Proposal: Rumours and Proposals Thread: Vermette being bought out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I'd rather let Draisaitl develop at center than pickup Vermette tbh. I get that it's attractive to pick him up now that he's available, but I really don't see the point.

The point is that depth matters. Injuries happen. Player regression happens.

It's a bit of a moot point I think. Unless Vermette gets a multi-year offer (which he probably wont at this stage of his career) he's going to sign with a playoff team and take a chance at winning the cup.

hallhopkinseberle

Jul 14, 2007
london

It's a bit of a moot point I think. Unless Vermette gets a multi-year offer (which he probably wont at this stage of his career) he's going to sign with a playoff team and take a chance at winning the cup.

I totally see him signing with Pittsburgh for league Minimum

Vertmette is a better and younger verison of Cullen.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
That guy doesn't tweet something like that without having a conversation or trading texts with someone.

Not on something like this...and delivered the way he delivered it. its a matter-of-fact statement clearly

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't like the idea of trading RNH for Barrie. But if we can also sign Vermette and Wiz to a sweet 2 years deal. That would be the most balanced team we iced in a very long time.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
I don't like the idea of trading RNH for Barrie. But if we can also sign Vermette and Wiz to a sweet 2 years deal. That would be the most balanced team we iced in a very long time.

So...how many defencemen are we sending down to the AHL now? With this plan we have:

LD: Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, Nurse, Reinhart
RD: Larsson, Barrie, Fayne, Wiz

I assume Fayne is just disappearing in this scenario?

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
So...how many defencemen are we sending down to the AHL now? With this plan we have:

LD: Klefbom, Sekera, Davidson, Nurse, Reinhart
RD: Larsson, Barrie, Fayne, Wiz

I assume Fayne is just disappearing in this scenario?

Sekera-Larsson
Klef-Barrie
Davidson-Fayne/Wiz

Nurse and Reinhart belong in the AHL whether people want to believe it or not.

If RNH goes for Barrie, I would try and pick up Dubinsky with the 2017 1st+ if Columbus is looking to clear up space now that they signed Gagner.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Sekera-Larsson
Klef-Barrie
Davidson-Fayne/Wiz

If RNH goes for Barrie, I would try and pick up Dubinsky with the 2017 1st+ if Columbus is looking to clear up space now that they signed Gagner.

So, I feel like you haven't considered the salary cap and and the contract limit. Let's see if my gut is right.

I've seen a few times posted that if players hit their bonuses, we're a lot tighter than the $8.3 mill general fanager tells me we have. But let's just use the 8.3 as a base. We have 47/50 contracts filled.

RNH for Barrie is + 0.5mill. We're now at 8.8 in space. We then sign Wiz. Let's say 1.5 mill. That leaves us at 7.3 in space and 48/50.

We then trade the 1st and some prospects lets say, for Dubinsky (5.85). That leaves us at 49/50 and 1.45mill left for bonuses. And we haven't signed Vermette yet.

So, technically feasible if you cut out Vermette, but I don't know why you'd want to do that, or why Columbus is hunting for cap space right now. If we get Barrie, why are we signing Wiz? I don't care to see Nurse or Reinhart starting in the NHL... but overloading on pointless contracts is just silly - we end up stealing their AHL time if we send NHL players down. And as I've mentioned, I'm not sure how much over the cap we go if McDavid + 1 more player hits their bonuses.

Jejune

Mar 7, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think the chances of Barrie coming here any time soon are about 0.01%. Teams simply don't sign players, after saying they are going to keep them no matter what, and then trade them before they've even played a game.

The Barrie ship has sailed and it's time we move on.

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
I think the chances of Barrie coming here any time soon are about 0.01%. Teams simply don't sign players, after saying they are going to keep them no matter what, and then trade them before they've even played a game.

The Barrie ship has sailed and it's time we move on.

I do agree with you, but on the contrary the Erik Gudbranson trade did happen this summer.

What happened there is almost the exact same situation you say won't happen.

So while I agree the chances are small (because Barrie is a much better player), it still can and does happen every once in a while.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Barrie is probably more valuable now that he has a contract - and a fair one at that. If Colorado wanted to trade him before, they're likely only more enticed to trade him now. They'll get more for him.

Eberle + 2017 1st for Barrie would be good value for both sides. I'd rather that package than sending off RNH.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Avs still need to trim salary as is.

I could see Duchene getting flipped to Columbus, Carolina or Minny. Possibly Detroit.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Barrie is probably more valuable now that he has a contract - and a fair one at that. If Colorado wanted to trade him before, they're likely only more enticed to trade him now. They'll get more for him.

Eberle + 2017 1st for Barrie would be good value for both sides. I'd rather that package than sending off RNH.

we should not trade either Nuge or Eberle quite yet

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta

I'm not totally against signing Vermette, I'm just in favour of letting Draisaitl develop at center. However, Vermette would allow Drai to predominately take offensive zone FOs, while RNH/Vermette/McDavid handle the d-zone and PK center ice duties.

Could work. Would need to get rid of Letestu, though.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007

Colorado is not trading Barrie. Why should they now that they got Barrie signed for several more years at a reasonable cap hit.

They were never trading Barrie. That's why Chiarelli had to make the move on Larsson, the Avs and Ducks had no interest in moving Barrie or Vatanen.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Yakupov on the first line over Eberle and Draisaitl :laugh:

Why not ? Eberle produces no matter who he plays with . Yak not so much but he does produces playing with McDavid . Therefore it makes sense to get him going either to trade him or to keep him . A confident Yak that is producing only helps the team .

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
atleast Scott Howson is gone.

Yeah but let's hand out promotions to the rest of the staff, like Kelly Buchberger and Duane Sutter :laugh: This is becoming a joke. Even Bill Scott's title is a joke "Director of Salary Cap Management & Assistant to President of Hockey Ops". Wait, so wasn't he ALREADY Assistant to Chiarelli? :laugh:

PatrikOverAuston

Laine > Matthews
Jun 22, 2016
Winnipeg
So, I feel like you haven't considered the salary cap and and the contract limit. Let's see if my gut is right.

I've seen a few times posted that if players hit their bonuses, we're a lot tighter than the $8.3 mill general fanager tells me we have. But let's just use the 8.3 as a base. We have 47/50 contracts filled.

RNH for Barrie is + 0.5mill. We're now at 8.8 in space. We then sign Wiz. Let's say 1.5 mill. That leaves us at 7.3 in space and 48/50.

We then trade the 1st and some prospects lets say, for Dubinsky (5.85). That leaves us at 49/50 and 1.45mill left for bonuses. And we haven't signed Vermette yet.

So, technically feasible if you cut out Vermette, but I don't know why you'd want to do that, or why Columbus is hunting for cap space right now. If we get Barrie, why are we signing Wiz? I don't care to see Nurse or Reinhart starting in the NHL... but overloading on pointless contracts is just silly - we end up stealing their AHL time if we send NHL players down. And as I've mentioned, I'm not sure how much over the cap we go if McDavid + 1 more player hits their bonuses.

:laugh: Well of course adding Barrie doesn't work if you arbitrarily decide to trade for another $6M in salary that nobody asked for. That's a great way to win an argument over cap utilization: "But it doesn't work after I kneecap us with Brandon Dubinsky!"

Here's what a reasonable lineup would look like, assuming Barrie/Trouba/whoever was acquired for RNH and the team immediately signed Vermette to play 3C:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Pouliot-Vermette ($2M)-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen Lander

Sekera-Barrie/Trouba/etc. ($5.5M)
Klefbom-Larsson
Davidson-Fayne
Oesterle

Talbot
Gustavsson

That comes to $65.3 million with Ference on LTIR, or $7.6 million in cap space. That's easily enough to absorb the ELC bonuses while leaving room for a cheap fill-in at RW if Puljujarvi doesn't make the show- or a more expensive one if the 2017 1st is packaged with Fayne for either a prospect and the cap space to sign Hudler, or a longer-term option like Hartnell.

Either way, it's doable- and no Dubinsky is required.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
:laugh: Well of course adding Barrie doesn't work if you arbitrarily decide to trade for another $6M in salary that nobody asked for. That's a great way to win an argument over cap utilization: "But it doesn't work after I kneecap us with Brandon Dubinsky!"

Here's what a reasonable lineup would look like, assuming Barrie/Trouba/whoever was acquired for RNH and the team immediately signed Vermette to play 3C:

Lucic-McDavid-Eberle
Maroon-Draisaitl-Puljujarvi
Pouliot-Vermette ($2M)-Yakupov
Hendricks-Letestu-Kassian
Pakarinen Lander

Sekera-Barrie/Trouba/etc. ($5.5M)
Klefbom-Larsson
Davidson-Fayne
Oesterle

Talbot
Gustavsson

That comes to $65.3 million with Ference on LTIR, or $7.6 million in cap space. That's easily enough to absorb the ELC bonuses while leaving room for a cheap fill-in at RW if Puljujarvi doesn't make the show- or a more expensive one if the 2017 1st is packaged with Fayne for either a prospect and the cap space to sign Hudler, or a longer-term option like Hartnell.

Either way, it's doable- and no Dubinsky is required.

You seem to have missed the posts I was responding to:

Sekera-Larsson
Klef-Barrie
Davidson-Fayne/Wiz

My point was that he seemed to have no concept of a cap or contract management, not to mention a poor sense of what would tempt Columbus. I don't think Barrie is happening either way, but yes, I absolutely would prefer to pick up Barrie + a stop gap 3C.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Why not ? Eberle produces no matter who he plays with . Yak not so much but he does produces playing with McDavid . Therefore it makes sense to get him going either to trade him or to keep him . A confident Yak that is producing only helps the team .

The Yak sympathy show has to end.
Shouldn't Yak have to prove he is worthy of 1st line minutes? It always seems to be about poor Yak...he needs to be with good players to make him better. He is so hard done by....nobody gives Yak a fair shot. :help:

I have a suggestion....how about Nail Yakupov the #1 overall pick actually earning his keep with effort and smart play?
No complaining....just be a team player and put the team first.

How about the expectation of Yak making the players around him better instead of the other way around?

If Yak can show that he is a team player and busts his ass (with intelligence...not just buzzing around uselessly expending energy) and play on whatever line McLellan puts him on and be happy about it then I would suggest giving him top 6 minutes. Thats a big if.

Its up to Yak....put up...shut up...and be a Pro for a change instead of coming across like a high maintenance adolescent.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
ya...I'm sick and tired of hearing how great Yak was with McDavid

dude scored 2 goals with Connor as a linemate...I'm not sure why Yak is allowed so much slack by Oiler fans

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
Sigh. I'm just going to make one post that I'm sure will get construed as 'why do you defend yak!!!!!!!111" as it always does, but to repeat the point made by others:

Why is attempting to spread out the scoring a bad idea? We know RNH-Ebs has worked very well in the past. Why is it a bad idea to start that as a pair and see if McDavid can get Yak or Pulju (an unproven rookie lol) going? We can always switch it up if it's not working, but I'd rather attempt to have 2 good scoring lines over just one. Throwing Lucic-McDavid-Eberle together really concentrates our scoring on one line and then we're stuck with a whole lot of maybes on the others: maybe RNH can find his rookie form finally and carry a line, maybe Draisaitl takes the next step without Hall, maybe Yak does finally put it together, and maybe Pulju is the second coming of Selanne. It just makes more sense to me to spread out our chips to try and maximize scoring potential if we can.

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Yak was too soft for any bottom 6 role with the weak bottom 6 the past few seasons.

There is now some muscle on this team to allow him to skate freely otherwise there is no excuse now.

Puljujarvi will have no problem on the bottom 6 but he will be a regular top 6 right winger after 1 season if not this season.

Draiskull

Oct 26, 2005
Couple of thoughts...

1. If Brodin can be had for cheap Chia should go for him.
Sekera-Lasson, Klefbom-Brodin is solid top 4. Gives Larsson a chance to play on PP with Brodin getting major PK time. A luxury Larsson didnt have in NJ.

2. 2017\18 season the Oilers have a chance of loading up to go deep. After this season the only free agent we really need to resign with over 20M of cap space is Draisaitl.
The 20M excludes the ELC bonuses.

Lucic-mcD-Ebs \\ Pouliot-RNH-Pulj \\ Mar0on-Letestu-Cagguila are signed up front
Klefbom-Larsson-Fayne-Sekera-Nurse-Davidson are signed on D

all for 52.063M of caphit.

Loading up would have to be with expiring contracts since McD would need to be re-upped in 2018.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Real Madrid vs Cádiz
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $4,740.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Monaco vs Clermont Foot
    Monaco vs Clermont Foot