Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Previous Poll Punted, Pristine Prospect Procurement Poll Pinned

Which of the recent prospect additions intrigues you the most?

• Noah Philp coming out of retirement

• Connor Ungar - Brock University (USPORTS)

• James Stefan - Portland Winterhawks (WHL)

• Marc Lajoie - Edmonton Oilers (WHL)

Results are only viewable after voting.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
I think they've both been good adds. An extra gear now would be great.
I liked the small spurts of chemistry Henrique showed with McD in their minimal time together. And it’s obvious Henrique is a smart player that knows where to be on the ice in his other showings. He hasn’t shown much play driving potential though, he’s in that complementary player category.

Carrick has been okay. But seemed to be trending towards replaceable at the end of the season… which is par for the course for lots of 4th liners.

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
I liked the small spurts of chemistry Henrique showed with McD in their minimal time together. And it’s obvious Henrique is a smart player that knows where to be on the ice in his other showings. He hasn’t shown much play driving potential though, he’s in that complementary player category.

Carrick has been okay. But seemed to be trending towards replaceable at the end of the season… which is par for the course for lots of 4th liners.
Good assessment. I agree. Hopefully Carrick steps up. Bottom line needs to play heavy. Even if they aren't scoring, they need to make LA feel it everytime they're on the ice.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Good assessment. I agree. Hopefully Carrick steps up. Bottom line needs to play heavy. Even if they aren't scoring, they need to make LA feel it everytime they're on the ice.
Yeh I’m hoping Carrick brings the physicality. He looks thick out there and looks like he can bring some pain. I was surprised to see he’s only 6’.

I think we’ll need line 3 to be a legit scoring line. Some combo of Cloud, Foeg, Holloway, Perry needs to get hot.

Reactions: GOilers88

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This offseason the oilers will get rid off Ceci, Kulak, Kane, Foegele. I’m unsure of Campbell as I don’t think the team wants anymore dead cap. Kane will be replaced by Holloway and Broberg will take Kulak’s spot. Maybe they run Perry back and Lavoie gets a shot.
But they won’t? Most of those 4 will be here for puck drop next year.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Hunter is 2 years younger than McCrimmon in Vegas and is just as ruthless. What we don’t need is a GM who wants to be friends with everyone else in the league. McCrimmon and Hunter are cut from the same cloth. They don’t give a F what anyone thinks
Hunter is only ruthless when it comes to skirting around recruitment rules. Something he won't be able to do in the NHL.

He isn't ruthless with players.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I just don't see any real reason to give a bottom pairing defender a 4 year deal. He's a #6. I don't know how often teams hand out long term contracts to these kinds of players but it seems hugely excessive to me.

* I'd previously advocated for 4 x $1.5M on the basis that it was more total $$$ than he'd get on the open market... so if you have sticker shock at $1.75 fair enough, I think that was a Friday typo on my part.

Having said that:
1) I'm not sure that I accept he's a simple run of the mill bottom pairing guy, not with the intangibles on PK and defensive stats he brings, but for the sake of the argument I'll accept that he is... even still...
2) What's the real risk? At 1.5M x 4 your worst case scenario is that you bury him in the minors and bury ~1.25M of his salary... you've then made a $250K mistake (assuming here that you can't trade him, which you probably can).

Keep in mind this conversation first came up when people were advocating shorter deals (2 years) at higher value (~$2M). Whatever the numbers, I'm saying this is a player that wants certainty... if you want him on the team, you are better off committing slightly longer for slightly less... it brings you into the territory where burying him and his salary is a real no-harm-no-foul option AND it lowers the AAV (in my example by $500K).... which matters today.

I'd rather have the certainty of "saving" $500K/year over the next two years with a limited downside of $250K dead cap for the final two years (if and only if things go south)... and keep in mind, he's only 27, so there is still upside and/or a neutral outcome of having him those extra two years with low AAV.

Reactions: OilynutEsquire

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
* I'd previously advocated for 4 x $1.5M on the basis that it was more total $$$ than he'd get on the open market... so if you have sticker shock at $1.75 fair enough, I think that was a Friday typo on my part.

Having said that:
1) I'm not sure that I accept he's a simple run of the mill bottom pairing guy, not with the intangibles on PK and defensive stats he brings, but for the sake of the argument I'll accept that he is... even still...
2) What's the real risk? At 1.5M x 4 your worst case scenario is that you bury him in the minors and bury ~1.25M of his salary... you've then made a $250K mistake (assuming here that you can't trade him, which you probably can).

Keep in mind this conversation first came up when people were advocating shorter deals (2 years) at higher value (~$2M). Whatever the numbers, I'm saying this is a player that wants certainty... if you want him on the team, you are better off committing slightly longer for slightly less... it brings you into the territory where burying him and his salary is a real no-harm-no-foul option AND it lowers the AAV (in my example by $500K).... which matters today.

I'd rather have the certainty of "saving" $500K/year over the next two years with a limited downside of $250K dead cap for the final two years (if and only if things go south)... and keep in mind, he's only 27, so there is still upside and/or a neutral outcome of having him those extra two years with low AAV.
I understand where you're coming from. I guess I'm just tired of seeing us wanting to extend players with the caveat being they can be buried. This always seems to be the first thing that comes up when discussing lower lineup players. Would be nice to see us discussing contracts for guys where the thought of burying them isn't even on the table.

I guess we differ on opinions of the player. I don't think he really has real upside beyond what he currently is. Of course I could always be wrong because what the hell do I know.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
I understand where you're coming from. I guess I'm just tired of seeing us wanting to extend players with the caveat being they can be buried. This always seems to be the first thing that comes up when discussing lower lineup players. Would be nice to see us discussing contracts for guys where the thought of burying them isn't even on the table.

I guess we differ on opinions of the player. I don't think he really has real upside beyond what he currently is. Of course I could always be wrong because what the hell do I know.

Well I'm not really considering burying him. I think he's going to be useful for the full 4 years. I'm just responding to your concern that because he's a bottom pairing guy, he is bound to regress at 28, 29, 30 and 31.

I don't see that as a major risk, and the downside risk is limited by his contract being low in the first place.

Also, he's going to be worth $2M in the open market, easy.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
And how do you know how Vegas treats its players? By all accounts- players love it there
They love it there until they're ditched and replaced a few months into a fresh contract. That's usually what people are talking about with McCrimmon's "ruthlessness". He has no problem moving anyone anytime. That really only works in a market like Las Vegas though. It also helps that he was gifted a roster that he has no connection to too.

If we're talking about abusing LTIR, that's a silly reason to hire a GM.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
They love it there until they're ditched and replaced a few months into a fresh contract. That's usually what people are talking about with McCrimmon's "ruthlessness". He has no problem moving anyone anytime. That really only works in a market like Las Vegas though. It also helps that he was gifted a roster that he has no connection to too.

If we're talking about abusing LTIR, that's a silly reason to hire a GM.
It’s not just LTIR- it’s trying to get every advantage in a trade as well. I’m done with GMs who are concerned about being liked and making excuses. Holland’s personality flaw is he needs to be liked by everyone and needs to be everyone’s friend- and that comes before the team at times. I want a GM who pushes the boundaries and takes whatever edge he can get.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Desharnais had a strong game against the Kings. He was processing the game quickly and making the correct decisions. It was great to see.
With Stecher occupying the 7th D spot Broberg is likely to be sitting for an extended period of time.
Might as well play.
Lol. they sent him back down, I wonder if they were concerned about someone's health before last game, I think it might have been Ekholm because he only played 18 minutes, but I think Broberg won't be up fulltime until Bako is out of the playoffs.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Lol. they sent him back down, I wonder if they were concerned about someone's health before last game, I think it might have been Ekholm because he only played 18 minutes, but I think Broberg won't be up fulltime until Bako is out of the playoffs.
Could be.
I thought that they were more concerned with Desharnais and how he (a very big player) would be able to adjust to the reduced time and space in the playoffs.
Ekholm is more of a 5x5 player anyway. Not much PP time but he usually plays on the PK.
What was his PK time?
Unless there are a bunch of injuries I completely agree with you about Broberg not coming back until the Condors are out.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Flip side of it. Bouchard was already at 22 minutes because of PP time, so it could just be that he lost time due to that.

The forward usage is out of whack as well do to this. Would've never guessed Perry, McLeod and Kane top 3 for ES TOI

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
My point with Ekholm was he looked laboured a couple times and it was just a stand out, only playing 18 minutes, when he'd been averaging over 20 down the stretch.

Eitherway, I think Broberg's recall was more health related, but everything just worked out.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
My point with Ekholm was he looked laboured a couple times and it was just a stand out, only playing 18 minutes, when he'd been averaging over 20 down the stretch.

Eitherway, I think Broberg's recall was more health related, but everything just worked out.
Ekholm (16:58) and Bouchard (16:53) had essentially the same TOI at 5x5.

The Ceci/Nurse pairing had approx 18-19 mins of TOI at 5x5.

I think that this is just about the coach deploying the pairings differently than he did to close out the season. Probably had more to do with line matching than anything else.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Flip side of it. Bouchard was already at 22 minutes because of PP time, so it could just be that he lost time due to that.

The forward usage is out of whack as well do to this. Would've never guessed Perry, McLeod and Kane top 3 for ES TOI
Its not often if ever you see the 3rd line (Kane, Perry and McLeod) get more 5x5 ice time than McDavid and Draisaitl.
Knoblauch was clearly changing things up and it seemed to work really well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad