Status
Not open for further replies.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Anyone else listening to Bob Stauffer?

Talking about future contracts... paraphrasing here

"If Edmonton decides to change the outlook of their defense and Bouchard ends up as the #1 Powerplay guy"

Thats a hint to me as Barrie being a cap casualty on the way out.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Anyone else listening to Bob Stauffer?

Talking about future contracts... paraphrasing here

"If Edmonton decides to change the outlook of their defense and Bouchard ends up as the #1 Powerplay guy"

Thats a hint to me as Barrie being a cap casualty on the way out.
Pretty the same thing that has been discussed everywhere else for quite some time.

Still think a lot of it is going to come down to the playoffs, as well as what is available. If you can't swap Barrie for a more defensive d-man and Bouchard struggles in the playoffs, can you actually afford to make that move? That in itself depends on what sort of cap savings you can get out of a Barrie deal.

That and I guess whatever ends up happening with the other potential cap casualties in Foegelle, Kassian, Keith and Smith.

And then add it what the cost is going to be to keep guys like Ky, JP, Kulak and potentially Kane.

As well as figuring out the goalie.

A lot of potential moving parts this off-season.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Agreed. I like Barrie, but our defense can't have Bouch and Barrie on the right side. We need a steadier presence back there.

I see Barrie as a rental this year. Hopefully we get an asset for him, or a direct swap for a more stable player

Barrie will be moved and they’ll bring in a lower cost “shutdown” D (perhaps in the same trade). Barrie is one of the ‘expendable’ players that could get value in a return (unlike Kassian who after a small uptick is trending back to a cap dump…pray he has a good playoffs I guess).

I think Barrie and Kassian moving out this offseason sounds very likely.

Also, Bob just said he thinks that Kane will get PAID this offseason. No one should expect him to be back, with the way his tone was.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Agreed. I like Barrie, but our defense can't have Bouch and Barrie on the right side. We need a steadier presence back there.

I see Barrie as a rental this year. Hopefully we get an asset for him, or a direct swap for a more stable player
Heck the cap space itself has value for the team improving as well.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Barrie will be moved and they’ll bring in a lower cost “shutdown” D (perhaps in the same trade). Barrie is one of the ‘expendable’ players that could get value in a return (unlike Kassian who after a small uptick is trending back to a cap dump…pray he has a good playoffs I guess).

Also, Bob just said he thinks that Kane will get PAID this offseason. No one should expect him to be back, with the way his tone was.
He's also talking about Bouchard getting PAID a lot after years of talking about Nurse getting PAID which we saw how that went.

Personally, I'm not paying Bouchard more than $4M/yr on a bridge deal unless he improves his defense next season to at least a passable NHL level which would be a significant improvement on his current level.
I don't care if he scores 15 goals, 50 points next season, the flaws on the other side of the puck are just way too glaring to risk on a long term deal right now.

As far as who is moved out, I'd be shocked if they can move Kassian without attaching the 1st at minimum. He's regressed to pretty much nothing this season is now injury prone too. Barrie will have to be moved if they want to re-sign their guys and improve in goal and I'm sure he's easily moveable at that number for only 2 more years.

Reactions: The Bored Man

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Would you guys do

Zack Kassian for Gallagher 50% retained
I wouldn't. 5 more years at what would be 3.25mil. Guy has a NMC, with a list of 6 teams he'd go to.

Too much risk on a guy that is struggling and has started to deal with injuries. Soon to be 30 as well

Reactions: Senor Catface

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara

Yeah keeping Kane is becoming more and more of a pipe dream.

What we have up-front is a luxury and this team just can't prioritize keeping him if it's at the expense of addressing the goaltending and defense.

Mcleod-McDavid-Yamamoto
Hyman-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Foegele-RNH-Holloway

Thats still a solid top 9 next year. Not to mention, if we fix everything else, a winger is the easiest rental to find.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd be sad to see Barrie go, I really like him as a person and I enjoy watching him play. But it makes sense from a team makeup standpoint, and you probably get something for him. I hope that if they move on from him and Kassian, it will be part of a plan to make room for either Kane, or a cheaper top six forward. I think this team needs that extra 20-30 goal scorer to really complete the top six, and I don't think it'll come from Holloway next season.

Reactions: vaniitio

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I did a new projection based on Stauffers hints today. I'm assuming Kane is gone, and for now, I'm trading Barrie for a draft pick.

I'm signing Mcleod to the yamo/pulju deals of 2x 1.175 and I'm giving those players 2 x 3.5 each. Maybe reasonable? Maybe not? I'm not sure

The Following roster needs a 13th forward and 2nd pair right shot dman, as well as an upgrade in goaltending. 6m in cap space remains (2.2 could also go out if you're somehow moving Smith in that tending upgrade).

McLeod-McDavid-Yamo
Hyman-Draisaitl-Pulju
Foegele-RNH-Holloway
Shore-Ryan-Kassian

Nurse-Ceci
Keith-
Broberg-Bouchard
Niemo

Smith
Skinner

If you can move both Smith and Kassian as well, you have 11.4m for a dman, goalie and 13th forward. That's reasonable.

If you want to upgrade Foegele, you're looking at paying a hefty price to trade him for a player with retention.

Our real miracles would be any of the following.

1) Keith retires. 8m in cap space.
2) Kane wins his case against the Sharks. Can sign here for league min while the Sharks pay him
3) Smithers retires.

McJadeddog

Sep 25, 2003
Regina, Saskatchewan

Yeah Kane is gonzo. I struggle to think of a player who was a UFA who NEEDED a big payday more than Kane does. He is deeply, deeply, in debt, and can't afford to take a team friendly contract or take less on a winning team. He has to go to the highest bidder, full stop, even if that bidder is in a terrible market or has a terrible team.

If we can offload Kassian for nothing more than a draft pick, we can use his 3.2 million for Pulj and Yams re-signings. $1.6 more for each would bring them up to $2.775 M each. I don't think that is quite enough for them, but it gets you in the ball park. If you could drop Barrie for no money coming back and sign a defensive guy for around $2.-2.5, the remaining $2 million from Barrie could make up the difference in Pulj/Yams contract requirements. $3.75 Koskinen's 4.5 goes directly to Nurse, leaving $0.75 M and the cap is going up my $1 M. So that basically means we have about $1.75 to sign a goalie without having to make more moves than the ones above.

It would be really, REALLY, nice is Keith either retires or goes on LTIR for next year. You could replace him with Broberg or Niemelainen for $1 M and save $4.5 M, which is more than enough to sign a starting goalie. The other option is we run with Smith and Skinner and hope for the best.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Yeah keeping Kane is becoming more and more of a pipe dream.

What we have up-front is a luxury and this team just can't prioritize keeping him if it's at the expense of addressing the goaltending and defense.

Mcleod-McDavid-Yamamoto
Hyman-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Foegele-RNH-Holloway

Thats still a solid top 9 next year. Not to mention, if we fix everything else, a winger is the easiest rental to find.

Yeah, I’m okay with that top 9 provided they get a more defensive Top 4D and a legit starter in. Could get a rental winger or maybe one of the young prospects surprises as well (Bourgault by the TDL?)

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I enjoy that everyone here just thinks Barrie will easily be replaced by Bouchard. Barrie has been light years better than Bouchard since woody took over.

I guess if you can use his cap to get a solid top 4 D and run Bouchard on the PP. I just think Barrie doesn’t get enough credit.

Reactions: TB12

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I enjoy that everyone here just thinks Barrie will easily be replaced by Bouchard. Barrie has been light years better than Bouchard since woody took over.

I guess if you can use his cap to get a solid top 4 D and run Bouchard on the PP. I just think Barrie doesn’t get enough credit.
Barrie has done no wrong. You simply can't have a team with this many offense only d-men.

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I did a new projection based on Stauffers hints today. I'm assuming Kane is gone, and for now, I'm trading Barrie for a draft pick.

I'm signing Mcleod to the yamo/pulju deals of 2x 1.175 and I'm giving those players 2 x 3.5 each. Maybe reasonable? Maybe not? I'm not sure

The Following roster needs a 13th forward and 2nd pair right shot dman, as well as an upgrade in goaltending. 6m in cap space remains (2.2 could also go out if you're somehow moving Smith in that tending upgrade).

McLeod-McDavid-Yamo
Hyman-Draisaitl-Pulju
Foegele-RNH-Holloway
Shore-Ryan-Kassian

Nurse-Ceci
Keith-
Broberg-Bouchard
Niemo

Smith
Skinner

If you can move both Smith and Kassian as well, you have 11.4m for a dman, goalie and 13th forward. That's reasonable.

If you want to upgrade Foegele, you're looking at paying a hefty price to trade him for a player with retention.

Our real miracles would be any of the following.

1) Keith retires. 8m in cap space.
2) Kane wins his case against the Sharks. Can sign here for league min while the Sharks pay him
3) Smithers retires.

Even of he wins that case, in no way shape or form os Kane playing for league minimum, reduced salary for sure but still would be minimum 4-5 mill a season

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia

I agree that Barrie gets underrated on these boards and can bring a ton of value for a trade. I'm also confident we can get the type of player we're looking for to replace him. If Islanders offer up a Mayfield for Barrie you get a more well-rounded dman that can play more EV minutes and allow Bouchard to play on the PP.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Even of he wins that case, in no way shape or form os Kane playing for league minimum, reduced salary for sure but still would be minimum 4-5 mill a season
Him winning his case could mean SJ paying his remaining salary less what another team pays him. In that case, his options are signing league minimum or over 7m

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Yeah Kane is gonzo. I struggle to think of a player who was a UFA who NEEDED a big payday more than Kane does. He is deeply, deeply, in debt, and can't afford to take a team friendly contract or take less on a winning team. He has to go to the highest bidder, full stop, even if that bidder is in a terrible market or has a terrible team.

If we can offload Kassian for nothing more than a draft pick, we can use his 3.2 million for Pulj and Yams re-signings. $1.6 more for each would bring them up to $2.775 M each. I don't think that is quite enough for them, but it gets you in the ball park. If you could drop Barrie for no money coming back and sign a defensive guy for around $2.-2.5, the remaining $2 million from Barrie could make up the difference in Pulj/Yams contract requirements. $3.75 Koskinen's 4.5 goes directly to Nurse, leaving $0.75 M and the cap is going up my $1 M. So that basically means we have about $1.75 to sign a goalie without having to make more moves than the ones above.

It would be really, REALLY, nice is Keith either retires or goes on LTIR for next year. You could replace him with Broberg or Niemelainen for $1 M and save $4.5 M, which is more than enough to sign a starting goalie. The other option is we run with Smith and Skinner and hope for the best.
Wonder if we could swing a deal involving Barrie and Mayfield. Cap savings and we slot in a good defensive minded guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad