Prospect Info: Rutger McGroarty, 2022 NHL Draft, #14 Overall

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
The more I read about this guy, the more I like him.
Apparently skating is an issue, but not a huge one. Checks pretty much every other box except growing up in Wpg. :laugh: - or Minnesota.
Glad to see others coming around on him. He was a favourite of mine for quite some time, barring a top 5 - 10 ranked prospect falling.

I’d take him 10 times out of 10 over Geekie and won’t be surprised if he’s viewed as one of the top 10 in a redraft years from now.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
The more I read about this guy, the more I like him.
Apparently skating is an issue, but not a huge one. Checks pretty much every other box except growing up in Wpg. :laugh: - or Minnesota.

I have to admit I studied less on these guys this year and I had to scramble a bit to get up to speed on “McGoat” but the more I dug the more I dig.

I like that he’s more than just a goal scorer.

I like how he scores goals in a blended way from both the dirty area work (greasy goals) and with his good shot.

I like his leadership

I love that he is hard to play against

I like his hockey IQ and his compete in all three zones.

I also love that he knows he needs to work on the skating so he’s working with one of the best in Barb Underhill.

I really liked the scouting reviews on him in the Black Book.

Also a small market, happy to be there type. Enough with the Diva!s FFS

Last edited:

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
I have to admit I studied less on these guys this year and I had to scramble a bit to get up to speed on “McGoat” but the more I dug the more I dig.

I like that he’s more than just a goal scorer.

I like how he scores goals blended forth area play with good shot.

I like his leadership

I love that he is hard to play against

I like his hockey IQ and his compete in all three zones.

I also love that he knows he needs to work on the skating so he’s working with one of the best in Barb Underhill.

I really liked the scouting reviews on him in the Black Book.

Also a small market, happy to be there type. Enough with the Diva!s FFS

I love the fact that Nebraska doesn't have an NHL franchise for him to bolt to.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Guess who the all time leader for NHL points of players born in Nebraska is?

Screenshot_20220721-211332_Chrome.jpg

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I love the fact that Nebraska doesn't have an NHL franchise for him to bolt to.
Careful. Omaha is bigger than Winnipeg, they have a bigger arena and... this is the big one... they have white outs.

400px-Creighton_Bluejays_men%27s_basketball_playing_%28Qwest_Center%2C_Omaha%2C_2007%29.jpg

Could be an attractive relocation target for Chipman if the crowds keep dwindling and MM keeps hassling them for not drafting Western Canadians. :nod:

Ggg99

Sep 17, 2018
I think Rutger McGroarty's skill is VASTLY understated in this thread. Yes, he plays a *heavy* game, but he's demonstrated from a very young age that he's always been amongst the BEST 2004 born kids in the world. This is no fluke or one year wonder.

In 2013, when he was 10 years old, he played at the famous Brick Invitational Hockey Tournament in Edmonton. He lead the tournament with 9 goals in six games. Is that good? Well, other high draft picks played in the same tournament:

McGroarty - 9 goals
Savoie - 3 goals
Goyette - 3 goals
Shane Wright - 2 goals
Isaac Howard - 2 goals
Hutson - 2 goals
Korchinski - 2 goals
Cutter Gauthier - 1 goal
Owen Pickering - 1 goal
Mateychuk - 0 goals
Geekie - 0 goals

Again, he was regarded as the best 2004 born player in the US. In 2017 as a 13 year old, he played in the toughest AAA circuit (Michigan / Honeybaked). These were his results vs other top propects that same season:

Rutger McGroarty - 17GP - 40G, 7A - 47npts
Lane Hutson - 15 GP - 12G, 9A - 21 pts
Cutter Gauthier - 17GP - 6G - 11A - 17 pts
Seamus Casey - 16GP - 7G - 8A - 15 pts
Frank Nazar - 17GP - 4G - 7A - 11 pts

That Spring, (now 14 years old) he played in (and led in scoring) the Draft Day Selects Elite Tournament:

McGroarty - 17pts
Ostlund - 11 pts
Gauthier - 10 pts
Slafkovsky - 7 pts
Hutson - 7 pts
Mateychuk - 5 pts

The following fall AAA season (14 years old, turning 15 in the new year):

Cole Spicer - 51G - 118A - 169 pts
Rutger McGroarty - 82G - 78A - 160 pts
David Goyette - 49G - 104A - 153 pts
Frank Nazar - 49G - 78A - 127 pts

**HE LED THE LEAGUE IN GOALS BY 31 - THAT'S NUTS **

When the winter season was over, he once again played in the Elite Draft Day Spring tournament against his peers from around the world. Just like The Brick Tournament and Elite Draft Day Selects, he ONCE AGAIN led the entire tournament in scoring:

McGroarty - 19 pts
Hutson - 16 pts
Casey - 15 pts
Howard - 13 pts
Dumais - 10 pts
Snuggerud - 9 pts
Goyette - 8 pts
Cooley - 7 pts
Gauthier - 7 pts
Ostlund - 6 pts
Nazar - 5 pts
Owen Beck - 4 pts
Spicer - 4 pts
Minten - 3 pts

Fast forward to his draft year, and McGroarty leads the USNDTP in goals (35G) which is more than Cooley / Nazar / Howard + is 3rd in pts per games/played (nearly identical to Nazar and just slightly below Cooley / Howard).

His last major international tournament prior to draft was the U18s where he was 2nd in goals:

Jiri Kulich: 9G
McGroarty: 8G
Howard: 6G
Kemell: 6G
Bedard: 6G
Lekkerimaki: 5G
Ostlund: 4G
Cooley: 3G
Ohgren: 3G
Nazar: 3G
Gauthier: 3G

If it's not evident already, Rutger McGroarty has been amongst the tops for 2004 born kids for a LONG time. He didn't have a *fluke* season. This isn't Andrew Copp or Adam Lowry. He's been a top 3 scorer in virtually every league and tournament he's played in. Don't let the *power forward* moniker confuse you. He's a HIGH skill player that just happens to also be physical. A bit of a unicorn. Had he played CHL hockey this year, I have no doubt he would have produced a nearly the same rate as Shane Wright and / or Matt Savoie. He's been putting up insane numbers his entire life.
A post jammed with facts. One of the best I’ve read. Feel like I understand the Rutger hype now. Nicely done.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I don't know how anyone can look at Scheifele's career here and not call that pick a massive success, regardless of your opinion of him this season.
So true, especially with the angst after the pick and the we should have picked Couturier.

Even though Mark has struggled the past couple of seasons, he's still given us a lot of entertainment and production, and was key in us making the WCF a few years back.

I am just praying that some roster changes and a new coaching staff brings ol Brighteyes back to life!

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
So true, especially with the angst after the pick and the we should have picked Couturier.

Even though Mark has struggled the past couple of seasons, he's still given us a lot of entertainment and production, and was key in us making the WCF a few years back.

I am just praying that some roster changes and a new coaching staff brings ol Brighteyes back to life!
That would be a huge boost to the team! Crossing my fingers.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and Jet

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Southern Manitoba's climate is predicted to be a lot like Nebraska's within a few decades. Rutger will feel like he's never left home

Brilliant retention strategy by TNSE!.
Actually you're off by a few states. IPCC's RCP8.5 scenario has us like St. Paul, MN.

Reactions: ps241

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Thechozen1

Sep 8, 2021
Looks like he got cut for the WJC coming up in August. Hopefully he made a good impression for the 2023 team - at least we still have Lambert to watch

Aside from Cooley, Nazar and Dominic James (Chi 6th rounder) no other highly touted American from this past draft made the team.

No Gauthier, McGroarty, Snuggerud, Howard, Chesley, Casey, Hutson.

As said above, I hope they lose and don’t get a medal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad