Confirmed with Link: Rutherford signs 3 year extension

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I could go either way on this. Seems like we're likely to lose Botterill by then, but I'm not sure "grooming" GMs or coaches is all it's cracked up to be. It also doesn't exclude us from putting Rutherford into a higher spot like team president in a few years and then giving Botterill the GM job.

And if we lose Botterill and Rutherford stays on as GM for the next 4 years there will certainly be other good GM candidates available at that point, I'm sure.

I wouldn't be shocked that a 3 year deal for JR probably came with a pretty hefty raise for Botterill. If Pittsburgh wants to keep Botterill, they can. It's just how much they want to pay, and how much longer Botterill is willing to sit in the shadows.

I don't quite understand the jobs of all the front office members, but one would have to believe Botterill has some swing in the front office now. Guerin having the position he has in the organization kind of scares me, honestly. If rumors are true and his first trade was the Despres one, that was bad. I don't see "general manager" in Bill Guerin.

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Guys, Botterill is 40. I'm going to bet that is younger than the average age for GM's and younger than when most get their first job.

If he expects a job by now then he is going to be disappointed

jolly roger

Aug 4, 2013
Guys, Botterill is 40. I'm going to bet that is younger than the average age for GM's and younger than when most get their first job.

If he expects a job by now then he is going to be disappointed

The GM in Arizona is 28!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
Botterill is also a pretty highly regarded GM in waiting around the league. I'd be surprised if he's not in the running for GM of Las Vegas.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
If I'm Botterill, I just wait for Pittsburgh. I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he will get that job. He has a young family, he is probably one of the highest paid assistant GM's in the league, he has 2 Cup rings and legitimate potential for a couple more here.

He'd be stupid to leave unless he gets a feeling the job won't be his after JR retires.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If I'm Botterill, I just wait for Pittsburgh. I think it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he will get that job. He has a young family, he is probably one of the highest paid assistant GM's in the league, he has 2 Cup rings and legitimate potential for a couple more here.

He'd be stupid to leave unless he gets a feeling the job won't be his after JR retires.

I agree but it's tough to know everyone's personal motives. The LV GM job could either be really attractive or unattractive depending on your personality and goals. Lots of publicity but likely lots of pressure to build a competitive team off the bat.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
That's a terrible and disingenuous argument. What he did last season is over. His overall legacy will be judged on what he's done cumulatively, but evaluating an extension or what I expect from him going forward categorically excludes anything he's done in the past. Not moving Fleury was a bad decision. Not moving Kunitz was a slightly less bad decision. That is not a good start to the offseason in my book. Feel free to disagree if you'd like, but get out of here with that "short memory" nonsense.

Read the below carefully.

People think everything is like an EA sports game or FHM where you can just wheel and deal with a ****ing computer (IE Kunitz/Fleury/Fehr).

Pens board logic: (I've heard more than one person throw each of these out there like it was basic math logic)

"Well we could dump Kunitz for some picks and then sign Boedker (a better LW)"

"Fleury had to be dealt at the draft. Calgary offered, we blew our chance to keep Murray now"

"Let's maximize Bonino's value and break up the most potent line in hockey the last month of the season and postseason."

"We're not doing anything on day 1 of FA. This team and JR are getting complacent and think they have **** figured out. Need to get better".......you know, majorly shake up a Cup winning roster that returns largely intact logic!

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Read the below carefully.

No thanks, that post is condescending garbage that isn't relevant to anything I've said.

The situation with Fleury was binary. He had to be moved. I wouldn't have criticized JR for accepting an offer below how I'd personally value Fleury because I understand that JR did not have enough leverage to demand full value for him. Whether JR could have gotten two seconds, a second and a third, a second and a prospect, etc, is irrelevant. I've outlined numerous reasons why Fleury had to be moved and he wasn't. That is a mistake and it is not unreasonable whatsoever to say as much.

EvGeno

Looks like a basketball player!
Jul 11, 2009
Phoenix via Pgh
I remember seeing a TV interview with Botterill, I think this past season, where he looked very uncomfortable. So maybe he LIKES being behind the scenes while JR is the face.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You're upset about a GM that's completely turned this team around, winning GM of the year and a Stanely Cup team, resigning?

Makes sense...

No ****. I doubt he's GM all 3 years, but I have zero issues with him sticking around a little longer.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I remember seeing a TV interview with Botterill, I think this past season, where he looked very uncomfortable. So maybe he LIKES being behind the scenes while JR is the face.

I've noticed that too with Botterill. I sympathize, because if you put cameras and lights on me I'd be completely flustered.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Take a quick peek at all the ahl guys he extended before the cup run and figure what kind of pickle we'd be in had we had to pay all those roleplayers market value right now

They'd be getting at most another 100k or two. It would make a difference, but not a noticeable one.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
No thanks, that post is condescending garbage that isn't relevant to anything I've said.

The situation with Fleury was binary. He had to be moved. I wouldn't have criticized JR for accepting an offer below how I'd personally value Fleury because I understand that JR did not have enough leverage to demand full value for him. Whether JR could have gotten two seconds, a second and a third, a second and a prospect, etc, is irrelevant. I've outlined numerous reasons why Fleury had to be moved and he wasn't. That is a mistake and it is not unreasonable whatsoever to say as much.

we've got most of a year to see if he had to be moved or not.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express

(mod)

People who think Fleury HAD to be moved without having the first clue as to how to run a team or what goes on behind closed doors by professionals deserves to have condescending garbage hurled towards them. It's one thing to have opinions. It's another to speak in absolutes when you have no experiences to justify speaking in said absolutes.

JR didn't have to do anything. There is no clause that said Fleury had to be moved at the draft. There is no stipulation that Fleury will now be given a 5 year extension and Murray shot off into the sun for scraps. You have zero clue as to what has been discussed regarding the Fleury situation. For all we know he could have agreed to waive his NMC when the time comes. There are many possibilities that you think don't exist and that is asinine when any person with a semblance of common sense knows the world is fluid and not black and white.

And FTR, this board has many people who have said one (or more) of those things above on this forum. Those are facts. (mod)

Last edited by a moderator:

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i am a former nhl gm so please don't question my experience

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
I knew it. Fordy I take back every bad thing I ever said about you.

Everything from that one thing to that other thing. I feel so low, having insulted a former GM.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
(mod)

People who think Fleury HAD to be moved without having the first clue as to how to run a team or what goes on behind closed doors by professionals deserves to have condescending garbage hurled towards them. It's one thing to have opinions. It's another to speak in absolutes when you have no experiences to justify speaking in said absolutes.

JR didn't have to do anything. There is no clause that said Fleury had to be moved at the draft. There is no stipulation that Fleury will now be given a 5 year extension and Murray shot off into the sun for scraps. You have zero clue as to what has been discussed regarding the Fleury situation. For all we know he could have agreed to waive his NMC when the time comes. There are many possibilities that you think don't exist and that is asinine when any person with a semblance of common sense knows the world is fluid and not black and white.

And FTR, this board has many people who have said one (or more) of those things above on this forum. Those are facts. (mod)

You're welcome to disagree with me, but you're fundamentally basing your argument on a lot of presumptions about what I do or do not know when you have no idea who I am or what my background is. Ad hominem is a very tenuous foundation for an argument, particularly when you seem oblivious to the fact that you're speaking in absolutes whilst railing against others for speaking in absolutes. What a mess.

In a more general sense, I really hate arguments along the lines of "you don't know every detail about what happened during trade discussions so you have to take a neutral position". If you were to strictly and consistently apply that argument, there would be nothing to discuss in the offseason. Once again, I do not need to know every single detail about JR's discussions with other teams to feel adamant that not moving Fleury was a mistake. Saying "he should have traded Fleury and received a first and a great prospect" is asinine because there is no way of knowing if a package of that nature was offered. Saying "he should have traded Fleury because keeping him around is a misallocation of resources, muddles the goalie depth chart, risks stunting Murray's development and risks the future necessity of a buyout" is a well supported position and not at all like the first example. You don't seem to be able to differentiate between the two, which is a much bigger obstacle to a coherent understanding of the situation than lacking a few details about what have been on the table in trade talks.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
i wouldn't be right about everything all the time if i didn't have insider knowledge

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad