Russians Looking To Make Impact In WHL

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Interesting to note the influx of Russians in the WHL this year, especially in the Eastern Conference.

Last year the Eastern Conference had six Russians in it, this year it's doubled to 12. That's essentially one per team (there are 12 teams in the conference). Out of those 12, seven are also NHL Draft-eligible for the first time in 2015 and many of them appear to be worth a peek from NHL teams based on some of my early viewings.

So, who are they exactly and are they a lock to spend the 2014-15 season in the WHL? Let’s find out.

The new Russians:

Ivan Provorov – Brandon Wheat Kings – D

This 1997-born blueliner makes the jump to the WHL from Cedar Rapids of the USHL, being the 30th overall pick in the 2014 CHL Import Draft. Brandon technically have three imports on their roster with Rihards Bukarts and New York Rangers prospect Richard Nejezchleb. Nejezchleb is an overage and is looking to earn a pro deal from the Rangers at their upcoming rookie camp and I fully expect that to happen, solidifying Provorov’s spot with the Wheat Kings. For the record, Provorov already has 4 assists in 2 pre-season WHL games and will be looking to help provide some of the offence that will be lost as Brandon captain Ryan Pulock begins his pro career.

Pavel Karnaukhov – Calgary Hitmen – C

Karnaukhov is a big, rangy centre for Calgary and was the 56th overall pick in the most recent Import Draft. He’s also a 1997-born skater and has picked up 4 points in 4 exhibition games so far. I’ve had the chance to see him playing and he’s got some nice tools. His skating is a bit clumsy but he’s got good hockey sense and hands and should be an impact player in North America. His likeness on the ice actually reminds me a bit of a young Leon Draisaitl. Like Brandon, Calgary currently have three imports with Radel Fazleev and Pavel Padakin being the others. Also like Brandon, their “issue” will likely clear itself up as Padakin is hoping to earn a pro contract with Calgary at their quickly-approaching prospect camp. I expect that to happen, and even if it doesn’t Karnaukhov and Fazleev have a 99.9% chance of being the two imports who stick around for good.

Continued:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/09/whl-enjoying-russian-invasion.html

Last edited:

1Gold Standard

Jun 13, 2012
Interesting to note the influx of Russians in the WHL this year, especially in the Eastern Conference.

Last year the Eastern Conference had six Russians in it, this year it's doubled to 12. That's essentially one per team (there are 12 teams in the conference). Out of those 12, seven are also NHL Draft-eligible for the first time in 2015 and many of them appear to be worth a peek from NHL teams based on some of my early viewings.

Continued:

http://whl-from-above.blogspot.ca/2014/09/whl-enjoying-russian-invasion.html

Ivan Provorov? Is this the same guy that bailed on his USHL team to go play at the U18, leaving them in the lurch while they were still in the playoff picture?

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Ivan Provorov? Is this the same guy that bailed on his USHL team to go play at the U18, leaving them in the lurch while they were still in the playoff picture?

Playing for his country over some USHL team? Good move.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Always sad to hear that the young kids haven't gotten any smarter. They're still flocking to the CHL, certain that they are going to be drafted in the first round by an NHL team that will pay a fortune for them! Right, but check out the number of Russian kids drafted in the first 2 rounds in recent years. If you don't go by the 2nd round, then no one has any financial interest in you, and the AHL is probably the best they'll do! And their game will suffer for it as well. Very sad indeed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad