Friedman: Rumour: Oleg Znarok coming to coach in NHL?

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
31 Thoughts: This might be the most difficult NHL Awards race ever - Sportsnet.ca

Friedman writes this in his new 31 Thoughts:

13. A lot of good names already thrown out there as potential hires for the Rangers, including NCAA Wisconsin’s Tony Granato, AHL Toronto’s Sheldon Keefe and NCAA Denver’s Jim Montgomery. Wonder if they also take a look at AHL Manitoba’s Pascal Vincent, just named the league’s coach of the year. He fits their profile, too.
14. There are some wild rumours that Russian national team head coach Oleg Znarok may be coming to North America. His club team is St. Petersburg, current home of Ilya Kovalchuk.
Ilya ja Znarok both coming to Rangers? That would absolutely mind blowing. When was the last time a HC was not from Canada or USA? Alpo Suhonen with the Hawks? Don Cherry would have a stroke.

Znarok was fired from the National Team today and SKA was eliminated from the playoffs earlier.

Vancouver Canucks

Feb 8, 2015
This is good news for NYR. Buchnevich, Georgiev, and, in the future, Shestyorkin will definitely benefit.

EpicDing

which is why I included the question mark earlier
Oct 2, 2011
Hartford
Please no. He never played Buchnevich and he sat Shestyorkin all playoffs. Didn't play Rykov much either. Leans on vets, exactly the opposite of what this team needs.

Saekk

Jul 25, 2017
Rangers would jump in straight to the top of my most hated list, if the f***ing beaver goes to coach them.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Seems NYR may be trying to build around a 35 year old who hasn't played in the league in 5 years.

giphy.gif

Reactions: snipes

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
I thought he stepped down. Anyway, I'd be surprised if he gets an NHL head coaching gig with very minimal playing or coaching experience in NA. Maybe assistant.

Acallabeth

Post approved by Ovechkin
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
The NA is too xenophobic to hire a Russian* head coach, but what if he's fine with an assistant's job?

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I highly doubt he's their next head coach.

Also, the title is a bit misleading. The article makes absolutely no reference to him being in the running for the Rangers job.

MaxV

Nov 6, 2006
New York, NY
He has an old school mentality (top 6 role, bottom 6 role), his way is obsolete in NHL.

He is also similar to previous Rangers’ coach, experience>talent mentality.

Reactions: DekeLikeYouMeanIt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad