Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Yeah, I'm pretty excited about Lambert's potential too. A steal where we got him.

We could be looking at graduating multiple rookies for the 25-26 season. TNSE hasn't liked doing that in the past. We have 4 potential UFA F the preceding season. Doesn't mean none of them will be extended before then but we have McGroarty, Lambert, Chibrikov, Lucius (if healthy) and possibly Barlow who will all have 2-3-4 years post draft development behind them.

Not many. Why do you ask?
"Not many", lol. Wildly baseless things to post when you have little to no viewings. of any of the players.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
How many games are there in an NCAA season? Just wondering how it compares to AHL and whether one option is better than the other from a development standpoint.

jetsfan15

Jul 17, 2016
I wonder what our game plan is in a year or two. One would think that the vision involves Lambert and McGroarty potentially being top-6 option at some point. I don’t think we will be keeping Toffoli, which opens the door for Perfetti in the top 6. I guess there’s Ehlers and Connor contracts expiring fairly soon too — not sure if both end up staying.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Jets have had Schiefele, Ehlers, Trouba, Copp and Laine bypass the AHL entirely. Helle spent a half a season there. Connor played 56 games.

The org has no problem integrating young talent when they're ready and there's a spot for them on the team

When you look at these guys vs the Nikus, Petans and Chisholms of the world you can see the chasm of talent and pedigree between young players who are destined for meaningful and impactful NHL careers and those who are just interchangeable parts
Helle played 2 seasons in the AHL.

Ville is our most NHL ready prospect.

I could see Ville full time and Lambert seeing games next season and Salomonsson and Barlow as full time rookies out of camp the next year
You think Barlow will make the team out of junior?

Reactions: hockeyarena

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
Hmmm... let's assume money is not a factor...

Would any of us not take an extra year of University? Where you're the captain, you're travel is super easy, play for sold out 7000 crowd and you have one more year around your friends... or move to Manitoba and fly all over North America, play for a half full arena 7000 crowd...

I could be wrong but NCAA playoffs ends sooner than AHL... and I dont see anyone talking about getting Lambert a game in the bigs right now.

Like anyone on this board would go back in time and tell their past self to take another year of uni life haha
Not a chance in hell.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
2 years NCAA vs 1 year AHL. Plus I think Rutger is a more well rounded player. Lambert made great progress this year but has more holes in his game, more development required. On pure physical talent Lambert is probably ahead, certainly in skating. But great skating by itself doesn't necessarily suggest NHL readiness. And 14 picks later in the 1st rd of the same draft is huge (and it was 16).

Don't put too much weight on it but compare their WJC records. Rutger captained the gold medal winning team in his last year of eligibility. Lambert contributed nothing to a team that finished out of the medals. Small sample tournament and there were internal things going on with the Finnish team, but it is what it is.
I agree. Except for whatever you guys are going on about draft position. That means absolutely nothing at this point.

And how many games have any of us seen mcgro play haha? Meanwhile lambert is actually playing centre and succeeding in the A... reminds me of anointing perfetti our 2c before he had played any games at C

Wjc means exactly nothing to nhl careers... we all know that
That’s only if we eliminate all the information we have outside of the WJC.

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
Monahan's agents have reached out to Chevy about an extension.

In MTL?

I think Monahan has fit in like a 2018 Stats -- but everything I've read suggests he's looking to head back Habwards. I'd be happy with a one-year deal if he still wants to be part of the rebuild there as it hits its full stride, but not sure I expect him to wait that long.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
I'm guessing your not getting geared up for the playoffs? :laugh:
My love of numbers and statistics is about the least compatible thing with the playoffs. :D

As for the literal sense, I lost my favourite white hoodie a couple of weeks ago, so I won't be able to participate in the whiteout either.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
In MTL?
but everything I've read suggests he's looking to head back Habwards.
What have you read that suggest that? Only thing I read is on HF Habs fans claiming he will be back next seasons as a UFA, but those were the same Hab fans that were absolutely sure Dubois was coming their way for a second round picl

Reactions: buggs and KingBogo

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Helle played 2 seasons in the AHL.

Ville is our most NHL ready prospect.

You think Barlow will make the team out of junior?
Oops, I meant Mcgroarty (not Barlow).

Helle spent a year and a half in the AHL. Like I said, 58 games. He started his second pro seasons in the AHL but was called up and never looked back

I realize that Ville is our most NHL ready prospect but there's just no spot for him right now

Reactions: Upperdeckjet

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
In MTL?

I think Monahan has fit in like a 2018 Stats -- but everything I've read suggests he's looking to head back Habwards. I'd be happy with a one-year deal if he still wants to be part of the rebuild there as it hits its full stride, but not sure I expect him to wait that long.
Why would a player want to go back to a loser team if a competing team offers him the same money? It’s not like it’s a media thing where he has privacy like anywhere in the states.

Reactions: hn777 and KingBogo

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Why would a player want to go back to a loser team if a competing team offers him the same money? It’s not like it’s a media thing where he has privacy like anywhere in the states.
He might like the city and he may have developed friendships on the team?

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
He might like the city and he may have developed friendships on the team?
I doubt if friendships comes before winning for most of these guys. They have been instilled that it’s win or be loser for most of their lives. If it was love and his wife loved it in mtl or he loved a woman in mtl I can buy love not friendship.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Oops, I meant Mcgroarty (not Barlow).

Helle spent a year and a half in the AHL. Like I said, 58 games. He started his second pro seasons in the AHL but was called up and never looked back

I realize that Ville is our most NHL ready prospect but there's just no spot for him right now
Yup, 58 games with the Ice Caps and 30 with the Moose...a year and a half.
I think Ville makes the team next year if he isn't traded.

ello

Jun 12, 2018
With Truscott returning McGroarty's not even going to be captain soooo so much for that narrative lol

Clearly this boils down to a limited chance at NHL time next year/lack of desire to play in the AHL + the potential unfortunate reality that he probably wants to keep the UFA option alive while he spends more time weighing his options

Obviously getting way ahead of myself here, but do we get full value in a trade for McGroarty assuming he lets our front office know internally that he plans on walking? Gauthier netted Drysdale but he was also a year further away from UFA when traded for

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
With Truscott returning McGroarty's not even going to be captain soooo so much for that narrative lol

Clearly this boils down to a limited chance at NHL time next year/lack of desire to play in the AHL + the potential unfortunate reality that he probably wants to keep the UFA option alive while he spends more time weighing his options

Obviously getting way ahead of myself here, but do we get full value in a trade for McGroarty assuming he lets our front office know internally that he plans on walking? Gauthier netted Drysdale but he was also a year further away from UFA when traded for
We don't. Adam Fox would likely be the best comparable in that scenario, since that "extra" year carries a f***ton of weight when you're on the clock with the trade request.

But if I put my pessimism aside and assume that Rut is simply using his leverage to avoid going to the AHL (a wise choice), this isn't a problem. Further, I don't believe for a second that Chevy lets this become a problem either. However, the way you could f*** this up is as follows:

- keep running two offensive lines, continue to feed the Lowry line whatever minutes they want, forget about the fourth altogether
- re-sign enough of the top wingers to block Rut out of a meaningful role in the top 6
- that's it, basically

I would like to maintain that it would take quite a feat to make your top prospect leave via UFA due to him not seeing a worthy opportunity on the roster. Su-re-ly we aren't going to pull that off, right?

WolfHouse

Oct 4, 2020
We don't. Adam Fox would likely be the best comparable in that scenario, since that "extra" year carries a f***ton of weight when you're on the clock with the trade request.

But if I put my pessimism aside and assume that Rut is simply using his leverage to avoid going to the AHL (a wise choice), this isn't a problem. Further, I don't believe for a second that Chevy lets this become a problem either. However, the way you could f*** this up is as follows:

- keep running two offensive lines, continue to feed the Lowry line whatever minutes they want, forget about the fourth altogether
- re-sign enough of the top wingers to block Rut out of a meaningful role in the top 6
- that's it, basically

I would like to maintain that it would take quite a feat to make your top prospect leave via UFA due to him not seeing a worthy opportunity on the roster. Su-re-ly we aren't going to pull that off, right?
So if we have a deep playoff run you wouldn't resign monahan? Ehlers? Vilardi?

JetsUK

Oct 1, 2015
What have you read that suggest that? Only thing I read is on HF Habs fans claiming he will be back next seasons as a UFA, but those were the same Hab fans that were absolutely sure Dubois was coming their way for a second round picl

Friedman mentioned it back in late Jan/ early Feb, and a few others have suggested that he had good relationships there with teammates and management and had expressed his interest in the Habs rebuild and a possible return to be part of it.

Not definite, but also has been out there for a while now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad