• Naw!

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
If Barrie is traded and they walk from the rest of the UFA's there is a lot of work going into next season:

Forwards:

x - McDavid - Puljujarvi
x - Draisaitl - Yamamoto
Kahun(?) - x - Kassian(?)
x - Khaira(?) - Archibald
Haas(?), Turris(?)

I imagine they buy out Neal, might ride out the Turris contract, maybe see about re-signing Kahun and Khaira as RFAs. As long as Ennis stays consistent they probably offer him another 1 year deal and he likely takes it unless he gets a much better offer elsewhere (he wants to play for his hometown and if he has the choice would probably retire here).

Defence:

Nurse - x
x - Bouchard
Lagesson / Jones (whoever isn't selected by the Kraken) - Bear
Russell(?)

Goaltending:

??
Stalock?

Then you run into the issue of having too many 'new recruits' and waste a good chunk of the season trying to build chemistry. I don't see them letting all 3 major UFAs walk, to be honest. The only way I see it is if they trade Barrie or Nuge in hopes of finding a longer term replacement for one of those holes.

Edit: I didn't really consider rookies breaking in but I imagine they won't want a whole pile of them breaking in at once and they will likely look to sign proven guys for the main spots in case a rookie doesn't pan out.

Let's go with one forward rookie and one LD rookie make the team. Still lots of holes if they don't re-sign any of the major UFAs. I just don't see it.

Edit 2: Shit, forgot about Kassian...I guess he'll still be here.
Barrie won't be traded. He's a guy they're going to ride out into the playoffs. RNH, too. Playoff teams don't downgrade, nor do they make massive shape shifting deals mid-season. Particularly when there's a 14-day period where neither team's players will be available.

When it comes to expansion, the Oilers really have no reason to be worried about who they're going to lose--particularly up front. If anything, they should probably be looking at an opportunity to upgrade their current forward depth at the deadline at the expense of their 'depth' on defense.

As it stands Seattle takes one of Jones, Lagesson, Turris, Kassian or Benson if they don't piss the pick away on a UFA.

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Barrie won't be traded. He's a guy they're going to ride out into the playoffs. RNH, too. Playoff teams don't downgrade, nor do they make massive shape shifting deals mid-season. Particularly when there's a 14-day period where neither team's players will be available.

When it comes to expansion, the Oilers really have no reason to be worried about who they're going to lose--particularly up front. If anything, they should probably be looking at an opportunity to upgrade their current forward depth at the deadline at the expense of their 'depth' on defense.

As it stands Seattle takes one of Jones, Lagesson, Turris, Kassian or Benson if they don't piss the pick away on a UFA.

I don't see them trading Barrie or RNH either. The speculation was from something cryptic that Bob said today about RD being 'blocked'. People assume Barrie but I wonder if they look at moving Bear if Barrie is re-signed. Not sure what I'd do between those two.

They definitely shouldn't be worried about who they lose to expansion, I'm hoping they look at upgrading the forward depth at the deadline as well. Think it'll be one or two forwards, no change to D or G.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I don't see them trading Barrie or RNH either. The speculation was from something cryptic that Bob said today about RD being 'blocked'. People assume Barrie but I wonder if they look at moving Bear if Barrie is re-signed. Not sure what I'd do between those two.

They definitely shouldn't be worried about who they lose to expansion, I'm hoping they look at upgrading the forward depth at the deadline as well. Think it'll be one or two forwards, no change to D or G.
I know this gets people really stirred up, but I'm wondering if the Bear for a young forward idea is something that is beginning to make a bit more sense. If you want to use the additional Bear slot at expansion to protect one of Lagesson or Jones, there are a number of slots up front to protect additional forwards.

To expand on that, Ottawa has Chabot who they need to protect on defense. They're going to lose a good forward.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I know this gets people really stirred up, but I'm wondering if the Bear for a young forward idea is something that is beginning to make a bit more sense. If you want to use the additional Bear slot at expansion to protect one of Lagesson or Jones, there are a number of slots up front to protect additional forwards.

To expand on that, Ottawa has Chabot who they need to protect on defense. They're going to lose a good forward.

I recoiled at the thought initially but I've warmed up to it and your analysis of Bear as a player. I think he's a good player but I'd like to sell high on him if possible. They will need RD longterm but if they re-sign Barrie or Larsson I don't think Bear will want to play on the bottom pairing for long anyhow.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

I don’t think people are too rattled about offering Bear. We have a bunch of young potential/strengths on the back end, including lagesson, bear, Nurse, Samurukov(sp?), Broberg, Bouchard, Jones, maybe to get some additional depth up front we have to let one of these go. If we do, then Bear or Jones would be candidates with Bear having more return potential from my perspective.

Reactions: belair

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I recoiled at the thought initially but I've warmed up to it and your analysis of Bear as a player. I think he's a good player but I'd like to sell high on him if possible. They will need RD longterm but if they re-sign Barrie or Larsson I don't think Bear will want to play on the bottom pairing for long anyhow.
Yeah, it's really hard to forecast at the moment with the financial uncertainty. A lot of guys are going to probably end up getting re-signed closer to free agency, I think.

Barrie's a tough read, obviously. And with David Savard being a pretty significant trade chip right now, I don't think it's a great idea to part with Adam Larsson. These types of defensemen are valuable.

Delicious Pancakes

Top Pocket Find
Apr 23, 2012
Home

Unless they're okay trading one of those UFAs for prospects/picks it doesn't really make sense. I don't see any of Barrie, Nuge, or Larsson being considered expendable by April 12th either, however I also don't see the Oilers as Stanley Cup contenders so if you're not going to extend them and can get some assets then maybe you move Larsson or Barrie if there's a reasonable expectation of getting Klefbom back next year.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
Bennett has the point totals of a stay-at-home defensman from the early 2000s. The guy is terrible and still somehow overrated.

People seem to buy into the hype of the Flames fart catching media and fans. I have a feeling that he'll get more value back than he should, though. Maybe Penguins will overpay for him because 'truculence'

Reactions: soothsayer

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
People seem to buy into the hype of the Flames fart catching media and fans. I have a feeling that he'll get more value back than he should, though. Maybe Penguins will overpay for him because 'truculence'

I mean, if the guy could return something like Barrie or Bear, he'd have been gone ages ago. His draft position and potential to do better with a change of scenery (I guess) may bump his value up. If I had to bet, I'd say the Flames get back a 3rd (maybe a 2nd) or another reclamation project.

Oilhawks

Nov 24, 2011
I mean, if the guy could return something like Barrie or Bear, he'd have been gone ages ago. His draft position and potential to do better with a change of scenery (I guess) may bump his value up. If I had to bet, I'd say the Flames get back a 3rd (maybe a 2nd) or another reclamation project.

Fair points, I think he’d be gone if he could have gotten a decent return too. I’m thinking a 3rd is fair value as well

Reactions: soothsayer

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
He's Pooalot but scores left I don't understand why anybody wants another player in this line up who can't be counted on to produce.

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I’m ok with moving Bear for A solid second liner left wing or 3C.

I just have a better feeling watching Lagesson play and feel he’s the better player.

Bear was solid last year but dog shit this year IMO. Not sure I trust him to find that game. Hope he does or it’s just a softmore slump. But this year he hasn’t pissed a drop to help this team win. Lagesson has helped us win this year.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Unless they're okay trading one of those UFAs for prospects/picks it doesn't really make sense. I don't see any of Barrie, Nuge, or Larsson being considered expendable by April 12th either, however I also don't see the Oilers as Stanley Cup contenders so if you're not going to extend them and can get some assets then maybe you move Larsson or Barrie if there's a reasonable expectation of getting Klefbom back next year.
It doesn't really matter if they're not a 'contender'. When was the last time you saw a playoff-bound team tearing things down at the trade deadline? Try explaining that to Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl let alone your avid fanbase.

XXIV97

Jun 2, 2016
I would rather keep Bear over Barrie. Barrie is not going to have a role on this team in the future.

We finally have a decent right d-man and now we are trying to trade him. Bear is so young. Look at what happened with Petry.

Nurse-Bouchard
Broberg-Bear
Samorukov

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I would love to do fun deadline things like Hall but ultimately this team needs a Roloson trade more than anything.

Reactions: Aerchon

gordonhught

Feb 18, 2009
Wow already a lot of awful suggestions in here. Bear for Bennett? Lol what is even going on here. They lose 2 games and people start to lose their minds. Bunch of pistol Pete's up in here.

Bear fir Bennett? That is like hall for larsson in reverse

hall and bear for Bennett and larsson - puke

Reactions: XXIV97
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad