Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Another One

Trade Tyson Barrie before the Trade Deadline?

• Yes, pump and dump.

• No, let it ride.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
7497032-8040966038-giphy.gif

Soli

Supervision Required
Sep 8, 2005
We have a good problem of having a crowded right side to work with right now. Tyson Barrie is racking up the points. He'll cash on a decent contract next offseason. Should we cash in and move him before the deadline?

Reactions: stratedge

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
If Barrie keeps this up they might get a 1st for him at the TDL? Not sure if I value the picks as highly this season with the lack of scouting.

If he's open to re-signing for a reasonable amount I'd consider that. Aside from Kemp & Kesselring (who look promising but aren't sure things), they don't have much in the way of RD prospects. Could finally be a position of strength for the Oilers.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Not sure about Nuge and Kahun being here for a long time part.

Prime aged players are usually a good investment. No lessons to be learned and not likely to fall off a cliff. Holland likes to keep good players and they're good players. Hopkins in particular has real value given his ability to play center as injuries do happen. I don't think Nuge walks.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
When Barrie signed here for cheap I assumed he wanted to pad his resume for a fat next deal, by all means let him continue to do so. That won't go unnoticed by players and their agents in particular, it could result in other players wanting to be one season mercenaries for us on the cheap and that isn't a bad thing. Some mercenaries inevitably form strong bonds with their teammates or the community and end up wanting to stay, Edmonton is far nicer than Detroit let Holland try and transform us into more of an "it" destination.

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Flip Barrie for a 2021 1st round pick at the deadline.

Trade our two 2021 1sts + Lavoie + Benson for Gibson - does Anaheim do it?

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I have no idea what to do with Barrie and neither should you yet regarding trade or keep.

Except, I don't understand re-signing him at all. At least not right now.

CookiesAndMilk

Generational Backhand Pass
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2016
Kyoto
Flip Barrie for a 2021 1st round pick at the deadline.

Trade our two 2021 1sts + Lavoie + Benson for Gibson - does Anaheim do it?
Ask the question yourself and you have the answer.

You are Anaheim and have Gibson, one of the better goalies in the NHL signed to a really good contract. Would you trade him? Be honest.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I don't see Barrie costing any more than a similar replacement. At this stage he is what he is. Even if he continues to put up points I don't see any team giving him a huge contract. My guess is that the Oilers will choose between him and Larsson and that that choice may be made for them if Larsson wants to move on.

I also see no way that Holland trades eithe Nuge of Barrie for futures unless the Oilers go completely in the tank. One thing that is true of the current format is that you can make up a lot of ground quickly on teams ahead of you because of the schedule. One series could turn around a 6 point deficit. Holland wll not throw away a shot at the playoffs this year for futures. Any trade involving guys liek Nuge and Barrie would have to be a hockey deal and that it more complicated when you are talking about UFA's. He's far more likley to trade futures to improve the team now. So perhaps one of those guys get's included in a package deal.

Last edited:

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
I don't see Barrie costing any more than a similar replacement. At this stage he is what he is. Even if he continues to put up points I don't see any team giving him a huge contract. My guess is that the Oilers will choose between him and Larsson and that that choice may be made for them if Larsson wants to move on.

I also see no way that Holland trades eithe Nuge of Barrie for futures unless the Oilers go completely in the tank. One thing that is true of teh current format is that you can make up a lot of ground quickly on teams aheedd of you because of teh schedule. One series could turn around a 6 point deficit. Holland wll not throw away a shot at the playoffs this year for futures. Any trade involving guys liek Nuge and Barrie would have to be a hockey deal and that it more complicated when you are talking about UFA's. He's far more likley to trade futures to improve the team now. So perhaps one of those guys get's included in a package deal.

I think Larsson resigns here for relatively cheap. I can see him signing for 2.5 million x 4 years

brenden

Jul 17, 2010
I’d trade him if I could not sign him and get a good deal for him. Also depending where the Oilers are in the standings at the time.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
I think Larsson resigns here for relatively cheap. I can see him signing for 2.5 million x 4 years

I wouldn't be interested in that term. Maybe two years if the Oilers sign him after the expansion draft or extend him on the understanding he will not be protected.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I wouldn't be interested in that term. Maybe two years if the Oilers sign him after the expansion draft or extend him on the understanding he will not be protected.
I have no doubt he'll be a UFA up to the expansion draft. But I have a feeling there'll be a strong market for him in UFA considering the limited supply of similar type of defensemen.

The only way Adam Larsson is an Oiler next season is if he wants to be one.

Last edited:

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Larsson at $2.5M for 4 years is a no brainer for me if they haven't already re-signed Barrie. That would be an easily movable contract. I think people ar e sayed way tp much by the money guys got this year. It's not going to be that way for more than one more year and even then only on a one year contract. Take a look at what $2.5M gets you on the backend. But I'd be shocked if he signs that deal.

Last edited:
Reactions: belair

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
20 games too soon for this question.
Should keep this as an option but lets see how the next 20 games go

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't see the need to worry about any of that at the moment. Our defense as a whole we need to wait and see what we have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad