Russia D is better than in a long time?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
It's a damn good D core.

Even if someone thought they'd be weak... remember they are standing in front of 3 Vezina level goalies. That is a bastard of a backend and how a team should be built.

Just need some legit C's... Malkin aging, Kuzy aging (and maybe not eligible)

1700840674948.png

I'd say the program is definitely on the rise.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Their defense might be better than their centers.

I have little doubt they now have a better team than the Finns.

They have better wingers and goalies than any team.

I see them as arguably a better team than Sweden. They are still a distant third to Canada and USA, but in a short tournament if the wingers and goalies make the big plays and outplay the other countries, they now have a defense that won’t lose it for them.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Their defense might be better than their centers.

I have little doubt they now have a better team than the Finns.

They have better wingers and goalies than any team.

I see them as arguably a better team than Sweden. They are still a distant third to Canada and USA, but in a short tournament if the wingers and goalies make the big plays and outplay the other countries, they now have a defense that won’t lose it for them.
I agree with most of this but there is one aspect with Russia where the jury is still out for me...............coaching and how they plan to play and players commitment to it.

They've been very wishy washy and mostly subpar in this for for quite some time. They seem to have a very hard time " getting it together" for a long time.

It's a damn good D core.

Even if someone thought they'd be weak... remember they are standing in front of 3 Vezina level goalies. That is a bastard of a backend and how a team should be built.

Just need some legit C's... Malkin aging, Kuzy aging (and maybe not eligible)

View attachment 772582

I'd say the program is definitely on the rise.
Growing up going through the wars with the old Soviet teams it seems very strange to me still to mouth the words..." Russia on the rise"

But that is what it is.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I think there a few more very good russians in the pipe too! Feel like I see them in first round draft rankings a lot.

I do love that they are building from the backend out.

The mediocre results, to me, is based on having star wingers.

If I were to rank the positions in order of importance:

G
D
C

W

I say this as a guy who's national team is also built around wingers.

Put another way... I suck at hockey. You know what position I play in beer league? Wing!lol

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I think there a few more very good russians in the pipe too! Feel like I see them in first round draft rankings a lot.

I do love that they are building from the backend out.

The mediocre results, to me, is based on having star wingers.

If I were to rank the positions in order of importance:

G
D
C

W

I say this as a guy who's national team is also built around wingers.

Put another way... I suck at hockey. You know what position I play in beer league? Wing!lol
Yeah, Malkin (old), Kuznetsov (bleh) and Namestnikov (ok but a depth guy) are the only Russians playing Center in the NHL, and the latter two are awful at faceoffs, lol. So they'd probably have to move some Wingers over to Center for a short tournament. Faceoffs would certainly be a big issue against any good team.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
They have lots of young D/prospects on the rise too.

Nikishin, Mukhamadullin, Konyushkov, Simashev, Gulyayev, Silayev (draft eligible) all good options looking forward if they develop. Russia needs some Centers worth a damn lol.

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yeah, Malkin (old), Kuznetsov (bleh) and Namestnikov (ok but a depth guy) are the only Russians playing Center in the NHL, and the latter two are awful at faceoffs, lol. So they'd probably have to move some Wingers over to Center for a short tournament. Faceoffs would certainly be a big issue against any good team.
Which is funny because Canada does the exact opposite. They bring more C's and move them to wing. Their results indicate it's a good strategy.

I should clariy, Czechs aren't deep at C either in case people think I'm dunking on the Russians here.lol I'd kill to have the 'Gee, we have way too many C's.. what do we do with them' problem.lol US also has a great surplus of C's. Jealous.

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
Which is funny because Canada does the exact opposite. They bring more C's and move them to wing. Their results indicate it's a good strategy.

I should clariy, Czechs aren't deep at C either in case people think I'm dunking on the Russians here.lol I'd kill to have the 'Gee, we have way too many C's.. what do we do with them' problem.lol US also has a great surplus of C's. Jealous.
I was watching an AHL broadcast where the color commentator said every talented Canadian kid plays center growing up but then a lot get moved to winger during juniors. Probably explains why it feels like almost every top Canadian forward prospect is a Center. Wing is like a demotion lol. I don’t think that’s the case in Russian youth and most of their talented forward prospects grow up as wing which leaves a shortage at center. You see it in even in junior levels imo.

Reactions: Czechboy

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They have lots of young D/prospects on the rise too.

Nikishin, Mukhamadullin, Konyushkov, Simashev, Gulyayev, Silayev (draft eligible) all good options looking forward if they develop. Russia needs some Centers worth a damn lol.
Add Shuravin

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
I still think Sweden has clearly better roster than Russia overall, but goalie's are Russias triumph card for possible upset againts Can Usa or Swe. Still would rank them 5th if they would participate in Best againts best tournament (Finland knows how to play againts Russia) And Can Usa and Swe simply have better player material.

Reactions: Svedu

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don

Buchnevich/Voronkov could easily be moved to C. which allows for:

Malkin
Buchnevich
Barbashyov
Voronkov

Kuznetsov’s lazy ass could be inserted into the lineup depending on the opponent.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

Yet, based on all that evidence of what works on the international level, that Team Canada has gifted to the world, you are still going to stick with your formula of:

1.G
2.D
3.C

You're so colossally wrong, that yes, if you were on my beer league team I'd ship ya out to a high school rec league.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I'd say yes.

There was a time when it seemed the only good Russian dmen were Gonchar and Markov. Probably 1 other and then it would be d who were playing in Russia.

Goaltending has seriously improved, too.

TheBeastCoast

Mar 23, 2011
Dartmouth,NS
Wingers are play drivers like Kucherov, Panarin and Kaprizov so it’s not a big deal outside of faceoffs.
I mean I completely disagree that it isn't a big deal. Sure they will still be tough to beat defensively but it is a massively glaring weakness when it comes to matching them up against a team like Canada or the USA who have both elite level centres and wingers. And centres that can just move over to the wing lol

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Yet, based on all that evidence of what works on the international level, that Team Canada has gifted to the world, you are still going to stick with your formula of:

1.G
2.D
3.C

You're so colossally wrong, that yes, if you were on my beer league team I'd ship ya out to a high school rec league.
I'd argue all those best on best Team Canada wins did have elite goalies and D as well.

But, since I'm collosaly wrong, how about you tell me how you would rank it in order of importance?

High school rec legue would be too fast for me.. getting old!

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
I mean I completely disagree that it isn't a big deal. Sure they will still be tough to beat defensively but it is a massively glaring weakness when it comes to matching them up against a team like Canada or the USA who have both elite level centres and wingers. And centres that can just move over to the wing lol
Yes the forwards are obviously weaker than Canada and USA that goes without saying, but there are enough high end forwards and good enough depth forwards to “hang” and get lucky in a best of 1 knockout. All hypothetical of course. Just my opinion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad