WC: Russians care more for international play

Status
Not open for further replies.

stars13*

I understand the world championship is important to the the Russians because of there great history but it seems they are more passionate when they play international hockey instead of nhl playoff hockey. Malkin dominated the tournament but a month ago the flyers frustrated the hell out of him. Now lets see if you can run the table when everyone is playing in 2014.

Skyver

Oct 12, 2009
Budapest
I understand the world championship is important to the the Russians because of there great history but it seems they are more passionate when they play international hockey instead of nhl playoff hockey. Malkin dominated the tournament but a month ago the flyers frustrated the hell out of him. Now lets see if you can run the table when everyone is playing in 2014.

Yes, maybe. That's their culture. Can you blame them for loving their country that much?

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
I disagree. I just think it's alot tougher to play in the nhl playoffs than the world championship. I'm sure if you asked players that they'd tell you. Teams are well coached, systems in place, and you're dealing with long grueling series with the best players in the world putting it all on the line.

If your premise was accurate, how would you explain the poor showing of Russia at the Olympics, or how would you explain Malkin winning a Conn Smyth.

CCCP

Nov 17, 2005
i16.photobucket.com

He also just won the Art Ross, most likely will win the Hart and Lindsey, and also has won the Cup and the Conn Smythe before.

NewFang

Aug 4, 2008
He also just won the Art Ross, most likely will win the Hart and Lindsey, and also has won the Cup and the Conn Smythe before.

Exactly. Not to mention guys like ov and dats do very well in the nhl playoffs

LSnow

Jan 5, 2012
Finland
Maybe if the canadian mr fleury would care to play in playoffs maybe malkin woulnd be new mr champion..

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Crosby didn't play all that passionately in the playoffs and then bailed on Team Canada for the WCs, so what's that say about passion?

Nothing. This micro analysis is stupid.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
its moronic to say the world championship is more important to the russians for obvious reasons, but it doesnt mean they souldnt play at 100 per cent in wc

Sh00terMcGavin

#Leadership
Jul 5, 2011
Pittsburgh
First off, this notion that Sid and Geno were "shut down" in the playoffs has to stop. They both had 8 points in 6 games (yes I know the 10 goal game helped). The reason the Pens lost was because of atrocious defense and goaltending. As for Russia though, I have no problem with fans feeling proud in their country. There's no point in even discussing the World Championships if every comeback is "well, let's see if you can do it in 2014!"

Dares

May 13, 2009
Today you play KHL, tomorrow NHL, might end up playing for 5+ teams....why should you care about a cup. Playing for you national team winning medals is more important.
Yes you want to win the cup, whichever it is but when it comes to a call for the national team you should take a huge dump in that cup and answer that call....

Canada doing not so great in WC, same talk every year of how important it is for them brought it to a level NA guys act as if its of less importance to them.
Put these WHC in NA, Canada takes the gold year after year then it becomes super important all of a sudden.....

Zuluss

May 19, 2011
I think they just look different, and this is what makes WC fun to watch. You've got to see Malkin rushing down the wing because the ice is bigger or some vintage Ovechkin because Team Norway apparently does not have a book on him like NHL teams do.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Today you play KHL, tomorrow NHL, might end up playing for 5+ teams....why should you care about a cup. Playing for you national team winning medals is more important.
Yes you want to win the cup, whichever it is but when it comes to a call for the national team you should take a huge dump in that cup and answer that call....

Canada doing not so great in WC, same talk every year of how important it is for them brought it to a level NA guys act as if its of less importance to them.
Put these WHC in NA, Canada takes the gold year after year then it becomes super important all of a sudden.....

to play devils advocate here, with a team you (in most cases) 1) spend your career trying to get a Cup, so the goal of getting it builds up that desire and 2) you spend your entire season, 82 games with your teammates trying to win, so getting to the playoffs is a the culmination of all the work you've put in.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Russian hockey has seen a resurgence lately. Up until 2010, many were singing its death knell. First came success at the WC. Then the WJR's. Perhaps 2014 will be their year as well. The big ice will help. Home ice may not.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
Crosby didn't play all that passionately in the playoffs and then bailed on Team Canada for the WCs, so what's that say about passion?

Crosby was good in the playoffs, although clearly a little worried about being headhunted along the boards

Given his injury problems this year, you can see him passing. Stamkos had some kind of hand problem. Giroux just had surgery on both wrists. Injuries are a ***** and the WC doesn't hold the same importance to Canada as it does to European countries

nucks88

Jan 8, 2012
The Left Coast

Says a lot about serious concussions though don't you think? I give the guy a pass on this one, he came through when it mattered in 2010. I don't think you will find a more competitive or passionate player anywhere.

Gemini

May 12, 2011

Come again?

Why on earth should the national team take precedence over winning the most important trophy in hockey? Playing for the national team is only good for silly nationalist chest-pounding.

Korolyuk15

Jan 19, 2012
London
Come again?

Why on earth should the national team take precedence over winning the most important trophy in hockey? Playing for the national team is only good for silly nationalist chest-pounding.

I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous....representing your nation is important in every sport, there is extra emotion that comes with a shared culture, heritage and history, the core components of what define a "nation"...thats why athletes do it without being paid (much?)

You are basically saying nations aren't important at all...history would beg to differ...

Playing for national teams is important for Americans and Canadians just as much as Russians and Europeans, just not when they lose (hence the lack of emphasis on the WHC or the world cup)

Gemini

May 12, 2011
I'm sorry but this is just ridiculous....representing your nation is important in every sport, there is extra emotion that comes with a shared culture, heritage and history, the core components of what define a "nation"...thats why athletes do it without being paid (much?)

Which is why it's so silly: You want to win for your country, no matter the country, just because it's your country. In fact, there seems to be a negative correlation between a given country's living standards and its inhabitants' national pride, at least when it comes to sports. Of course, this is not all that surprising: When you've got little things to be proud of, silly international competitions are valued disproportionately. So, it's not surprising that Americans value international tournaments (in any sports) less than Russians do. Representing your country is still important to a North American but not as important as winning the highest prize available to an individual athlete (North Americans being more individualistic than Europeans/Asians). This is why it's not so important whose jersey you happen to be wearing when you get to lift the cup. The city is not important in itself; it's merely a tool.

An athlete should always seek the highest prize. In hockey, that prize is the Stanley Cup. Any hockey athlete who wants to win the WHC gold over the Stanley Cup is being irrational.

TollefsenFan

Apr 29, 2010
K-town
I think they just look different, and this is what makes WC fun to watch. You've got to see Malkin rushing down the wing because the ice is bigger or some vintage Ovechkin because Team Norway apparently does not have a book on him like NHL teams do.

Malkin played against Norway 2 times and ended up with 0 goals and 3 assists :) Only 1 assist in the QF game and it was on the 5th goal. So Malkin didnt dominate so much in the games vs Norway :) Ovi scored a lucky goal on us. He shot from behind the goal and hit the goalies skate :(

jekoh

Jun 8, 2004
Of course, this is not all that surprising: When you've got little things to be proud of, silly international competitions are valued disproportionately. So, it's not surprising that Americans value international tournaments (in any sports) less than Russians do.
They also value international tournaments less than Norwegians do, so your explanation as to why certain people value international tournaments more than others seems stupid.

An athlete should always seek the highest prize. In hockey, that prize is the Stanley Cup.
The highest prize in hockey is Olympic gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad