Russian Prospects 2005 Entry Draft Preview (Free)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
I just don't understand why good Russian prospects like Radulov and Churilov continue to go the the CHL! Haven´t they noticed what happened to guys Yakubov and Shvidki?

Maybe it´s because of bad agents, I don´t know. But it continues to bug me that good young Russian talent is basically ruined in the CHL. Maybe the CHL coaches don´t want to develop Russian players like they want to develop Canadians?

Alexander Radulov for example had a chance to become something special in Russia. Now, well, I don´t know. I fear his career is basically over before he even turns 20!

How many ruined "CHL-trained" Russian players there have to be before these kids realize that they shouldn´t go over there!

RyanM

May 2, 2002
Sydney
Peter25 said:
I just don't understand why good Russian prospects like Radulov and Churilov continue to go the the CHL! Haven´t they noticed what happened to guys Yakubov and Shvidki?

Maybe it´s because of bad agents, I don´t know. But it continues to bug me that good young Russian talent is basically ruined in the CHL. Maybe the CHL coaches don´t want to develop Russian players like they want to develop Canadians?

Alexander Radulov for example had a chance to become something special in Russia. Now, well, I don´t know. I fear his career is basically over before he even turns 20!

How many ruined "CHL-trained" Russian players there have to be before these kids realize that they shouldn´t go over there!

Not every player is ruined. And why is no blame being placed on the PLAYER here, everything is being blamed on the CHL. That's like saying the Ottawa Senators ruined Alexandre Daigle because he never had any passion for the game of hockey.

These kids don't care if they're special in Russia, they all want to be special in the NHL because that's how people are raised, to be the best they can be. Their life goals are bigger then the Russian Super League, and the best way to the NHL for players is often through the CHL where they will play against their peers and play in front of many NHL scouts on a regular basis.

Also they probably want to get out of Russia so they can play in North America without having to get a god knows how many dollar release from their Russian clubs. And they need to come over eventually, so why not at 17 and be seen by NHL scouts on a nightly basis and start to get used to a 70+ game schedule plus playoffs.

Soyuz

Dec 8, 2003
Visit site
Ryan M - I agree with you - there is a lot of motivation to play in the NHL, but don't discount Russia, especially right now. The Russian Super League is popular and the players get paid a lot of money - often hundreds of thousands. Drozdetsky makes 600k. So, that motivation factor is there.

As far as the release fees, they aren’t always that much of an issue – especially until this year since there was a structure between the NHL and the IIHF. Now it’s more uncertain, but it will get back on track soon when they sign another agreement.

As far as the season length is concerned, it is a factor, but the Russian season in 60 games long and ends in April, and that doesn’t count the tons of preseason tournaments that the players play. The season here is more intense, but not by much any more.

The skill that the kids gain back in Russia if they stick with the big club is immense, but not all players get that opportunity. Those that do should definitely stay there, but those that don’t should try their luck in the CHL. The level of developement in Russia vs. CHL is very different. Yes there is good and bad in both places, but there is more of a plus to develop in Russia if given the opportunity to play and practice in the Super League or even the Upper League .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad