Russia National Team discussion thread

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Since that Russia 25 thing has been mentioned anyway, here's the roster:

Goalkeepers: Nikita Serebryakov (Admiral), Daniil Isaev (Lokomotiv), Dmitry Nikolaev, Sergei Ivanov (both SKA).

Defensemen: Alexander Yelesin, Daniil Misyul (both Lokomotiv), Nikita Kamalov, Arseniy Koromyslov, Alexander Nikishin, Mikhail Pashnin, Andrei Pedan, Georgy Solyannikov, Nikita Smirnov (all SKA), Nikita Novikov (Dynamo Moscow), Maxim Fedotov (Torpedo), Ilya Karpukhin (Traktor).

Forwards: Zakhar Bardakov, Dmitry Buchelnikov, Alexander Volkov, Mikhail Vorobyov, Vasily Glotov, Svyatoslav Grebenshchikov, Valentin Zykov, Nikolai Polyakov, Marat Khairullin, Marat Khusnutdinov (all SKA), Maxim Dzhioshvili (Dynamo Moscow), Matvei Michkov (Sochi), Pavel Poryadin, Andrei Chivilyov (Neftekhimik), Gleb Petrov (Mikhailov Academy), Yaroslav Likhachyov (Amur), Ivan Zinchenko, Alexander Yaremchuk, Vladislav Kara (all Vityaz).

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
In a new low for them, Russia, desperate to get out of its international isolation in hockey, would now like to play India.

Question for the Russians here - do you not find this bizzare?

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Is there a source for the play India stuff?

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
It doesn't say that the Team Russia will play them, you can notice that further there is “We have cooperation with, for example, China, and we are discussing cooperation with South Africa and Brazil. We play field hockey, and they come to play hockey.” - it obviously doesn't mean that the Team Russia is playing vs. China now or will be playing Vs South Africa and Brazil. Even more, if I understand correctly there is no Brazil or India national ice hockey team at all currently, so they should organize one first.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
It doesn't say that the Team Russia will play them, you can notice that further there is “We have cooperation with, for example, China, and we are discussing cooperation with South Africa and Brazil. We play field hockey, and they come to play hockey.” - it obviously doesn't mean that the Team Russia is playing vs. China now or will be playing Vs South Africa and Brazil. Even more, if I understand correctly there is no Brazil or India national ice hockey team at all currently, so they should organize one first.
Oh okay, then it's not a total embarassment :sarcasm:

Russia's own hockey people are calling this plan a circus.

Caser

@RUSProspects
May 21, 2013
Riga/Yaroslavl
twitter.com
Unlikely, I think he just wants to be not considered as a foreigner in the KHL anymore, since the team foreigner limit was reduced to 3 now. Technically if he aims for NT though, he still has to wait for some time to be eligible, I think 2 years in his case, so he will be 31 by then and considering the competition at wings the best he can count is like a 4th line grinding role.

Also rumors about getting the Russian passports are now there about Brennan Menell and Ostap Safin btw.

jcbio11

Aug 17, 2008
Bratislava
Unlikely, I think he just wants to be not considered as a foreigner in the KHL anymore, since the team foreigner limit was reduced to 3 now. Technically if he aims for NT though, he still has to wait for some time to be eligible, I think 2 years in his case, so he will be 31 by then and considering the competition at wings the best he can count is like a 4th line grinding role.

Also rumors about getting the Russian passports are now there about Brennan Menell and Ostap Safin btw.
Moot point. Russia isn't playing any relevant national team hockey anytime soon. Already banned from next year's WCH.

FrHockeyFan

Dec 25, 2017
Well technically they do exist despite the lack of proper facilities. Brazil plays the Latam Cup and was competing in the Panamerican tournament before that. India used to play the IIHF Challenge Cup of Asia but most of their opponents have joined the WC Division III/IV levels so the men's tourney has gone the way of the dodo for the time being.

Reactions: Caser

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad