News Article: Rutherford and Johnston are staying. Both of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Oh, and to emphasize this again, too: Rutherford and Johnston are staying. Both of them.

I reported that in the Friday Insider, having heard it from the very top. I can report right here that I also was told that after this game, by David Morehouse, the team’s CEO and president. In emphatic terms.

The Penguins’ brass sees this season as one that was lost to injury and, even if adding up all the other deficiencies cited above, it’s absolutely true.

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/04/25/column-these-penguins-could-still-fly-with-wings/

These ***** are really trying to push me to another team.

This season was lost to incompetence, you boobs.

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Of course they are. This is the Penguins organization we're talking about. You know better RRP.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Disappointing, but one other thing from that article caught my eye, and that is that Kunitz/Scuderi might be bought out.

That would be a huge positive for us.

These goofs still think Lovejoys are the solution and not the problem. Getting rid of Scuderi and Kunitz would be great if I thought this organization had their priorities straight and could replace them with effective players.

BigBenSF*

http://dkonpittsburghsports.com/2015/04/25/column-these-penguins-could-still-fly-with-wings/

These ***** are really trying to push me to another team.

This season was lost to incompetence, you boobs.

Or significant injuries to three of the team's top four defenseman. And a nagging injury that compromised the talents of one of its stars.

Really, the Pens have been incredibly unlucky with injuries. Call it luck, or being injury prone, but it's been more than most:

A Rutherford dismissal would have been an option, but would it even matter? Odds are, he would be replaced by Guerin, and he would take the team in the wrong direction by focusing too much on "grit" and "intangibles".

Darth Vitale

Dark Matter
Aug 21, 2003
Darkness
Disappointing, but one other thing from that article caught my eye, and that is that Kunitz/Scuderi might be bought out.

That would be a huge positive for us.

Once again... is this the compliance buyout thing people keep bringing back from the dead? That option is gone and if it's DK brining it up in that context... wtf. Know your job.

It was only available the summer after the new CBA. I don't think teams can buy players out at this point. They can trade them -- that's about it. And I'd happily take a couple draft picks for them. A 3rd and a 5th you say? Done.

Someone please correct me if there's some other type of mysterious buyout option for teams in this CBA.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
These goofs still think Lovejoys are the solution and not the problem. Getting rid of Scuderi and Kunitz would be great if I thought this organization had their priorities straight and could replace them with effective players.

Kovacevic's rationalizations of the comical play from that buffoon . . . :help:

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
Also from the article.

I happen to think the ledger came out mostly in favor of Jim Rutherford, though I’m increasingly willing to accept that more should have been culled for Simon Despres — regardless of what one thinks of Despres — than Lovejoy.

Ya think? LOL.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Once again... is this the compliance buyout thing people keep bringing back from the dead? That option is gone. I was only available the summer after the new CBA. I don't think teams can buy players out at this point. They can trade them -- that's about it. And I'd happily take a couple draft picks for them. A third and a 5th you say? Done.

No, you can still buyout players I think, but it's just with harsher penalties than the compliance buyouts brought. Now when you buyout Scuderi and/or Kunitz, it will bring cap penalties. Still better than having them on the roster, though.

True, we'd have to see how they replaced them. Dejan hinted at a push towards youth with guys like Ehrhoff/Martin being let go and guys like Kapanen/Dumo being given a chance.

I'll believe it when I see it since we were promised the same thing this past season and they still stuck with vets.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Once again... is this the compliance buyout thing people keep bringing back from the dead? That option is gone. I was only available the summer after the new CBA. I don't think teams can buy players out at this point. They can trade them -- that's about it. And I'd happily take a couple draft picks for them. A third and a 5th you say? Done.

Teams can buy out players, the traditional way.

I believe under 26, it's 1/3 of the contract value spread over twice the remaining years of the deal.

Over 26 is 2/3.

If it comes to it, I'd rather take 2.4M in dead cap space for the next 4 years to be rid of Kunitz and Scuderi than pay them about 7.2M for the next 2 years to stay.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Or significant injuries to three of the team's top four defenseman. And a nagging injury that compromised the talents of one of its stars.

Or ****** trades and signings that left the Pens in worse shape than they came into the season.

A Rutherford dismissal would have been an option, but would it even matter? Odds are, he would be replaced by Guerin, and he would take the team in the wrong direction by focusing too much on "grit" and "intangibles".

God forbid they look somewhere else.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
For what it's worth, I'm a Flyers fan who was pulling for you guys. I was really annoyed because each game was a one goal game and y'all were missing over half of your Defense. From my perspective, y'all played great considering the circumstances - playing against the #1 team and without defense. Heck, 2 games went to OT. I don't know what the off season will bring, but I think you can be proud of how your team acquitted itself against this Rangers team.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Also from the article.

Ya think? LOL.

Haha....even if we got Lovejoy for free, that proved to be a complete dumpster fire of acquisition. Showing the incompetence of the pro scouts and front office that thought he would a valuable piece for the playoffs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
What would be the point of firing them after one season? What did we really expect?

Words of the organization vs. actions. To steal a little from Rossi article.

Say Shero screwed up, keep most of his staff.
Say we need to get young and play players like Despres, trade Despres and get old.
Say we need culture change, bring in similar inexperienced nhl coach.

Now for your question....

Say we brought in JR. to win the cup, lose first round and also lose badly to end up in eighth in the first place
Say we need nine gms to figure out cap, screw up and have cap issues at end of year.

Somewhere actions and words need to match. If they felt jr could really get this team a cup and made trades such as Despres for lovejoy.....then shouldn't he be fired as he failed? Words need to match actions.

td_ice

Peter shows the way
Aug 13, 2005
USA
Words of the organization vs. actions. To steal a little from Rossi article.

Say Shero screwed up, keep most of his staff.
Say we need to get young and play players like Despres, trade Despres and get old.
Say we need culture change, bring in similar inexperienced nhl coach.

Now for your question....

Say we brought in JR. to win the cup, lose first round and also lose badly to end up in eighth in the first place
Say we need nine gms to figure out cap, screw up and have cap issues at end of year.

Somewhere actions and words need to match. If they felt jr could really get this team a cup and made trades such as Despres for lovejoy.....then shouldn't he be fired as he failed? Words need to match actions.

Hey, once you say goodnight and leave, you just can't jump back into the fray.

;)

BigBenSF*

Or ****** trades and signings that left the Pens in worse shape than they came into the season.

That's absurd. Perron is better than nothing. Winnik is better than nothing. The difference in current quality between Cole and Bortuzzo is comparable to the difference between Despres and Lovejoy.

I hated the Despres trade when it happened and I still don't like it. But other than that, it's hard to find a firing-worthy trade or signing that Rutherford made.

God forbid they look somewhere else.

Realistically, they wouldn't. They already have a huge management team, why wouldn't they hire from within? It's not likely, so hoping that Rutherford would be fired on the off chance that they hire somewhere else is a waste of time.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Keep the core 4, and then scorched earth policy for the entire organization. Burn it down. Of course that isn't going to happen, and I wouldn't really trust Mario and Burkle to make better choices anyway.

Sad but true. Almost makes me want to quit wasting time with this team.

What would be the point of firing them after one season? What did we really expect?

Not to get even older despite Lemieux and Burkle's stated mandate, lose in 5 games in the 1st round, and trade one of the org's best young defenseman for a bottom pair guy with experience.

Also from the article.

Ya think? LOL.

Yeah DK. Or they could have, you know, not traded him at all. Would have done wonders for our speed. And size. And physical play. And enthusiasm. And transition. All that useless stuff.

True, we'd have to see how they replaced them. Dejan hinted at a push towards youth with guys like Ehrhoff/Martin being let go and guys like Kapanen/Dumo being given a chance.

I'll believe it when I see it since we were promised the same thing this past season and they still stuck with vets.

Yeah, their words mean less than nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese