Michael Russo: Russo leaves Star Tribune; to join The Athletic

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
The Athletic published an article with their main NHL writers (LeBrun, Custance, Dellow, Bourne, etc) picking their Stanley Cup champions, awards, and other predictions about the season. A solid 75% of the comments section is people clamoring for Russo :laugh:

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Did an army just go and comment or something? The comments seem a bit disingenuous. People are saying they subscribed to see stuff like predictions from Russo? That seems highly unlikely. They subscribe for the team coverage.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
Did an army just go and comment or something? The comments seem a bit disingenuous. People are saying they subscribed to see stuff like predictions from Russo? That seems highly unlikely. They subscribe for the team coverage.

They did get a pretty ridiculous bump in subscribers from basically just getting Russo on board. They got like 10,000 subscribers from MN in the two weeks following Russo's announcement. Pretty impressive given the Vikings, Twins and Timberwolves coverage is basically still non-existent.

123TripleDoge

Nov 24, 2014
I like how there's still no way to remove the scores from your main feed on the app. For people DVR'ing the game, it makes the app unusable once the puck drops. Why is nobody else annoyed by this? Do I have to unfollow the team on game days so i can read articles without getting the Wild game spoiled?

Goose312

May 15, 2015
The Athletic published an article with their main NHL writers (LeBrun, Custance, Dellow, Bourne, etc) picking their Stanley Cup champions, awards, and other predictions about the season. A solid 75% of the comments section is people clamoring for Russo :laugh:

OMG checked it out of curiousity, had to stop like 5 times so I didn't just bust out laughing hysterically at work.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I like how there's still no way to remove the scores from your main feed on the app. For people DVR'ing the game, it makes the app unusable once the puck drops. Why is nobody else annoyed by this? Do I have to unfollow the team on game days so i can read articles without getting the Wild game spoiled?
Yeah, like tgf said I think the number of people who DVR the game, and watch it in full later, without knowing the result, is pretty small.

If I can't watch a game, I just follow along live on Twitter or other apps, and watch highlights, so it doesn't really effect me.

Although I do find it odd that their app has scores when the site doesn't.

dBoon

Sep 28, 2004
One thing I have noticed; since Russo left, there is almost never a link to a hockey story on the S-Trib home page. You have to dig into sports, even the morning after a game.

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere
One thing I have noticed; since Russo left, there is almost never a link to a hockey story on the S-Trib home page. You have to dig into sports, even the morning after a game.

Noticed that too. Not sure they are getting the same type of coverage they got before with Russo. Or if they are just gun shy with the new guy.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I hope you like your beat writers of the milquetoast variety, because that's all that Sarah McLellan is.
Well, as long as Russo is still in Minnesota, she will be similar to Mizutani (sp?) at the Pioneer Press when it comes to Wild coverage in this state, a distant afterthought.

I give her credit though, it's gotta be a little intimidating to fill those shoes. I gave her a Twitter follow, and will try to check some of her stuff out; wish her well here.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Well, as long as Russo is still in Minnesota, she will be similar to Mizutani (sp?) at the Pioneer Press when it comes to Wild coverage in this state, a distant afterthought.

For us, she was a slightly more reliable source of line combinations/starting goalies than dailyfaceoff.com (but the difference was miniscule since dailyfaceoff.com often cited her Twitter account for what they put up) but that's about it. Her articles about the Coyotes never said anything that wasn't reasonably obvious to an informed fan.

I mean, if you didn't follow the team closely, what she had to say could have been news, but I'm biased because I follow the Coyotes pretty obsessively and from a personal standpoint she never published anything that was news to me.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
I hope you like your beat writers of the milquetoast variety, because that's all that Sarah McLellan is.
As i'm sure i'm not the only one that will have to do this...
milquetoast

[milk-tohst]
noun, (sometimes initial capital letter)
a very timid, unassertive, spineless person, especially one who is easily dominated or intimidated:
a milquetoast who's afraid to ask for a raise.

ThatGuy22

Oct 11, 2011
For us, she was a slightly more reliable source of line combinations/starting goalies than dailyfaceoff.com (but the difference was miniscule since dailyfaceoff.com often cited her Twitter account for what they put up) but that's about it. Her articles about the Coyotes never said anything that wasn't reasonably obvious to an informed fan.

I mean, if you didn't follow the team closely, what she had to say could have been news, but I'm biased because I follow the Coyotes pretty obsessively and from a personal standpoint she never published anything that was news to me.
Part of that could be role at the paper(website). Looking at her work, seems like she wasn't solely Coyotes focused. Has a little bit of everything(Cardinals, Coyotes, Diamondbacks). With the Strib, she probably will have zero other focus beyond the Wild.

Summer Rose

Red Like Roses
Sponsor
May 3, 2012
Gainesville, Florida
Part of that could be role at the paper(website). Looking at her work, seems like she wasn't solely Coyotes focused. Has a little bit of everything(Cardinals, Coyotes, Diamondbacks). With the Strib, she probably will have zero other focus beyond the Wild.

That's fair to say. If you only do hockey in Arizona, there's just not a lot of money in it. For example, Todd Walsh is part of our broadcast crew (and most of us hate him because he's stupid, but that's beside the point), but he's employed by Fox Sports Arizona, which is our local cable sports network that attempts to cover the Diamondbacks, Suns, and Coyotes simultaneously (the NFL being the NFL, it doesn't include the Cardinals at all). Semi-on-topic rant; Todd Walsh is just as much of an idiot when he's with the Diamondbacks or Suns.

Tyson Nash does only Coyotes coverage, but he's a former NHL player so he's probably not in it for the money, though.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
The Strib found their new beat writer, from AZ.

She is pretty unprofessional in interviews and if she has writing chops, we haven't seen them. In five years, I can count the number of times she dropped actual informational nuggets in her articles on one hand. Information about all the drama with the Coyotes was falling out of the trees and she managed to pick up on basically none of it. She was easily outdone by a guy who lost his full time beat gig when Fox Sports downsized a bit.

It's a pretty bad sign when your articles are hard to separate from an AP auto generated text story. I wish her luck in your market because she is going to need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad