Ruutu nets 20th goal

Status
Not open for further replies.

db23

fullmetalninja said:
db23, with all due respect- I don't think you have seen many of his games if you believe that. :shakehead :teach:

-fullmetalninja

I'm not questioning his talent or value to the team, but I think he will be more of a hardnosed grinder type than a top scorer. His offensive production in Finland was somewhere south of what Saku Koivu and Olli Jokinen managed at the same age. Those two are point a game players tops, so I would think that Ruutu will fit in at around 60 points per season on average.

gib

Feb 3, 2004
db23 said:
His offensive production in Finland was somewhere south of what Saku Koivu and Olli Jokinen managed at the same age. Those two are point a game players tops, so I would think that Ruutu will fit in at around 60 points per season on average.

You can`t compare players like that. It`s just silly. Numbers that these three gyus have put in junior years don`t really tell nothing about that how they will succes in NHL. How Jokinen only managed to make 21 points in his first whole year in NHL, if he is that much better player than Ruutu is. How Saku only made 45 points in his first NHL year even he made 74 points in 45 games(1.6 points/hame) in SM-liiga year before. How is it bossible that Ruutu has 43 points this year, even he only had 27 points in 30 games last year in SM-liiga (0.9 points/game). :dunno:

Jokinen(18years) HIFK 50 14+27=41
(19) HIFK 30 11+28=39 and Kings 8 0+0=0
(20) Kings 66 9+12=21 and Falcons 9 3+6=9
(21) NYI 82 11+10=21
(22) FLO 78 6+10=16

Ruutu (17) HIFK 1 0+0=0
(18) Jokerit 47 11+11=22
(19) Jokerit 51 7+16=23
(20) HIFK 30 12+15=27
(21) CHI 80 22+21=43

Koivu(18) TPS 46 3+7=10
(19) TPS 47 23+30=53
(20) TPS 45 27+47=74
(21) MON 82 20+25=45
(22) MON 50 17+39=56

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
db23 said:
I'm not questioning his talent or value to the team, but I think he will be more of a hardnosed grinder type than a top scorer. His offensive production in Finland was somewhere south of what Saku Koivu and Olli Jokinen managed at the same age. Those two are point a game players tops, so I would think that Ruutu will fit in at around 60 points per season on average.

As usual, you put too much weight in statistical patterns. They suggest Jokinen should not be a better goalscorer than Koivu. Yet he is for the last two seasons (and likely for the rest of his career).

That being said, I actually almost agree with you on the end result. I don't think Ruutu with be more than a 60-something player on most years. I could see him reach 70+ in a career year or two.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
another one today, up to 23. :handclap:

he now has all 4 of our last 4 goals

kruezer

Apr 21, 2002
North Bay
Vlad The Impaler said:
As usual, you put too much weight in statistical patterns. They suggest Jokinen should not be a better goalscorer than Koivu. Yet he is for the last two seasons (and likely for the rest of his career).

That being said, I actually almost agree with you on the end result. I don't think Ruutu with be more than a 60-something player on most years. I could see him reach 70+ in a career year or two.

I don't know, I think he'll be a 90 point + kind of guy, but he is in Chicago, maybe I shouldn't get so excited :banghead:

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
He has out goaled Rick Nash Since the Turn of the new year.

Just look at it that way and tell me he's a glorified Grinder.

On Dec 26, Rick nash had 22 goals, Tuomo Ruutu 2.

Nash now has 41 goals(19), Ruutu has 23(21).

Kovalchuk?

On Dec 26, he had 21, again 19 goals.

Can Ruutu do that over an 82 game time span? I don't know. Nobody does.

But to put in perspective, what kind of 2nd half this kid has had, just think about that stat....

Stat's will never tell the whole picture on Ruutu... But this kid has got the goods.

-fullmetalninja

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
fullmetalninja said:

Kovalchuk?

But to put in perspective, what kind of 2nd half this kid has had, just think about that stat....

Stat's will never tell the whole picture on Ruutu... But this kid has got the goods.

-fullmetalninja

awww... you stole it before i could :p

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
fullmetalninja said:

I'm 100% sure that he can't, but that's just me.

Doesn't matter anyway, the reason I like Ruutu is not really the offense, although it's always nice.

Ensane

EL GUAPO
Mar 2, 2002
fullmetalninja said:

Kovalchuk?

-fullmetalninja
Anyone know if Ruutu has the most goals since the new year? That'd be freaking amazing.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
The same guy on the hawks site that researched that stat(as Teemu said, I lifted it quickly) stated that Iginla and Elias both have insane totals since that time. I think 28/29 or something like that.

I'm just trying to put it in perspective what this kid has done, not for the last month, but since christmas.

Vlad- I don't think he will score goals at the pace he is right now, over a whole season. But I do think- if he plays with two NHL calibre wingers(like Daze and Arnie, or someone they bring in next year) he can be up consistantly around a point per game.

His best asset is his vision, and his passing ability. He really is a good set up guy. He reads the play very well, and obviously isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas. He also has a huge shot, but the accuracy is not to good.

We're just hoping for that Ping Pong ball....

-fullmetalninja

iamcaper

I have to agree with Vlad on the point production question. I do think he could put up more than 60 points per season but I also think he will be counted on for more leadership and will be called upon in more defensive situations than either Nash or Kovalchuk. Nash and Kovalchuk, in my opinion, are your prototypical offensive players and that's their role on their respective teams. However, because Ruutu is stronger defensively, he'll be given some responsibility in that area which means taking ice time away from him offensively unless they want to ice him for 30 minutes a game.

Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad