Rumor: Rumours & Proposals Thread | Trade Deadline Festivities

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
I heard Stauffer say that we have room for a 4-5 mill forward this summer. One thing to be wary of is ufa forwards. If they are good, they get paid a lot. I don't know how much of a difference maker a 4-5 mill forward is going to be.

A scary recent example is James Neal. Calgary GM Treeliving was universally praised for his off season moves but this has been a disaster. James Neal is 1 year older than Lucic, He makes 5.75 for the next 4 years after this. Slightly less cap hit but Lucic has a 4 mill signing bonus paid July which makes his final 4 years much less costly to a budget team.

Neal has 15 points in 830 minutes of ice time for a team that has scored 221 goals.

Lucic has 15 points in 810 minutes playing for a team that has scored 166 goals. Neal bring zero intangibles like Lucic's enforcer, he is a pure scorer who is poor at all other aspects of the game. I would not trade Lucic for him straight up.

This summer, a team is going to sign a player just like Neal for the same deal. I hope it is not us.

other 2018 UFA signings comparable age / cap hit of 3-5 mill

JVR - age 29 - 7 years 7 Mill, 29 points this year
Derek Ryan - 32 yrs, 3 yrs @ 3.125 mill - 24 points this year
Paul Stasny - age 33, 3 yrs @ 6.5 mill - 24 points this year
Jay Beagle - age 33, 4 yrs @ 3 mill, 8 points this year
Antoine Rousel - age 29, 4 yrs @ 3 mill - 27 points this year
Tyler Bozak - age 32, 3 yrs @ 5 mill- 25 points this year
Michael Grabner - age 31, 3 yrs 2 3.15 mill - 11 points this year
Vlad Name is stinkoff - age 26, 2 yrs @4 Mill - 20 points
Riley Nash - age 29, 2 years @ 2.75 Mill - 8 points
Leo Komorov - age 32, 4 years @ 3 mill - 19 points

not one good signing of the bunch

Ebs4Josi

Nov 22, 2014
Give NJ this year's 1st and next year's 1st + Poolparty for Hall. Get it done, NOW!!!!

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Give NJ this year's 1st and next year's 1st + Poolparty for Hall. Get it done, NOW!!!!

A top 5 pick, a probable top 10 pick, and a 20 year old recent fourth overall for an oft injured soon to be ufa who's only been above a ppg three times in his career, and scored over thirty once.

Count me out. I have nothing against hall and would welcome him back if we did acquire him, but there is no way in hell I'm willing to trade that much of our future for a guy who's probably gonna be asking 10mil/yr on a retirement contract.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I heard Stauffer say that we have room for a 4-5 mill forward this summer. One thing to be wary of is ufa forwards. If they are good, they get paid a lot. I don't know how much of a difference maker a 4-5 mill forward is going to be

I think you can get an impact player with that. Keep in mind we’ve got an owner with deep pockets, and a willingness to spend. The way I’d try and do it is structure it like Tavares. Tavares makes 71 of his 77 million as bonuses, and earns 16 million this year, and next year. Front load it as much of it as possible at the start.

Say you offer Eberle or Nyquist 4.5. Give them term and make the contract structure 6, 6, 6, 4.5, 3, 3, 3. Also make it mostly bonuses so they make 26.6 in bonuses (700k salary each year). It’s buyout proof, they get paid in the event of a lockout, and they make the money sooner, increasing the value of the money.

Is that not arguably more appealing than say a 5 year deal at 5.5, where there’s no bonus, and a flat structure? The bonus money is also subject to tax wherever you reside, and not where you play. So you could live in Florida in the offseason, and pocket 10% of the contract’s bonuses that would have otherwise gone to taxes. In the event of a lockout, you’d pocket like 11.5 million extra when taking the “smaller” offer.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017
I feel like Hall only makes sense if we can get rid of Lucic's contract.

Hall at 10m, McDavid, Drai, Nuge, and Lucic is $43, just over half of the salary cap.
Klefbomb, Larsson, Nurse at 5.25m is $13.5m
Koskinen + Backup at 1.5m is $6m.

That leaves $22m for our entire bottom 6 (minus Lucic), two complimentary top 6 forwards, a top 4 D, and two bottom pairing D.

2020/21 season (when Hall's extension kicks in)

Nuge/McDavid/Benson
Hall/Draisaitl/Yamamoto
Khaira/Quality 3C/Puljujarvi
Gambardella/Cave/P. Russell

Benson could compliment a top 6 line cheaply, ditto for Yams. Khaira and JP have chemistry, find a quality 3C with a proven track record to center them. Gambardella and P. Russell have good chemistry in the minors, with a good style of play for the 4th line. I like what Cave has been doing. Players not mentioned that can work their way in are Marody, Maksimov, and McLeod.

Klefbomb/Larsson
Nurse/top 4 RD
Jones/Bouchard

Jones is ready for 3LD now imo, Bouchard is most likely ready in his 2nd year of pro. To balance things out I'd look into trading Nurse for a top 4 RD, and run Sekera at 2LD until someone like Jones or Lagesson are ready.

Last edited:

voxel

Testicle Terrorist
Feb 14, 2007
Florida
I think the link you posted explains why you don’t just buy him out.

While it SEEMS expensive to buy him... it is worse to retain and have to replace Lucic with a $2-3M/yr player... we are barely saving any cap.

Face it we are stuck with Milan unless there is a new CBO period.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
While it SEEMS expensive to buy him... it is worse to retain and have to replace Lucic with a $2-3M/yr player... we are barely saving any cap.

Wat. Buying him out you save like... Literally nothing and still have to replace him and then have 600k of dead cap for another 4 years.

ImmuneEH

Apr 2, 2017

Or expansion draft. I think he'd waive to A) get a fresh start and B) be closer to family (he's from Vancouver). I'd pay the price to get Seattle to pick him in the expansion draft. What would it take, 1st + prospect? Someone like Ethan Bear (who was a star on their junior team). It's worth it, because we clear that horrid contract and don't lose someone a part of the future like Jones, Benson, or JP - if he takes a step forward.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Honestly I'd look at trading Nurse for a right shot D this off-season. His value is never going to be higher after all those PP points he snagged because of the Klefbom injury and his cap hit is good.

Id trade Klefbom as well in a lateral move too for a top-4 dman that can play for 75+ games a season just so we don't get crippled defensively every year when he inevitably gets injured.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010
Honestly I'd look at trading Nurse for a right shot D this off-season. His value is never going to be higher after all those PP points he snagged because of the Klefbom injury and his cap hit is good.

Id trade Klefbom as well in a lateral move too for a top-4 dman that can play for 75+ games a season just so we don't get crippled defensively every year when he inevitably gets injured.
I think trading Klef would end up horribly for us, IMO you just have to take the injuries as part of the package, some guys eventually shake being injury prone and not to mention Klef is very good relative to his cap-hit, I don't think you get someone as good as him back at the same or a lower cap-hit, it's not like other teams are out to do us a favor. About the only guy I can think of who is roughly equal to Klef who I could see getting traded for him is Dougie Hamilton and that's just cause seemingly every teammate he's ever had hates his guts.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
I heard Stauffer say that we have room for a 4-5 mill forward this summer. One thing to be wary of is ufa forwards. If they are good, they get paid a lot. I don't know how much of a difference maker a 4-5 mill forward is going to be.

A scary recent example is James Neal. Calgary GM Treeliving was universally praised for his off season moves but this has been a disaster. James Neal is 1 year older than Lucic, He makes 5.75 for the next 4 years after this. Slightly less cap hit but Lucic has a 4 mill signing bonus paid July which makes his final 4 years much less costly to a budget team.

Neal has 15 points in 830 minutes of ice time for a team that has scored 221 goals.

Lucic has 15 points in 810 minutes playing for a team that has scored 166 goals. Neal bring zero intangibles like Lucic's enforcer, he is a pure scorer who is poor at all other aspects of the game. I would not trade Lucic for him straight up.

This summer, a team is going to sign a player just like Neal for the same deal. I hope it is not us.

other 2018 UFA signings comparable age / cap hit of 3-5 mill

JVR - age 29 - 7 years 7 Mill, 29 points this year
Derek Ryan - 32 yrs, 3 yrs @ 3.125 mill - 24 points this year
Paul Stasny - age 33, 3 yrs @ 6.5 mill - 24 points this year
Jay Beagle - age 33, 4 yrs @ 3 mill, 8 points this year
Antoine Rousel - age 29, 4 yrs @ 3 mill - 27 points this year
Tyler Bozak - age 32, 3 yrs @ 5 mill- 25 points this year
Michael Grabner - age 31, 3 yrs 2 3.15 mill - 11 points this year
Vlad Name is stinkoff - age 26, 2 yrs @4 Mill - 20 points
Riley Nash - age 29, 2 years @ 2.75 Mill - 8 points
Leo Komorov - age 32, 4 years @ 3 mill - 19 points

not one good signing of the bunch
I’d take a chance on Simmer tbh. Much more complete game than Lucic, I wonder what his value will be though. I really hope we dump Looch somewhere it’s soooo frustrating watching him. No net presence whatsoever and handling the puck is his biggest fear.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
I think trading Klef would end up horribly for us, IMO you just have to take the injuries as part of the package, some guys eventually shake being injury prone and not to mention Klef is very good relative to his cap-hit, I don't think you get someone as good as him back at the same or a lower cap-hit, it's not like other teams are out to do us a favor. About the only guy I can think of who is roughly equal to Klef who I could see getting traded for him is Dougie Hamilton and that's just cause seemingly every teammate he's ever had hates his guts.

That's sort of my point, you say 'as good as Klefbom' to reinforce his perceived value as a top pairing defenceman.
The reality is that this is a defenseman that has been in the NHL for 6 years and has eclipsed 30 points once (I'm putting Klefbom on his current point pace this year IF he plays the rest of the games (yeah right)) and has averaged under 60 games in his career except for that outlier year.

At this point, what is a defenceman 'as good as Klefbom'? If we could get a 2nd pairing defenseman that can get us 25-30 points a year and plays 75+ games, we can pencil them into the roster as a known commodity. Or we can keep Klefbom and rely on him suddenly getting healthy for the 2nd time in 7 years or else we're screwed again.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
The Hall talk is most likely Stauffer pandering to his audience. He knows it'll get people talking because a lot of people here would take Hall back. If there's actually any inside info behind it that should be extremely worrisome since we don't have a full time GM in place, and that would mean that the new GM is going to be a puppet for MacT/Howson/Lowe or even worse one of them will be the next GM.

Stone >>> Hall .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad