Russian players in Medvescak?

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Do you think it is possible to see a russian player in Medvescak next season? With the core of NA players how would they find themselves "swimming" in that game style, would they find chemisty with the rest of the players, would playing with NA players benefit their skills and maybe help them in their way to NHL/AHL? And what expectations do they have from going west? Some time ago in the trade rumors thread we talked about Drazenovic coming to medvescak and bobbeaver had interesting theory (with wich i agree) that some players willingly take a paycutt if they see medvescak as a stepping stone to a higher contract in a russian team next season...so i wonder if there are any russians who might have the same view in other direction...for example imagine a player who signs a deal with nhl team, they dump him in their ahl affiliate...isn't that the same as playing for medvescak? And did someone find any comments about medvescak from russian players...is their oppinion of zagreb team in the region of "exotic experiment" or they see us as a serious team especially after securing a playoff spot?

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
As long as there is the foreigner limit in place Russians have a market of their own - they are being overpaid from the free market standpoint. So why would a free market team like Medvescak sign them? That's not possible.

Unless it's Zherdev since apparently nobody in Russia wants to sign him anymore :laugh:

And getting a bit picky there, but this is a Medvescak topic more than KHL topic and can't see it going to the distance so you probably could've asked this question in Medvescan thread.

Last edited:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
That is actually a good question. Never thought about that. But if you say Medvescak plays a hybrid NA style game with some russian hockey elements because of big ice and opponents they face, it would be a stepping stone to the russian style played in big KHL clubs, but it could be reversed, players could get used to the NA style game without a shock period.
But on the other hand i doubt russian players think like that, nor their managers. I think we need a few years in KHL for that if ever to happen.

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
And getting a bit picky there, but this is a Medvescak topic more than KHL topic and can't see it going to the distance so you probably could've asked this question in Medvescan thread.

But my intention was to gather oppinion from russian fans, i would think you know russian players better than croatian fans...or maybe i'm wrong? I don't expect amur fan to hang around medvescak thread...maybe two days before and after the game of our clubs to ask about injuries or form and to comment the match when it finishes....but...rest of the times i really can't see the point...

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
I don't think it is too realistic. The best Russians will stay in NA or come to Russian top teams. The players available for Medvescak are not better but maybe more expansive that the NA Cronucks.

Toffu

Jan 31, 2014
Limit = some of players are overpaid.

But I don't think that KHL can go with NHL system of game.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
If the right fit for the right price why not? Zherdev is perfect example as he may come at a bargain, he may be the only way Medvescak can afford a star player like that. You never know, maybe he turns it around finally.

Medo

Oct 26, 2011
Why not? we already had a russian playing for us in EBEL. Truhno.

I don't think that we are going to be signing too many players that are not from Scandinavia or North America. Problem with Russian players is that they often don't speak English. I remember one interview (cannot find the link now, maybe bishonen has it?) with Mr. Gojanović where he was asked about something like that and he said that he prefers players to be able to speak the same language because some players who didn't speak English were kind of alienated in the locker room and didn't blend in.

Last edited by a moderator:

bishonen91

Jun 22, 2012
You get a top AHL player for 200k. Top russian of same level would be two, to three or more times as much.

Does not compute

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
So I thought we could revive this thread as MedveÅ¡čak president said there is a possibility we could see as much as 10 young russian players next season. Here is the link: http://www.vecernji.hr/hokej/gojanovic-mijenjamo-filozofiju-imat-cemo-cak-10-ruskih-hokejasa-1005919

I think someone mentioned on Facebook that team will gather by 20th July and first info about new season and signings should come in about ten days or so...

So who might those players be? Is there anyone from this season who came as a good prospect but failed to find his place in the lineup because of coach not liking him or club had higher ambitions and gave that young player minimum minutes on ice?

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
So I thought we could revive this thread as Medveščak president said there is a possibility we could see as much as 10 young russian players next season. Here is the link: http://www.vecernji.hr/hokej/gojanovic-mijenjamo-filozofiju-imat-cemo-cak-10-ruskih-hokejasa-1005919

I think someone mentioned on Facebook that team will gather by 20th July and first info about new season and signings should come in about ten days or so...

So who might those players be? Is there anyone from this season who came as a good prospect but failed to find his place in the lineup because of coach not liking him or club had higher ambitions and gave that young player minimum minutes on ice?

I think they can only be players who have potential, but aren't good to make rosters on better teams. Perhaps some VHLers as well. I'm sure you can find players like Soshnikov and Shmelyov, who both were MHL players last year and then came to KHL and scored 32 and 37 points respectively. But you gotta be really lucky. The good thing is young Russian players will always prefer to live and play in Croatia than in cities like Yugra, Nizhnekamsk etc.

Raptor1990

May 21, 2013
Devínska Nová Ves
Nice move towards Russian young talented players developing, since Medvescak has russian sponsors and they will no longer to feed the Canadian/US 2nd or 3d grade players.

loppa*

Nice move towards Russian young talented players developing, since Medvescak has russian sponsors and they will no longer to feed the Canadian/US 2nd or 3d grade players.

Medvescak did well in its two seasons.

Last edited by a moderator:

maxim84

Oct 19, 2013
Zagreb
Well the first year was great, Medvescak secured playoffs, and in second year they started with awful coach and trusted too much in statistical data when signing players. I would say MedveÅ¡čak is a good filter for those borderline KHL players who need a test drive to stay in the league. Cheechoo, Vesce, Linglet and Brust as good examples...it's no brainer if SKA brings a player like Kovalchuk or Radulov but you can't have a league full of players like that, you need players for other clubs like Yugra or Severstal etc...I expect the same thing to happen with russian young players this season few will break out and go to a mid table club like Sochi or Torpedo or Avantgard...

loppa*

13th place in western conference is good ? No need to feed 3 grade Canadians/Americans really.

As Maxim has noted, those 3rd rate players are in fact top players in the KHL.

Furthermore, season two was good also. It was not as good for Medvescak as season one, but, I have no problem with them being a lower tier team in the league, struggling to not be in last place. That's fine, for me. That's their place, so be it. :) One would be foolish to think that they would be at the top, especially considering that Croatia is not and never will be (not in the near future at least) a hockey country.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad