Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oil Kings (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Navx94

Jan 17, 2019
Watching Guentzel and Tanev contribute while Henriques done a while lot of nothing has been frustrating. Obviously nothing you can do about Calgray taking a worse offer. You gotta wonder why Pittsburgh wanted Bunting and crap prospects.

I thought Henrique was missed in game 1 and actually has been pretty solid all playoffs. He’s not a flashy player but he is a big piece on that top line imo.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Lay Z Boy GM

Sep 8, 2010
Vancouver
I’d hate to trade Drai but what would a trade for Dahlin look like. Buffalo would still have Power and they already extended Power.

We’d need to start acquiring some shooters though

Tough to think about when we’re still in the playoffs. If we go all the way Drai stays no doubt.

Reactions: Captain Controversy

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Watching Guentzel and Tanev contribute while Henriques done a while lot of nothing has been frustrating. Obviously nothing you can do about Calgray taking a worse offer. You gotta wonder why Pittsburgh wanted Bunting and crap prospects.
Toronto could not wait to get rid of Bunting. There is no way that they were going to re-sign him. They never even made him a contract offer. He is like the anti-Hyman.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I thought Henrique was missed in game 1 and actually has been pretty solid all playoffs. He’s not a flashy player but he is a big piece on that top line imo.
Meh he was not great on the top line.

I think some time to develop chemistry would have been better

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I think the issue is a little more systemic than that.

This team still lives and dies with McDavid. The only guys on the team that had good seasons are guys who directly play with McDavid. Hyman, Bouchard, Ekholm, Drai. That isn't a coincidence to me.

I don't think any pairing that primarily plays with the second line is going to have success no matter who you bring in. Drai has struggled at 5v5 away from McDavid and he's either got bums or $5M players that are basically replacement level players at 5v5 on his wings. You move Drai up with McDavid and you've got about $15M worth of players that are too scared to try to make an impact on that second line.

I think the non-McDrai "core" need to be purged about as much as the "Core 4" in Toronto does.
With more thought needed there is something to this.

I'd rather get more Gourde ,Coleman, Goodrow type checkers. What we have is a Low IQ mess of crap

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
Ullmark +++ for Drai if Leo won’t re-sign
Sounds like the biggest problem for Leo is taxes and how much money he loses to taxes lol. I don't feel for him when he probably still nets shit 5 million a year 🤣🤣

If they can't sign Leo in the summer I would unload him for as much as I can before the season starts and be over with what would be nothing but a locker room distraction all summer...

Reactions: barry halls

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
Oilers need to retain Draisaitl. He is the most important playoff performer in the NHL. You cant win that trade. He is a legend, an Oilers legend too, but an overall legend first. How can you even imagine a world without him on the Oilers? If you can get Barkov maybe or Forsberg + O’Reilly , maybe you can live to fight another day. But why would you? Leon has earned the right to be an Oiler for life. He should get a white collar job with the team too. Player + Assistant GM. He wont let ya down. We used to have player coaches, but is there anything in the cap CBA preventing a dual role as an executive?

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
Oilers need to retain Draisaitl. He is the most important playoff performer in the NHL. You cant win that trade. He is a legend, an Oilers legend too, but an overall legend first. How can you even imagine a world without him on the Oilers? If you can get Barkov maybe or Forsberg + O’Reilly , maybe you can live to fight another day. But why would you? Leon has earned the right to be an Oiler for life. He should get a white collar job with the team too. Player + Assistant GM. He wont let ya down. We used to have player coaches, but is there anything in the cap CBA preventing a dual role as an executive?
If mgmt has any brain they make his dad an ex German player "Senior vice president European scouting" and pay him several million dollars. Next gm must have the common sense that Holland has lacked.

Reactions: 2for1PizzaPastuh

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
If mgmt has any brain they make his dad an ex German player "Senior vice president European scouting" and pay him several million dollars. Next gm must have the common sense that Holland has lacked.

Yes, the CBA says a player can receive nothing of value “directly or indirectly” from a club, but it does make you wonder if his father or his spouse would be eligible for a nice job. His father obviously has a hockey resume and he’ll, he developed Leon. I wonder if his gf being VP of public relations or something would cross the line. Theres nothing preventing Drai from receiving some executive training as well just that any compensation has to be calculated as part of his SPC.

I think he would make a good GM some day.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Yes, the CBA says a player can receive nothing of value “directly or indirectly” from a club, but it does make you wonder if his father or his spouse would be eligible for a nice job. His father obviously has a hockey resume and he’ll, he developed Leon. I wonder if his gf being VP of public relations or something would cross the line. Theres nothing preventing Drai from receiving some executive training as well just that any compensation has to be calculated as part of his SPC.

The Oilers could hire his father without an issue so long as the pay fits his role given his resume. If they suddenly gave him $5M per year to act as a European scout that would be hit hard.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023

Yeah I mean if his dad was a meat cutter that's one thing. But the man is more than qualified to have some exec title in Europe. Honestly the league can't do too much.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Who are you replacing with Gourde, Coleman or Goodrow? These guys all make $5M?
After this season? Kane, Kulak and Ceci are guys I'd start planning to live without.

I don't think that you're getting a Coleman or a Gourde. Too expensive. But that type of player is a good target.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
After this season? Kane, Kulak and Ceci are guys I'd start planning to live without.

I don't think that you're getting a Coleman or a Gourde. Too expensive. But that type of player is a good target.
But that type of player unfortunately cost you $5M at least. Maybe if you move Kane it makes sense. But if you are moving Ceci for example you need to spend the money on another RHD not a third line winger or center.

Now if you could somehow get Adam Lowry out of Winnipeg, then sign me up. At $3.25M he would be a great asset.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
For Marner or Tavares they would in a heartbeat I’d think.
Re-unite Marner and McDavid for a season and get completely out of the Nurse contract moving forward? Could still let Marner walk, though I admit it would take absolute balls of steel to do. You then need to bank on acquiring a big free agent to fill the void in the top 4, or a money trade, but you've just cleared 9.25 million for the next 7 years. A new savvy GM could do some damage with that.

I'm not advocating for it at all, and I don't think there's a chance in hell Edmonton would trade Nurse. Also I don't know if Toronto actually would, but it would be damn interesting.

Reactions: 5 Mins 4 Ftg

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Re-unite Marner and McDavid for a season and get completely out of the Nurse contract moving forward? Could still let Marner walk, though I admit it would take absolute balls of steel to do. You then need to bank on acquiring a big free agent to fill the void in the top 4, or a money trade, but you've just cleared 9.25 million for the next 7 years. A new savvy GM could do some damage with that.

I'm not advocating for it at all, and I don't think there's a chance in hell Edmonton would trade Nurse. Also I don't know if Toronto actually would, but it would be damn interesting.
I will say, it would be very disappointing if McDavid or Draisaitl left because of lack of playoff success, when from what I've heard, they've been pretty adamant about keeping guys they like around. Nurse, Foegele, Ceci are all guys that they really like or have allegedly gone to bat for (in the case of Nurse I think they sign him to that contract regardless). They seem to like keeping "their guys" around, so if you then turn around and say well you didn't make our team competitive enough, that would be tough to swallow.

For that reason I can't see the Oilers ever dumping Nurse, I think they want to win with him. But if Draisaitl is waffling at all on re-signing, then you absolutely do a Nurse+ for Marner deal if that's on the table.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad