looking for. Mcdavid obviously helps but Debrincat can attack with possession showing good hands at speed and create chances for his linemates. He can one time the puck as well. He competes hard and is unselfish player. Good player for Erie.

Last edited:

Dhockey16

Jun 23, 2011
Erie, Pennsylvania
He's definitely benefiting from a good Erie team, but the more I watch him the more I see he's got some real talent. Hard to give a definitive judgment so early into the season though. My prediction is that he ends up a very good junior player and puts up high numbers his 18 and 19 year old seasons. I think he'll be drafted rounds 3-5 in 2016 (late 97'). Don't know that he's physically gifted enough to ever crack the NHL but I can see him doing very well in the AHL and then making his money in Europe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad