Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Waiting For a Trade For Lu(cic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
A big difference is our defense is worse today then it was then .Moving Russell out makes it even worse.

Larsson is a shell of his former self. Klefbom is the same, Nurse is improved, Sekera is worse. Russel is about the same.

We also had a goalie over perform.

Our roster has 1 top 6 winger, not a single third liner. Sure your fixes improve the second line but our third is an average 4th line and our 4th line is ****, our defense is even worse cause you move him out and our goaltending with Smith is just as bad as last year .so yeah you add say. 40 goals from our forwards. We are still a -2, that's not even taking into account our worse defense. Still not close to a playoff team.

There is no excuse for Larsson to be "shell of his former self". He's 26 freaking years old, not 36.

Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson are all 1st round picks, all of them in their 20s, all of them in their athletic peak, all them are in the age range where they are supposed to get better because of experience.

Along with Sekera as far as I can tell, this is the first time in 3 years all of our top 4 are going into an off-season without a major injury.

Tippett needs to get more from these guys plain and simple. They're not some 33-year-olds past their prime who were 3rd round grinders.

Give McDavid even one decent scoring line outside of his and you've got a fair fight on many nights, because his line is without question the best on the planet. If there's two 20 goal scorers flanking Nugent Hopkins, now teams got their hands full.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
All in all we are not close to a playoff team. And no reasonable additions to our lineup for next season will make that true. Holland I almost guarantee is looking to 2020-2021 for the roster be at all competitive and his lack of movement this off season will show that

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
There is no excuse for Larsson to be "shell of his former self". He's 26 freaking years old, not 36.

Nurse, Klefbom, Larsson are all 1st round picks, all of them in their 20s, all of them in their athletic peak, all them are in the age range where they are supposed to get better because of experience.

Along with Sekera as far as I can tell, this is the first time in 3 years all of our top 4 are going into an off-season without a major injury.

Tippett needs to get more from these guys plain and simple. They're not some 33-year-olds past their prime who were 3rd round grinders.

Give McDavid even one decent scoring line outside of his and you've got a fair fight on many nights, because his line is without question the best on the planet.
There is no excuse for Larsson to be a shell, doesn't make it not true. Klefbom gets injured to much to be entirely relied on.

Sekera is healthy but he isn't close to a top 4 d anymore.

Yeah you give the second line a chance that improves our offense. To give us a fighting chance most nights but our goaltending and defense will still cause us to lose more games than we win.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
All in all we are not close to a playoff team. And no reasonable additions to our lineup for next season will make that true. Holland I almost guarantee is looking to 2020-2021 for the roster be at all competitive and his lack of movement this off season will show that

This is the NHL and that attitude is not acceptable.

The only team on paper that I think should have no chance at playoffs is Ottawa, and even them, if you told me today that they make the playoffs next season, I would not be entirely stunned.

The NHL is not the NBA. A team that was in freaking last place just 6 months ago just won the damn Stanley Cup.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
How about Lucic to Ottawa with all their available cap space ? Throw them some young assets or picks

We can pick up a better contract than Eriksson

Or does Lucic have a list of teams ?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
There is no excuse for Larsson to be a shell, doesn't make it not true. Klefbom gets injured to much to be entirely relied on.

Sekera is healthy but he isn't close to a top 4 d anymore.

Yeah you give the second line a chance that improves our offense. To give us a fighting chance most nights but our goaltending and defense will still cause us to lose more games than we win.

Give McDavid a 2nd line, and lets see how "easy" it is to play the Oilers, because dealing with McDavid alone is a nightmare for every D group in the league.

So now instead of 22 minutes a night of having to be sharp, you push that up to 40. That puts much more strain on every team playing the Oilers.

Tippett can manage the other 18 minutes with frustrating type of hockey that his Arizona teams excelled at.

Yes our D needs to be healthy, but that's true for many teams, how many teams can have the injuries we've had the last 2 years and not miss a beat on the D?

We are overdue for some health.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
This is the NHL and that attitude is not acceptable.

The only team on paper that I think should have no chance at playoffs is Ottawa, and even them, if you told me today that they make the playoffs next season, I would not be entirely stunned.

The NHL is not the NBA. A team that was in freaking last place just 6 months ago just won the damn Stanley Cup.
That team was heavily underperforming.

This is a roster that has 3 top 6 NHL players l, 9 4th liners, a backup goalie needing a backup goalie and even when fully healthy and everyone performing as should, a bottom 10 defense in the league.

St Louis, that team who was in last place has 3 defensemen better than anything we have.

The attitude in the NHL is build a contender, and contend for years, not just try and make the playoffs every year as a one off.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Give McDavid a 2nd line, and lets see how "easy" it is to play the Oilers, because dealing with McDavid alone is a nightmare for every D group in the league.

So now instead of 22 minutes a night of having to be sharp, you push that up to 40. That puts much more strain on every team playing the Oilers.

Tippett can manage the other 18 minutes with frustrating type of hockey that his Arizona teams excelled at.

Yes our D needs to be healthy, but that's true for many teams, how many teams can have the injuries we've had the last 2 years and not miss a beat on the D?

We are overdue for some health.
Our defense fully healthy is still bottom 10 in the league. It's bad on paper, even before the injuries. It's not like this is a great defense that had injury problems. It's shit that falls to even shittier shit when injured.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Our defense fully healthy is still bottom 10 in the league. It's bad on paper, even before the injuries. It's not like this is a great defense that had injury problems. It's **** that falls to even ****tier **** when injured.

They got 103 points 2 years ago with that same D group largely and now have a better defensive coach and better version of McDavid or Draisaitl. It's really just the forwards that have changed a lot. The issue with the D group is they've suffered catastrophic injuries both of the last two seasons.

No one said it was going to be easy, and it shouldn't be easy.

But this is the NHL and a Wild Card spot is an acceptable goal for every team because of the random nature of the sport.

No one is out of it.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They got 103 points 2 years ago with that same D group largely and now have a better defensive coach and better version of McDavid or Draisaitl. It's really just the forwards that have changed a lot. The issue with the D group is they've suffered catastrophic injuries both of the last two seasons.

No one said it was going to be easy, and it shouldn't be easy.

But this is the NHL and a Wild Card spot is an acceptable goal for every team because of the random nature of the sport.

No one is out of it.
Wild card spot is definitely possible. Not likely, won't even be upset if we don't make it cause I don't see us doing it. I've accepted that. We have been horrid for a decade what's another year or 2.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

Agreed it’s going to be yet another bottom 10 finish this year. We need at minimum 2 top 6 forwards to even try to compete next year. We have no assets and no cap space to add that. I’d be surprised if we even make a transaction before July 4, odds are Holland just goes Bargin bin shopping after that

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Wild card spot is definitely possible. Not likely, won't even be upset if we don't make it cause I don't see us doing it. I've accepted that. We have been horrid for a decade what's another year or 2.

They have the best line in hockey, by a good margin at that.

Give them some offensive depth and they probably get in with a decent veteran back up goalie.

I'm not demanding it, but I expect them to compete for a playoff berth. Every team in the NHL should be able to compete for a wild card spot.

You don't need to have some masterwork of D on paper, the Leafs have made the playoffs easily the last two years even with massive injuries and a blue line that isn't a looker on paper.

It's not about having the best looking team on paper.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
So basically, you are unhappy with every single suggestion.
I'll stop being unhappy with them. The results will be the same. There isn't enough that could reasonably happen this season to give the Oilers a decent shot at playoffs. Especially with the kind of GM Holland is.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
They have the best line in hockey, by a good margin at that.

Give them some offensive depth and they probably get in with a decent veteran back up goalie.

I'm not demanding it, but I expect them to compete for a playoff berth. Every team in the NHL should be able to compete for a wild card spot.

You don't need to have some masterwork of D on paper, the Leafs have made the playoffs easily the last two years even with massive injuries and a blue line that isn't a looker on paper.

It's not about having the best looking team on paper.
The Leafs also have a deeper forward core than us by an incredible margin and there defense on paper is better than ours.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Puljus draft +1 AHL season was better than Kapanens draft +2. Kapanens a good target but moving Pulju for him is not a great idea.

If the Leafs offer that, you take it and run. We'd be lucky if Pulju turns out as good as Kapanen is now.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
We have zero wiggle room. If we fill our roster with 1mill players we have like..5 mill to spend. We don't have the cap space to take advantage of any body.

I'd almost put money in the Oilers only have 2 new faces on the roster and us only being apart of 1 trade that's not picks for picks.

Our situation + Holland rarely trading = our roster is basically set.
Holland rarely trades because he built the Wings and did not have to clean up another GMs mess

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The Leafs also have a deeper forward core than us by an incredible margin and there defense on paper is better than ours.

Yes, and they also crushed 100 points both of the last two years even with Matthews missing 20+ games each season and other injury problems.

We don't need to be the Leafs, but it shows that you don't need to have some flawless roster on paper either to get into the playoffs.

It doesn't have to be as "easy" for us, once you're in, you're in. No one asks how you got in.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I'll stop being unhappy with them. The results will be the same. There isn't enough that could reasonably happen this season to give the Oilers a decent shot at playoffs. Especially with the kind of GM Holland is.

In your mind, Holland will do nothing and anything he could potentially do (like some of the proposals in this thread) are all bad ideas so they are screwed either way I suppose.

This is what I meant earlier when I said that you have a defeatist mentality. There are ways for Holland to improve the team. It's not all doom and gloom all the time.

On another note, these ads are driving me nuts on mobile. Get your shit together HF

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
The doom and gloom season is 24/7/365 here. Too many fantasy GMs and armchair players.

Now that Chia is out, at least one can normalize that anyway.

Every NHL team has a chance at the playoffs IMO. When you have McDavid, the amount of heavy lifting your GM has to do lessens considerably.

Give the dude ONE freaking line that can score when he's not on the ice, and I think even that much help, he'll take it from there.

And you even have a pretty good no.2 center who's young in Nugent Hopkins, lol, so it's like, c'mon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad