Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I will say, it would be very disappointing if McDavid or Draisaitl left because of lack of playoff success, when from what I've heard, they've been pretty adamant about keeping guys they like around. Nurse, Foegele, Ceci are all guys that they really like or have allegedly gone to bat for (in the case of Nurse I think they sign him to that contract regardless). They seem to like keeping "their guys" around, so if you then turn around and say well you didn't make our team competitive enough, that would be tough to swallow.

For that reason I can't see the Oilers ever dumping Nurse, I think they want to win with him. But if Draisaitl is waffling at all on re-signing, then you absolutely do a Nurse+ for Marner deal if that's on the table.
I have a hard time with the "core" mentality to an extent. Totally understand why you want to keep players around who your stars want around. But you also have to keep trying to get better, and sometimes hard decisions have to be made. I like Nurse, and think he gets shit on way too much by some, but I'd also consider an essentially get out of jail free card on the long term cap hit and gamble.

But that's why I'm an EA GM.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
But that type of player unfortunately cost you $5M at least. Maybe if you move Kane it makes sense. But if you are moving Ceci for example you need to spend the money on another RHD not a third line winger or center.

Now if you could somehow get Adam Lowry out of Winnipeg, then sign me up. At $3.25M he would be a great asset.
Lowry would be a hell of an add. Nick Paul was a guy I was hollering that they should acquire from Ottawa for years. Puljujarvi and a 3rd would've likely gotten it done.

I don't think a 3C necessarily costs you $5m. Especially if you're capable of finding one early in the payscale.

I'd think that it'd be wise for the Oilers run a light D core up until the deadline and build cap flexibility to make a larger deadline add. I think Nurse could use a real partner next season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'll play.

It's absolutely fool's gold to think the Oilers would move on from Nurse or that he would waive his contract control to accept moving on from his only team within its winning window. But fit wise, I think Utah would be optimal with a young, developing team with need for a quality veteran leadership type on D; uber cap space to accommodate; and tons of young players and/or draft collateral. Oil could plug in younger, cheaper roster players and shop for blue line depth. Or package Utah trade asset for an established veteran RD to help balance the blue line while upgrading it... using Parayko as an overused example...

But ultimately think it might be a Wayne Gretzky 99% Nurse is not moved. Though citing Gretz reinforces it's not impossible for anyone to move.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
With more thought needed there is something to this.

I'd rather get more Gourde ,Coleman, Goodrow type checkers. What we have is a Low IQ mess of crap
Yeah, it kind of feels like GMs have thought the team doesn't need any playmakers because they have McDrai, but then they've ended up with a bunch of players that can't skate with the puck or make a pass to save their lives on the second or third line.

RNH should be that guy, but he just shits his pants any time he gets the puck now.

Some actual playmakers that can drive possession to go with all the big, fast shooters in the bottom nine should be a priority target, IMO.

Reactions: Whoshattenkirkshoes

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Yeah, it kind of feels like GMs have thought the team doesn't need any playmakers because they have McDrai, but then they've ended up with a bunch of players that can't skate with the puck or make a pass to save their lives on the second or third line.

RNH should be that guy, but he just shits his pants any time he gets the puck now.

Some actual playmakers that can drive possession to go with all the big, fast shooters in the bottom nine should be a priority target, IMO.

He's our Marner. Thank god he only makes half the salary.

Reactions: McDNicks17

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I will say, it would be very disappointing if McDavid or Draisaitl left because of lack of playoff success, when from what I've heard, they've been pretty adamant about keeping guys they like around. Nurse, Foegele, Ceci are all guys that they really like or have allegedly gone to bat for (in the case of Nurse I think they sign him to that contract regardless). They seem to like keeping "their guys" around, so if you then turn around and say well you didn't make our team competitive enough, that would be tough to swallow.

For that reason I can't see the Oilers ever dumping Nurse, I think they want to win with him. But if Draisaitl is waffling at all on re-signing, then you absolutely do a Nurse+ for Marner deal if that's on the table.
Nurse is mcdavids best friend. They lived together for years. They live close by in the city walking distance. Along with mcdavids brother he'll be his best man at his wedding.

A massive mistake made was consulting with players on guys like ceci who is very close with drai.

After these guys are reupped decisions need to be made for what's best for the team. Not who you like to have dinner on the road with.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I would want Ceci attached to it and someone like Geekie or Frederic coming back.
I think contracts make it favor Edmonton as is. Drai is getting a monster raise and McAvoy is locked in until 2030.

That's a legit, #1 RHD coming into his prime years for Draisaitl.

Still don't know know if Boston would do it.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada

Reading the main boards, a previous favorite of mine Pavel Zacha might be playing his way off of that Boston roster. I'd happily flip Evander for him in the offseason.

Reactions: guymez

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Nurse is mcdavids best friend. They lived together for years. They live close by in the city walking distance. Along with mcdavids brother he'll be his best man at his wedding.

A massive mistake made was consulting with players on guys like ceci who is very close with drai.

After these guys are reupped decisions need to be made for what's best for the team. Not who you like to have dinner on the road with.
Nurse is a massive mistake. Ceci is a minor mistake.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Reading the main boards, a previous favorite of mine Pavel Zacha might be playing his way off of that Boston roster. I'd happily flip Evander for him in the offseason.
That'd be nice.

I wouldn't even mind a smaller add like a guy like Alex Kerfoot. Final year of his deal at $3.5M next year. He's a guy who could add some puck-carrying and passing ability to the third line while also playing quality defense.

Utah actually has a few guys I wouldn't mind. Jack McBain and Travis Boyd kind of fit that bill too.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I mean what to do. When you look at reasons you want to stay "at a job" having your best friend there is a compelling reason.
Not if you are really committed to winning.

I mean its a tricky thing to navigate but the reality is that there is a salary cap and its more challenging to build a championship team because of that. Nurse simply isnt worth what he is getting paid and the big money tied up in his contract is playing a big role in not being able to build a proper defence.

I guess I think that Connor is smart enough to realize that having multiple friends on the team is more of a luxury.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Not if you are really committed to winning.

I mean its a tricky thing to navigate but the reality is that there is a salary cap and its more challenging to build a championship team because of that. Nurse simply isnt worth what he is getting paid and the big money tied up in his contract is playing a big role in not being able to build a proper defence.

I guess I think that Connor is smart enough to realize that having multiple friends on the team is more of a luxury.
If you saw that hug mcdavid gave nurse end of the game he clearly believes he is worth it.

Im firmly on the I wish we didn't do this with nurse 9.25 and think Holland is an awful gm. Damage is done and I see zero way out if looking to retain mcdavid.

For me this is a 2026 issue that will have to be addressed.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
If you saw that hug mcdavid gave nurse end of the game he clearly believes he is worth it.

Im firmly on the I wish we didn't do this with nurse 9.25 and think Holland is an awful gm. Damage is done and I see zero way out if looking to retain mcdavid.

For me this is a 2026 issue that will have to be addressed.
I guess it just comes down to this for me...I care less about the level of affection on the team and more about winning a championship.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I mean what to do. When you look at reasons you want to stay "at a job" having your best friend there is a compelling reason.
You make some good points, but I don't think they are as tight with Ceci as they were with Barrie and look what happened there.

Another loss in the playoffs and I can see McDrai telling the new GM 'do whatever the hell you need to do as long as Nurse stays'

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
You make some good points, but I don't think they are as tight with Ceci as they were with Barrie and look what happened there.

Another loss in the playoffs and I can see McDrai telling the new GM 'do whatever the hell you need to do as long as Nurse stays'
Did you mean to say that you cant see McDrai telling the new GM 'do whatever the hell you need to do as long as Nurse stays'?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
I guess it just comes down to this for me...I care less about the level of affection on the team and more about winning a championship.
We do. Now put yourself in Connor's place. He clearly views Darnell as a very good friend AND he perceives him to be crucial to team success.

Best case imo with things the way they are - we need a Devon Toews type trade the way the avs did. We need to have some trade massively work in our favor. Then let's see nurse with a good partner the way Ekholm has worked out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
We do. Now put yourself in Connor's place. He clearly views Darnell as a very good friend AND he perceives him to be crucial to team success.

Best case imo with things the way they are - we need a Devon Toews type trade the way the avs did. We need to have some trade massively work in our favor. Then let's see nurse with a good partner the way Ekholm has worked out.
I think a little honesty with Connor about the fact that his friends big contract is an impediment to building a better defence would be in order.

Reactions: GOilers88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad