Russian Hockey Without Oil/Gas/State Money & How Different Would It Be? (What If scenario)

Rigafan

Jul 28, 2016
Europe
This is just a question that I asked myself whilst watching Loko's MHL Junior team. What would the 'true' level of Russian hockey look like, if they had to depend soley on ticket sales, general sponsorship deals, merch sales and so on - basically without the backing of all these rich people and companies that enable the KHL and co. to keep operating.

What would the teams be making in terms of revenue if SKA could only base its salary expectations on its season ticket sales and sponsorship from within the city?

Would there be more or less teams, would the league have to be West/East divided to cut down on travel costs?

Top players would be earning how much in comparison to their KHL salaries?

I do enjoy the KHL very much, but it is fascinating just how much money it takes for it to run every single year.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Oil/Gas/State/Minerals are the four basic sources of funding for the KHL, VHL and MHL. There are no other significant sources of wealth from which Russian hockey programs could draw. My guess is that the KHL is losing a lot of money meeting salaries and expenses, even though both categories are significantly lower than comparable costs to run the NHL. They are keeping it going for now, but who knows what the future may bring?

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
I hope it is a very short-term problem, but it might affect North Americans, and possibly Western Europeans choosing to play in Russia.

Reactions: Rigafan

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I hope it is a very short-term problem, but it might affect North Americans, and possibly Western Europeans choosing to play in Russia.

Will probably go the other way now.

Mass exodus from the russian leagues to the North American, Swiz, Swedish and maybe even the Finnish leagues.

Reactions: Jussi

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Will probably go the other way now.

Mass exodus from the russian leagues to the North American, Swiz, Swedish and maybe even the Finnish leagues.

On several levels, organized hockey in Russia will be profoundly affected! Much of the funding for hockey comes from the Federation or from the major enterprises, like oil and gas. Much of that money will be diverted to other sectors of the economy, and hockey leagues will have to dial back or drop out!

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2