Speculation: Rumours and trade proposals

GeauxPreds1

Jul 5, 2017
Murfreesboro
I'm really hoping we are not done with off-season moves. I do like the moves we have made but we haven't got any better at center and we still need a replacement for Neal. We need to make 2 more moves for a 2nd line center and winger. We do that we become favorites to win the cup

klt2001

Mar 27, 2011
Have you guys come around on a Fabbro for JVR swap? We could retain?

I would take that deal if he was a right winger. We are weak at center and right wing, especially right wing.

Last edited:

OriginalName

Aug 22, 2016
Imabari, Japan
Anyone have a guess as to where we go from here? We've grabbed some great pieces, but the team still feels pretty incomplete and even if we sign some nasty contracts with returning players in the upcoming weeks we'll still be well below cap. Obviously the focus now is on re-signings and wrapping up Arvytration hearings, but do you think that we'll keep trying to sort out our 2C/RW situation this summer, just let this lineup ride until later in the season, or that Poile will be satisfied with this lineup for the foreseeable future?

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Anyone have a guess as to where we go from here? We've grabbed some great pieces, but the team still feels pretty incomplete and even if we sign some nasty contracts we'll still be well below cap. Obviously the focus now is on re-signings and wrapping up Arvytration hearings, but do you think that we'll keep trying to sort out our 2C/RW situation this summer, just let this lineup ride until later in the season, or that Poile will be satisfied with this lineup for the foreseeable future?

Sign the RFAs. then evaluate the roster and trades. I see a hole at RW but the Preds should have forwards to fill the roster.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Just a hunch, but I think he might be one of the rare Predators to make it to a hearing. Tough to see the sides not being far apart; Arvidsson led the team in scoring, but the org will be worried about him becoming a flash in the pan.

I don't think it will, assuming Poile is willing to offer a 2 year deal at decent money and assuming Arvys agent isn't insisting on a long term deal.

If term is the issue and Poile wants short and Arvy wants long, going to arbitration playing into Poiles hand.

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
I hate arbitration ...... this is just a no win situation for the team. Hard feelings will occur. Bye arvy in a couple of years.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
I hate arbitration ...... this is just a no win situation for the team. Hard feelings will occur. Bye arvy in a couple of years.

I don't think this will be a hard feeling situation even if it goes to arbitration. Poile isn't going to be too upset at any reasonable one year deal because we have plenty of cap space and it would leave arvy as an rfa.

That said I'll be shocked if it goes to a hearing

AdmiralsFan24

Mar 22, 2011
Wisconsin

Baseball players go to arbitration all the time. It sucks to hear your team kind of talk **** about your ability but these guys get over it pretty quickly.

The Brewers had a player go to an arbitration hearing in 2010 and 6 months later he was signed to a 3 year deal that bought out 2 years of free agency.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
I don't think arbitration is a big deal. Sports are a business and this is the business side. I don't blame the team at all for being afraid that Arvidsson's real value doesn't equate to what he produced last year. The only player in the league with more of a point total increase from 2 years ago to last year than him was freakin Connor McDavid. On Arvy's side, they could sit there and use that to their advantage. On the Preds side they could (paraphrasing here) come back with "Dude. Your production will level off at some point. Prove us otherwise."

I think it is what it is. Didn't Wilson and Smith both have hearings a few years ago?

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Poile would likely get murdered in arbitration. Even if a player has had only one good season, an arbitrated contract is for only a year or two, so the arbiter is inclined to award the player his value for that one season, sort of like a "make up" for being underpaid that season. In other words, an arbiter is liable to award Arvidsson over $5M because that's what 60-point players are worth, especially ones that lead their teams in scoring. The arbiter is not going to really factor in whether it was a fluke season and whether he can sustain that production for the next 5 years, since it's not really his job to be a judge of talent. I'm not sure if an arbiter even needs to know anything about hockey.

If Poile has to give Arvidsson over $5M for a couple of years, good luck convincing him to take a pay cut afterwards, even if he regresses. Even if he regresses badly and Poile convinces him to take $3M for 3 years after that, that still works out to $19M over 5 years, so you might as well simply sign him for $4M for 5 years and bank on this last season not being an anomaly.

As far apart as they may initially seem, they may not really be so far apart. Yeah, Poile would probably like to sign him for $2.5M and Arvidsson's agent is likely asking for $5M, but both sides would probably like a long-term deal and that necessarily means meeting in the middle. I see Arvidsson, in the end, being more like Jarnkrok and being more than happy to take decent money or even a discount just to stay with the team long term. He's not going to twist Poile's arm or be bitter about the negotiations. That just doesn't seem to be in his nature.

Last edited:

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Poile would likely get murdered in arbitration. Even if a player has had only one good season, an arbitrated contract is for only a year or two, so the arbiter is inclined to award the player his value for that one season, sort of like a "make up" for being underpaid that season. In other words, an arbiter is liable to award Arvidsson over $5M because that's what 60-point players are worth, especially ones that lead their teams in scoring. The arbiter is not going to really factor in whether it was a fluke season and whether he can sustain that production for the next 5 years, since it's not really his job to be a judge of talent. I'm not sure if an arbiter even needs to know anything about hockey.

If Poile has to give Arvidsson over $5M for a couple of years, good luck convincing him to take a pay cut afterwards, even if he regresses. Even if he regresses badly and Poile convinces him to take $3M for 3 years after that, that still works out to $19M over 5 years, so you might as well simply sign him for $4M for 5 years and bank on this last season not being an anomaly.

As far apart as they may initially seem, they may not really be so far apart. Yeah, Poile would probably like to sign him for $2.5M and Arvidsson's agent is likely asking for $5M, but both sides would probably like a long-term deal and that necessarily means meeting in the middle. I see Arvidsson, in the end, being more like Jarnkrok and being more than happy to take decent money or even a discount just to stay with the team long term. He's not going to twist Poile's arm or be bitter about the negotiations. That just doesn't seem to be in his nature.

there really isn't any way to get "murdered" in arbitration because the most youre on the hook for is one year no matter how bad the number seems to be

Even if an arbiter awarded Arvy 6 mil for next year that wouldn't kill us. And if he only scores 15 goals next year nobody will give him 5 or 6 million in his next contract, he'll have to settle for a lot less if he wants any term, and if he scores 30 again he will be worth a 6 million dollar long term deal

predfan98

Aug 5, 2007
Other than Weber, who went to arbitration? I just think it's easy to say it's just business but I don't think Weber got over it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad