Proposal: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Preseason Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Continue

I wonder if there will be any worth while waiver wire pick ups for the Oiler's this year. Maybe a Purcell and Klinkhammer replacement?

If leon makes the team my money is on purcell going down

Klinkhammer has already been replaced internally.
If you go to the line combos thread you won't see his name in many starting lineups

Klink will either be on the farm to start the year or traded or lost on waivers

he is not on the 23 man roster

From all the reports Byfuglien has come into the camp in top shape. Contract year is probably a big factor but declaring him fat isnt really being fair .
Also, if we can give a 6 yrx 5.5M deal to Sekera .. why fear 6x6 to a real difference maker like Byfuglien

Think Oscar Lindberg on the Rags will have to pass waivers if they want to assign him.

I'm probably the only Klinkhammer supporter left. I think he's underrated in terms of what he brings... he's physical, can stay healthy.. is decent defensively and he has better hands than people think. He obviously not elite offensively... but in a 4th line role... he's fine.

He's a proven NHL vet and you know exactly what you're getting when he's in the lineup. I'd definitely have him on the 23 man roster because he's a solid utility forward... but yes I can see him being waived and possibly picked up by another club.

Oilers have Pitlick/Pakarinen who play a somewhat similar role as well... so losing Klinkhammer wouldn't be terrible... but again I think he's a solid depth player and obviously with how soft the entire lineup is already, losing a proven physical player isn't really something positive.

I have no issue with a $6M x 6 deal for Buff, though I doubt he'd sign that in Edmonton. But he will be 37 at the end of that deal to Sekera's 34. Given Buff's typically carrying a lot of weight it is a serious question as to how he will be at the end of that deal.

BoldNewLettuce

Esquire
Dec 21, 2008
Canada
What about mike stone in arizona?

Sekera-fayne
Klefbom-schultz
Reinhart-stone

Is a pretty solid group, albeit still lacking a number 1.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
@Fourier... Byfuglien is only one yr older than Sekera

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Man i would sure love to get Okposo on this team..

Send out Yakupov..

McDeathbyCheerios*

What are you arguing...exactly?
Not adding another nhl d? Not adding stone?

Stone is better than gryba.
If we were replacing a bottom pairing d right now we would replace him with a prospect. We don't need stone

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Andrew Ference/Nikita Nikitin with 1M retained to BOS for 2017 7th rounder.

Please.

Also, should be fun to watch Fayne, Schultz and Yakupov in the first three months of the year.

2/3 will not be Oilers when next season starts. Remember that. The only way that isn't the case is if Yakupov scores 50 points+ this year.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Apparent the Kings had some interest in Nikitin, maybe the Oilers could still send him there with a 50% retention for like a 5th rounder.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Apparent the Kings had some interest in Nikitin, maybe the Oilers could still send him there with a 50% retention for like a 5th rounder.

The LA Kings of the NHL? I wouldn't be shocked if it's 50% retention for Greene, otherwise it makes zero sense from LA

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The LA Kings of the NHL? I wouldn't be shocked if it's 50% retention for Greene, otherwise it makes zero sense from LA

Well their #6&7 are McNabb and McBain, so they aren't great. A guy Lowtide had on this week said they were interested, just concerned about the cap, obviously.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Sorry I'm not buying that any team is interested in Nikitin. Only way he could ever possibly get moved is for a worse player on a similar contract like Purcell was.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sorry I'm not buying that any team is interested in Nikitin. Only way he could ever possibly get moved is for a worse player on a similar contract like Purcell was.

I don't think it's likely either, but some people think these guys can play for whatever reason. See Gregor and his "30 goal scorer" statements about Purcell

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Well their #6&7 are McNabb and McBain, so they aren't great. A guy Lowtide had on this week said they were interested, just concerned about the cap, obviously.

You can pick up 6's and 7's for next to nothing that aren't making 2mil though. Even so a team like LA isn't going to be looking at spending big money on a bottom pairing.

Also if it's a guy on lowetides show then I don't really think it holds value. It's probably yet another blogger spit balling.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
You can pick up 6's and 7's for next to nothing that aren't making 2mil though. Even so a team like LA isn't going to be looking at spending big money on a bottom pairing.

Also if it's a guy on lowetides show then I don't really think it holds value. It's probably yet another blogger spit balling.

I'm pretty sure it was an NHL reporter, but who knows. Some people seem to think, even on this board, that Nikitin's good year is actually a level he can play to and not an outlier for his career.

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary

Maybe NHL GMs have wised up?

Oh wait, someone traded for Clarkson, never mind.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't think it's likely either, but some people think these guys can play for whatever reason. See Gregor and his "30 goal scorer" statements about Purcell

The problem is Oiler fans see their price tag and expect top 6 out of Purcell or top 4 out of Nikitin. Nikitin and Purcell if UFA's this summer are probably on a NHL roster, it's just at a very low cap hit on one year deals and with zero expectations. Teams really have a tendency to take guys that use to be decent in the NHL, but got the life sucked out of them in Edmonton.

Nikitin's real issue is staying healthy. If he can he can probably be a decent bottom pairing guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad