Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pavel10

Nov 10, 2023
yes. It was based on a rumour that Georges Laraque said it, and Laraque denies saying anything of the sort.

What is confirmed is Draisaitl won't sign right away this summer, which makes sense, as we won't even have a GM at that point as Holland is a virtual lock to retire
Yeah he's been told he won't be coming back so retire is a nice way to put it.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
yes. It was based on a rumour that Georges Laraque said it, and Laraque denies saying anything of the sort.

What is confirmed is Draisaitl won't sign right away this summer, which makes sense, as we won't even have a GM at that point as Holland is a virtual lock to retire
Even if George said it, not exactly a great source lol.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Coffey would have. And the Stars did. So k?

The amount of money and time that Katz has wasted on stupid ex-Oilers for almost 2 decades, and somehow we managed to Matrix-dodge one of the only good pieces of advice an ex-Oiler involved in the org was giving. 2 ex Oilers actually since Staios may have been calling for Johnston too.

This team really is something special lol.

Holding out hope that we finally found a useful Ex-Oiler in Coffey. We damn well are owed one by now from the hockey gods.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
This Drai leaving rumor is fake....right? Hockey News just ran a story on it.
The guy who wrote it has 847 followers on Twitter. The article is trash, the quality of the article is trash, the Hockey News has been trash for 20 years. You can breathe.

Here's me to the THN writer...

jackie-chan-takes-out-the-trash.gif

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Nurse for Marner. Who says no?
I say no.

Nurse still does a LOT more good than bad for this team.

Coming in here after a game like last night to score some easy "lol Nurse sucks" points is kind of cheap.

Marner's contract expiring matters little since it still means we still can't replace Nurse.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I say no.

Nurse still does a LOT more good than bad for this team.

Coming in here after a game like last night to score some easy "lol Nurse sucks" points is kind of cheap.

Marner's contract expiring matters little since it still means we still can't replace Nurse.
What exactly does Nurse do that’s so valuable? He gets crushed by virtually every metric and puts up little offense.

Reactions: Vagabond

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
What exactly does Nurse do that’s so valuable? He gets crushed by virtually every metric and puts up little offense.
He makes up for his poor hockey IQ with athleticism, strength, speed and toughness.

Unfortunately his poor hockey IQ means that typically when he does make mistakes they are pretty egregious, and in this game he got exposed multiple times so predictably there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions. We're all pissed right now.

Would I like to replace him? Actually yes. Do I see a way of doing that that doesn't cause more harm than good? Unfortunately no.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
He makes up for his poor hockey IQ with athleticism, strength, speed and toughness.

Unfortunately his poor hockey IQ means that typically when he does make mistakes they are pretty egregious, and in this game he got exposed multiple times so predictably there are a lot of knee-jerk reactions. We're all pissed right now.

Would I like to replace him? Actually yes. Do I see a way of doing that that doesn't cause more harm than good? Unfortunately no.
Considering that the last two teams that beat us in the playoffs eviscerated his pairing I don’t think we can afford to keep waiting on him. He never steps up when it counts.

Reactions: Lay Z Boy GM

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Considering that the last two teams that beat us in the playoffs eviscerated his pairing I don’t think we can afford to keep waiting on him. He never steps up when it counts.
Maybe, but if we trade him for Marner we're asking Brett Kulak to play top 4 again.

Does that make us better? Is Marner a better playoff performer than Nurse?

Fishy McScales

Apr 22, 2006
schmocation
Darnell Nurse's performances get evaluated very much by the same metrics as a ref.

If he had a game where you didn't notice much he probably was good but nobody took notice so he didn't get any praise.

If he had a game where you did notice him it's most likely because he stood out in all the wrong ways.

And it's very rare you hear someone say "this or that ref is really good". It's mostly various degrees of animosity because all of them have hurt us at one point or another, as has Darnell.

Reactions: The Nuge

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Darnell Nurse's performances get evaluated very much by the same metrics as a ref.

If he had a game where you didn't notice much he probably was good but nobody took notice so he didn't get any praise.

If he had a game where you did notice him it's most likely because he stood out in all the wrong ways.

And it's very rare you hear someone say "this or that ref is really good". It's mostly various degrees of animosity because all of them have hurt us at one point or another, as has Darnell.
That, and there's plenty of confirmation bias. He gets singled out a lot for simply being on the ice.

I'd say the first two goals last night were clearly Ceci's fault and, he did have that shitty play at the blue line on the third, but how is Skinner not sealing the post there?

McHelpus

Jan 16, 2021
Just get rid of Ceci and find the right partner for Nurse. He's not going anywhere with that contract.
Nurse has no idea what kind of player he is so this results in his Dman partner needing to basically guess what he is going to do every shift. One shift he might think he's Mcdavid the next he's trying to be Paul Coffey.

Goodluck finding someone that is able to understand what he's trying to do lol

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad