Friedman: Rumour: Oleg Znarok coming to coach in NHL?

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Hard to see this happen. Znarok speaks russian and germany and few english words. Except if Rangers hire some other slav too. Irbe as a goalie coach? Zranok and Irbe are former teammates and NYR has couple russian goalie prospects. Irbe also was Caps goalie coach for a few years, so it's not a new job to him.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
Seems NYR may be trying to build around a 35 year old who hasn't played in the league in 5 years.

giphy.gif

No. That is not at all what they are trying to do.

The NA is too xenophobic to hire a Russian* head coach, but what if he's fine with an assistant's job?

You have got to be kidding me with this. Not wanting to hire him doesn't mean its xenophobia. Maybe it just means people think he is a shit coach. Or are we only allowed to say that about coaches from NA?

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
There's very little chance he would be the head coach. I could see him being an assistant, but head coach is probably out of the picture

Reactions: YandleBar

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Seems NYR may be trying to build around a 35 year old who hasn't played in the league in 5 years.

giphy.gif

Wrong.

The Rangers are building around Chytil, Kreider, Zibanejad, Skjei, and Shestyorkin, plus hopefully some other combination of our prospects.

Kovalchuk is coming to mentor younger players, acclimate our Russian players, and make sure we're not garbage year after year because "muh rebuild" like the Sabres or Oilers.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Hard to see this happen. Znarok speaks russian and germany and few english words. Except if Rangers hire some other slav too. Irbe as a goalie coach? Zranok and Irbe are former teammates and NYR has couple russian goalie prospects. Irbe also was Caps goalie coach for a few years, so it's not a new job to him.

Rangers have one of the top goalie coaches in the league in Benoit Allaire, who is going nowhere unless he wants to retire.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010

Lol, as much as I want to post another Ben Stiller quote; I will just say that the rangers probably won’t pick up this guy as the head coach, but maybe as the assistant. Like another poster suggested.

Also I don’t think signing Kovy would be the worst for their rebuild. The wings have guys like Zetty and Kronwall. The Rangers need that leadership too. Plus the cap is supposed to go up, and a team like the Rangers is probably going to use that space some how.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Lol, as much as I want to post another Ben Stiller quote; I will just say that the rangers probably won’t pick up this guy as the head coach, but maybe as the assistant. Like another poster suggested.

Also I don’t think signing Kovy would be the worst for their rebuild. The wings have guys like Zetty and Kronwall. The Rangers need that leadership too. Plus the cap is supposed to go up, and a team like the Rangers is probably going to use that space some how.

You disappoint me. Had you kept it going I was going to finish with:

giphy-21.gif

I get what you mean on the leadership front. Zetterberg and Datsyuk particularly benefitted from Yzerman/Shanahan/Larianov/Hull in the early 2000s, and I think Larkin is benefitting immensely from Zetterberg now. I dunno about Kovy as a "Leader" and "Mentor" though. I could be wrong, just doesn't seem like he's ever been that kind of guy.

RempireStateBuilding

Dec 13, 2009
NY

Just as an aside, NYR have one of the best goalie coaches the sport has ever seen, so I don't think there's much room for Irbe in that department.

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
I dunno about Kovy as a "Leader" and "Mentor" though. I could be wrong, just doesn't seem like he's ever been that kind of guy.

For sure, I don’t know about him as a mentor either, but he was considered one of the best players in the league at one point. He probably knows a thing or two. I’d rather have Zetty for the rebuild, but that’s not an option.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
For sure, I don’t know about him as a mentor either, but he was considered one of the best players in the league at one point. He probably knows a thing or two. I’d rather have Zetty for the rebuild, but that’s not an option.

It can be for all of your 1sts! :nod:

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
Rangers have one of the top goalie coaches in the league in Benoit Allaire, who is going nowhere unless he wants to retire.

Just as an aside, NYR have one of the best goalie coaches the sport has ever seen, so I don't think there's much room for Irbe in that department.

I wasn't familiar with Rangers couching staff, but Red Wings went once couple season with 2 goalie coaches. Jim Bedard was the goalie coach and Osgood were goalie consultant. But still i cant see Znarok coming to NA.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
31 Thoughts: This might be the most difficult NHL Awards race ever - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman writes this in his new 31 Thoughts:

Ilya ja Znarok both coming to Rangers? That would absolutely mind blowing. When was the last time a HC was not from Canada or USA? Alpo Suhonen with the Hawks? Don Cherry would have a stroke.

Znarok was fired from the National Team today and SKA was eliminated from the playoffs earlier.
Most crazy and stupid rumor in a long time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad