Speculation: Rumour, Trade, and Free Agent Speculation 2018-19 - Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maukkis

EZ4ENCE
Mar 16, 2016
Another thousand gone by, so we have a wheel-up.

From the last thread: Stone, Stone, Connor, some odd defense, Stone, obligatory Trouba trade, Stone. Continue!

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
If Stone really wants to sign here in the summer, maybe we can trade Wheeler. LoL. I assume Wheeler elected to have his next contract's NMC start upon signing the extension.

If they are seriously considering Stone, maybe it is Laine on the way out. I don't know, nothing makes sense.

I do wonder what kind of haul from the likes of NYR Laine could return.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
If Stone really wants to sign here in the summer, maybe we can trade Wheeler. LoL. I assume Wheeler elected to have his next contract's NMC start upon signing the extension.

If they are seriously considering Stone, maybe it is Laine on the way out. I don't know, nothing makes sense.

Wheeler this season has a Modified NTC and starting next season it's a NMC for 3 seasons. Speaking of Wheeler, I didn't realize his total salary next season is $10MM ( $6MM salary / $4MM bonus ) and his base in 2021-22 is $10,000,000

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Another thousand gone by, so we have a wheel-up.

From the last thread: Stone, Stone, Connor, some odd defense, Stone, obligatory Trouba trade, Stone. Continue!

Don't forget about Ferland, who is a better acquisition than Stone given cost and benefit.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Wow, we are a fickle bunch! :laugh: Not that you are the only one. Laine has been ice cold for a while now. But he is still only 20 years old and has already done things that few players ever do.

If we did trade him, the return would have to be a huge bundle.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
@ Board Bard from previous thread...

"You've basically replaced a cheaper, arguably better (or better-to-be) Connor with Stone. Who are you getting rid of the next year when Morrissey gets a $5M/yr. raise?"

No, I've replaced Connor with Stone and whatever assets you can acquire for Connor. So, for example, if Connor returns Pesce and a 2nd, you get Stone, Pesce and a 2nd for Connor. Or, if you trade Connor for a 1st and a top prospect, you get Stone, a 1st and a top prospect for Connor.

Signing Stone as a UFA gives you a prime asset for nothing except cap space. Trading Connor gives you additional assets.

The cap would be very tight, if not impossible in 2020 if both Morrissey and Trouba were signed at $8M per season. But, if you could shave a bit off from either of them and the cap goes up by another $3M next year (to $86M), the Jets might be able to do something like this...

upload_2019-1-8_15-49-59.png

If Trouba is replaced by a D with a lower cap hit (like Pesce), the Jets could probably manage. Niku would be two years better than now and possibly ready for a top-4 role, and Samberg would likely be ready for a bottom pairing role by 2020, too.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I personally don't think it's a smart cap management strategy to allocate 40% of your cap space in your top 6 wingers.

It doesn't leave much wiggle room for more important positions like defense. If neither Poolman or Niku are ready for front line roles next year then we are in trouble and won't have the space to correct the problem.

Reactions: MrBoJangelz71

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Wheeler this season has a Modified NTC and starting next season it's a NMC for 3 seasons. Speaking of Wheeler, I didn't realize his total salary next season is $10MM ( $6MM salary / $4MM bonus ) and his base in 2021-22 is $10,000,000

We've discussed this before, but I believe when you sign an extension, the movement clauses can begin immediately upon signing the extention. That would mean Blake already has a full NMC and not the 14-team clause of his expiring contract.

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
We've discussed this before, but I believe when you sign an extension, the movement clauses can begin immediately upon signing the extention. That would mean Blake already has a full NMC and not the 14-team clause of his expiring contract.

This was negotiated into the new CBa. Might as well have been called the "Visnovsky" clause. It allows players and teams to start a ntc/Nmc immediately when signing a new contract with the same team (nhl doesn't have such a thing as extensions). It is the only caveat to the cannot adjust ongoing contracts rule of the nhl. New for 2013 cba.

Largely due to Visnovsky who was trade just days before a 5/6 NMC was to take effect. He had signed the deal 11 months prior during the summer of 2010 and traded by kings days before nmc kicked in on July 1, 2011. Real screw job by kings.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
What do you think the trade value would be for Ehlers?
Not suggesting we trade him, but, it's generally a good idea to know the value of your team's assets.

Last edited:

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
This was negotiated into the new CBa. Might as well have been called the "Visnovsky" clause. It allows players and teams to start a ntc/Nmc immediately when signing a new contract with the same team (nhl doesn't have such a thing as extensions). It is the only caveat to the cannot adjust ongoing contracts rule of the nhl. New for 2013 cba.

Largely due to Visnovsky who was trade just days before a 5/6 NMC was to take effect. He had signed the deal 11 months prior during the summer of 2010 and traded by kings days before nmc kicked in on July 1, 2011. Real screw job by kings.
Is it automatic or something the team or play has to elect? I don't know why you wouldn't elect to implement it...just wondering if there's a loophole for dickbag teams like the Kings. ;)

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Is it automatic or something the team or play has to elect? I don't know why you wouldn't elect to implement it...just wondering if there's a loophole for dickbag teams like the Kings. ;)

It doesn't have to be used but I've not heard of s case where it hasn't been used since 2013 (when team is giving a nmc)

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
Maybe for a rental, but not long term.

I really don't think we need more than a rental this year. I think we might get a PP boost from Stone (don't know how it would be configured but the idea of 4 RH shots, all good ones, with Wheeler, intrigues me). Ferland on the forecheck and as a net driver, in my mind gets Little to 50 point territory, and Laine to 50 goals, that's the benefit I have in mind.

Allows a 4th line to be created out of Connor/Ehlers-Copp-Roslovic. Really don't see a weakness once we stabilize our 2nd line. Once Buff comes back.

As for long term, I have no idea how the management plans to make it work. I think Laine in and around Wheeler's salary, Connor on a bridge, Chiarot coming back are good bets. After that chips are on the table. Playoff performance will factor into a lot of decisions.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Can but I don't think it is automatic. This was mentioned immediately with Little's contract. I don't recall any mention of it with Wheeler.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Can but I don't think it is automatic. This was mentioned immediately with Little's contract. I don't recall any mention of it with Wheeler.
I believe you are correct. Wheeler is listed on Cap Friendly as having a modified NTC this season. He can submit a list of 14 teams he can't be traded to.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I doubt it very much if Chevy would trade Connor or Ehlers -- they are still quite a ways from their prime, and we don't know what they'll do at their peak. Also I think both of those guys will be better that Stone when they hit their prime, and a lot cheaper.

Also winning teams keep their guys together and grow a chemistry amongst each other, so I don't see Chevy doing this. Maybew if the deal invoved Trouba who wants out -- I could see something like that happening, but Trouba wouldn't go to Ottawa.

GaryPoppins

A broken clock is right twice in a day
Sep 10, 2016
Seeing that Dougie Hamilton is available. Signed long-term to a deal at 5.75M.

Wondering if he's a suitable Troubadour replacement...

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
It's going to be heartburn inducing to pay Laine $9M a year if he can't figure out how to be productive 5 on 5 again.

JetsWillFly4Ever

PLAY EHLERS 20 MIN A NIGHT
May 21, 2011
Winnipeg MB.
Goals?
Personally I like Connor better now plus he is young and will still get better
Goals are awesome but there’s a lot more to hockey than that and stone blows Connor out in every other facet. Elite defensive winger, better playmaker, can drive his own line, possession monster.

TheJadePipe

Mar 8, 2016
I’ll still take Connor with more goals and the addition to still grow to Stones level and beyond

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Mark Stone would be a wonderful acquisition.....but on practical level..I don't see it happening...

the moving parts required would be pretty unimaginable..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad